Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Win7 question

The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar
"icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black
square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a
fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line
across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it
might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't
seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote

| Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

Right-click - Properties should tell you where
it points to. You didn't indicate wheter it was on
the Desktop or the taskbar, but either way it
sounds like some kind of shortcut, maybe installed
by something she unknowingly allowed in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:40:44 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar
"icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black
square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a
fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line
across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it
might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't
seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?
--
Snag

Did you try clicking on it, left or right button? Can't recall seeing
anything that looks like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote

Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

Right-click - Properties should tell you where
it points to. You didn't indicate wheter it was on
the Desktop or the taskbar, but either way it
sounds like some kind of shortcut, maybe installed
by something she unknowingly allowed in.

Nope , right click just brings up screen properties .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/08/16 20:40, Terry Coombs wrote:
The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar
"icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black
square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a
fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line
across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it
might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't
seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

I can only say you just cannot tell. The webcams on my two notebooks
don't have indicator lights as well.

If you worried about spyware, then.... damage/remove it and buy a USB
webcam that has proper indicator lights?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/08/16 21:04, trader_4 wrote:

Did you try clicking on it, left or right button? Can't recall seeing
anything that looks like that.

You might want to consider the possibility of spyware....

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:40:44 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an
unfamiliar "icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display
. It's a black square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid
on it's face with a fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It
has a single angled line across the icon , like the "no parking/no
whatever" symbol . I thought it might be an indicator that the
webcam was turned off , but that doersn't seem to be it . Any idea
what this might indicate and how to turn it off ? --
Snag

Did you try clicking on it, left or right button? Can't recall seeing
anything that looks like that.

Clicking on it has no effect , right click brings up the screen properties
window . Restarting did make it gp away , but she has seen this icon before
usually in the lower right hand corner of her facebook page .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 08:45:42 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Did you try clicking on it, left or right button? Can't recall seeing
anything that looks like that.

Clicking on it has no effect , right click brings up the screen properties
window . Restarting did make it gp away , but she has seen this icon before
usually in the lower right hand corner of her facebook page .

Next time it shows, open Task Manager Processes tab and look for a
hint of what is running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 9:45:53 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Next time it appears there, click on it on FB and see what happens.
I think it was asked already, is this on the lower desktop or in the
task bar at the very bottom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 07:40:36 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar
"icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black
square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a
fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line
across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it
might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't
seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

Look at the top right Page Up key - the blue Function icon -
this is the keyboard lamp - but my T500 Win 8 doesn't show
any indication when it is turned on ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

It's on the desktop .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 07:40:36 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar
"icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black
square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a
fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line
across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it
might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't
seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

How about posting an image of it on an image sharing site?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an
unfamiliar "icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display

Clicking on it has no effect, right click brings up the screen
properties window. Restarting did make it go away, but she has
seen this icon before usually in the lower right hand corner
of her facebook page.

If clicking on it has no effect, it sounds like part of the screen did not
redraw. Try clicking the desktop, then press F5 to refresh the screen.

You could also try selecting a new image or background pattern for the
wallpaper.

It would also be a good idea to scan for viruses and spyware.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On my Thinkpad you control the light by pressing a combination of the Fn
(lower left key on my keyboard) and Space bar keys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone brought next idea :
On my Thinkpad you control the light by pressing a combination of the Fn
(lower left key on my keyboard) and Space bar keys.

On mine (T-41) that is the magnifier. The light is lower left (Fn) and
upper right (PgUp).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Default TERRY COON ASKS A "Win7 question"

On 8/23/2016 5:40 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar
"icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black
square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a
fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line
across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it
might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't
seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

It's the Dick symbol indicating that you got dicked by a hacker, who now
controls the horizontal, the vertical, and all points in betwixt.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Oh DO please **** off and die .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 12:46:32 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

You mean you haven't covered that webcam lens with a piece of tape
like those of us who know better do?

This desktop doesn't have a webcam . The wife's laptop does , but it's
disabled .

....and there is spyware that can re-enable it!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Maybe that's what that symbol is trying to tell you.

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

You mean you haven't covered that webcam lens with a piece of tape
like those of us who know better do?

This desktop doesn't have a webcam . The wife's laptop does , but
it's disabled .

...and there is spyware that can re-enable it!

