Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default US wants to force lower speeds on truck and bus drivers

On 9/1/2016 5:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per burfordTjustice:
A new proposal Friday would impose a nationwide limit by electronically capping speeds with a device on newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds. Regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour, though that could change.

Whatever the speed limit, drivers would be physically prevented from exceeding it.

The government said capping speeds for large vehicles will reduce the
+1,115 fatal crashes involving heavy trucks+ that occur each year and
save $1 billion in fuel costs.

"But Norita Taylor, spokeswoman for the 157,000-member Owner Operator
Independent Drivers Association, said her group has opposed the speed
limiters because they create dangerous interactions between vehicles as
faster cars slow down for trucks. "Differentials in speed increase
interactions between vehicles, which increases the likelihood of
crashes," Taylor said."

Understood she's a paid industry spin doctor... but, even so, that rings
true to me given the lack of lane discipline in the USA.

Seemed to me like it was working on the Autobahns I drove on 20 years
ago.... but that was then and this is now.... and then everybody was
playing by the same rules.

I was under the impression that there were speed limits for trucks on
the Autobahn. Also heard they had to contain a chart recorder (this was
30 years ago while on tour there) and police could stop them and fine
them for speeding even though they exceeded it hours ago.