Said spyware would have to get past several layers of malware , spyware ,
and virus protection on the computer . You're still a jackhole .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

You mean you haven't covered that webcam lens with a piece of tape
like those of us who know better do?

This desktop doesn't have a webcam . The wife's laptop does , but
it's disabled .

...and there is spyware that can re-enable it!

Said spyware would have to get past several layers of malware , spyware ,
and virus protection on the computer . You're still a jackhole .

They haven't yet invented spyware that can get past a piece of black
electrical tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

No dumbass , if you'd read the whole thread you'd know the symbol
indicates that the keyboard light is off .

The "whole thread" isn't in the group I'm reading this from, Dumbass.
Would you like to buy some pictures of your wife rubbing one out,
straight from her webcam? Apparently, she's a "lefty". LOL!

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Originator of the "Dance for me" (tm) lame
Copyright 2016
all rights reserved
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Oh , I see . You're one of those who are too stupid to figure out how to
configure a newsgroup feed and use a real news client instead of a web
interface . You can **** off too .
And what are you talking about as regards my wife ? You'd have to be a lot
smarter than you apparently are to hack her webcam .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

You're obviously too stupid to read headers, or you'd know I'm not
posting through a web-based interface. No wonder the Kernel crossposted
you to AUK so that we might be entertained by you.

And what are you talking about as regards my wife ? You'd have to be a lot
smarter than you apparently are to hack her webcam .

I thought it was pretty clear. She uses her left hand to pleasure
herself. Ask me how I know...

--
Snag

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Originator of the "Dance for me" (tm) lame
Copyright 2016
all rights reserved
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,

says...

[...]

Just shows how little you know . My wife is neither left handed nor does
she have ro resort to masturbation as do all the women you have known . If
you were man enough ...
Now run along little troll , I'm done wirh you .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,

says...

[...]

I'LL tell you when you're done. I noticed you didn't have anything to
say about the fact you can't read headers to tell when someone's using a
news client instead of a web-based interface, NooB...

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Originator of the "Dance for me" (tm) lame
Copyright 2016
all rights reserved
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 8/24/2016 1:20 PM, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,

says...

[...]

Pardon me....... May I just say here, LOL.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , ricksabian1
@gmail.com says...

In article , says...

[...]

Rickijoke comes to mind.

--

__

Usenet lits sco
The Royal Order of the DoW.
GIT-R-DONE!
Owner of Fakey
alt.usenet.legends.lamey
AUK Offishal Tinfoil Sombrero award 05/07
Sweetness Seal Of Approval #3
#20 Usenet asshole
#6 Lits Slut
#9 Cog in the AUK Hate Machine
Approved by Lionel
#11 Most posting trolls/hunters/flonkers 2007
#1 Disenfranchised AUK Kookologist.
#1 AUK Galactic Killfile Award
we all know how well that works...LOL
Co-inventer of the "Prongtard Yap-Dog Award"
working on one of them specheel AUK awards
St. Lamey - Patron Saint Of Bridges, Underpasses and Caves
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Hey Checkie, He called you a dumbass. LOL

--

__

Usenet lits sco
The Royal Order of the DoW.
GIT-R-DONE!
Owner of Fakey
alt.usenet.legends.lamey
AUK Offishal Tinfoil Sombrero award 05/07
Sweetness Seal Of Approval #3
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

You are clueless aren't ya?

And what are you talking about as regards my wife ? You'd have to be a lot
smarter than you apparently are to hack her webcam .
--

It's been done.

--

__

Usenet lits sco
The Royal Order of the DoW.
GIT-R-DONE!
Owner of Fakey
alt.usenet.legends.lamey
AUK Offishal Tinfoil Sombrero award 05/07
Sweetness Seal Of Approval #3
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , ricksabian1
@gmail.com says...

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

He is a breath of stale air.

And what are you talking about as regards my wife ? You'd have to be a lot
smarter than you apparently are to hack her webcam .

I thought it was pretty clear. She uses her left hand to pleasure
herself. Ask me how I know...

You promised not to tell.

--

__

Usenet lits sco
The Royal Order of the DoW.
GIT-R-DONE!
Owner of Fakey
alt.usenet.legends.lamey
AUK Offishal Tinfoil Sombrero award 05/07
Sweetness Seal Of Approval #3
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

In article , says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,
says...

Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
In article ,

says...

[...]

Poor Checkie, His new toy is running away with tail between legs.

--

__