Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chain Saw: Which To Purchase ?

Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 06:51:39 -0400
Bob wrote:

Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I
think, that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

https://www.amazon.com/OREGON-CORDLE...ttery+chainsaw

and get a 4Ah battery ...it comes with a 2Ah battery
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I
think, that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

One of the battery powered saws might be more suitable for your purposes .
Others may know more about them ... my saws are all gas , but then I live in
a clearing out in the woods and heat with a wood burning stove . I have a
Poulan , a Stihl , and 2 small older Homelites . Of these I prefer the Stihl
for most cutting .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 3:51 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Nobuddy cuts brush with a chain saw. Try a weed wacker instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/16 6:51 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

If you get a gasser, get one that has some kind of vibration damper;
i.e., the handle has a spring/rubber bushing between it and the body of
the saw.

I've got some mileage on me now too and I sold my gas saw and got a
medium size electric instead. It's powerful enough for routine trimming,
clean-up, and downed tree removal.

The extension cord is definitely limiting and a PIA- but it beats the
hassle of maintaining a fresh gas can, oil mixing, and emptying the saw
and running it dry after its very occasional uses.

--
With all this €śgun control€ť talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 5:51 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

I've had a few of them over the years but never had an Echo. Problems
with many of the 2 cycle leaf blowers, weed whackers, hedge trimmers,
etc. Service shop told me to take a look at Echo as they are the real
deal. 5 year homeowner warranty, pretty much trouble free, great
service and parts network should you need it.

Since getting that recommendation I did my own research and spoke with
friends who own Echo equipment. Confirmed what the service shop told me.

I now own a leaf blower and weed whacker from Echo and they work fine.
Whacker I bought new, the blower was a 6 year old, commercially used top
of the line back pack blower.

A friend bought his weed whacker ten years ago and has never had it
serviced, changed out the plug one time, and it still starts and runs on
the second or third pull without fail.

Recommended to use only premium, no alcohol fuel or, preferably the 50:1
pre-mix fuel that is alcohol free.

I have a 18 year old Homelite saw that has been pretty good but it's
getting long in the tooth and stubborn. My next chain saw will
definitely be an Echo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 6:51:39 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

If you can reach it with an extension cord, I'd get an electric.
I have a gas Stihl, but it's always been a pain in the ass to start.
If you use it regularly, it's not a problem. But when you use it
only every two years, it's not good. I bought an electric Poulan
and am very impressed with it. It's not as large, not as powerful,
but it still can easily take down a 16" tree. Plus it's lighter
when using it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob presented the following explanation :
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

I have a Remington pole saw and use it to trim My palm trees. I remove
the saw from the pole and use it to cutlumber for My fences and other
small projects. I've had it for 10 years now and the say runs well
still. The pole cracked so I need a new pole.
Small projects like cutting brush does not require a gas fueled saw
IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 6:51 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Light use I would recommend a corded electric. Although I must say, I am
not familiar with them or the battery powered ones. Lot of these
battery operated tools are great but cost of battery replacement may
equal cost of the new tool.
I have a low cost gas Poulan Wildthing and it is crap. Worked well for
the first 5 hours use then oil pump failed and I had to have it fixed
under warranty. Still hard to start and trigger broken and must be tied
down to start. My son bought one which also failed on him.
May be true of most of the lower cost but big name brands too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2016 04:51 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

A corded electric Stihl:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/cha...r-saws/mse170/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article t,
Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 6:51:39 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

If you can reach it with an extension cord, I'd get an electric.
I have a gas Stihl, but it's always been a pain in the ass to start.
If you use it regularly, it's not a problem. But when you use it
only every two years, it's not good. I bought an electric Poulan
and am very impressed with it. It's not as large, not as powerful,
but it still can easily take down a 16" tree. Plus it's lighter
when using it.

I don't know if it would power a chain saw, but it might be worthwhile
looing into getting an electric saw and then one of the Harbor Freight
$ 90 generators. Use the extension cords and if too far for them, then
the generator could be fired up. Just run it our of gas when done,and
only use the ethanol free fuel in it.
Then if the poewr ever goes out in the house you have a small standby
generator that uses very little gas for the lights.

That is what I did. The old gas saw's fuel line rotted. I now have a
small electric Poulan, but power it from a Yamaha One KW inverter
generator that uses regular gas.

You may not want to spend that much for a generator, but it was worth it
to me because of its light weight and low noise. The similar Honda is
slightly heavier but is even quieter.

I did not like having to fight with the old gas chain saw, and would not
like to fight with a Harbor Freight generator either!

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 6:51 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

If you want gas, they are the most reliable brands and w hat most pros
use. If it is light cutting, consider an electric. No gas to fuss
with, no starting problems.

You may also want to consider a reciprocating saw. They can take down a
good sided branch fairly easily. Battery powered are good for
portability.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I
think, that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Any will work but Stihl, Echo & Husquvarna will last the longest. However,
what do you mean by "light brush"? Chain saws are meant for cutting wood;
generally, sizeable wood. If what you have is truly light brush you might
do better using a weed whacker that will take a brush blade. They work well
and it is worlds easier to whack off brush near the ground with one than it
is with a chain saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:04:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may also want to consider a reciprocating saw. They can take down a
good sided branch fairly easily. Battery powered are good for
portability.

I dumped my electric chain saw when I got a Sawzall as a gift.
Chain was dull anyway.
I bought some "pruning" blades for the Sawzall and they cut growing
wood just fine. I've cut about 4" thick trees with it, and cut long
branches in pieces.
But usually the loppers are good for up to 1 1/2" and I've got a
couple "pruning" saws that will cut just about anything bigger.
All Fiskars.
The Sawzall is pretty heavy and clumsy to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 3:04 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:04:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may also want to consider a reciprocating saw. They can take down a
good sided branch fairly easily. Battery powered are good for
portability.

I dumped my electric chain saw when I got a Sawzall as a gift.
Chain was dull anyway.
I bought some "pruning" blades for the Sawzall and they cut growing
wood just fine. I've cut about 4" thick trees with it, and cut long
branches in pieces.
But usually the loppers are good for up to 1 1/2" and I've got a
couple "pruning" saws that will cut just about anything bigger.
All Fiskars.
The Sawzall is pretty heavy and clumsy to use.

Glad you mentioned this. Blades that came with my reciprocating saw
were poor for pruning and I had not thought of this. I had also tried
it once for quartering a deer and it was worthless. Bone saws also have
different type blades.

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small branches
and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen tree
and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You may also want to consider a reciprocating saw. They can take down a
good sided branch fairly easily. Battery powered are good for
portability.

I dumped my electric chain saw when I got a Sawzall as a gift.
Chain was dull anyway.
I bought some "pruning" blades for the Sawzall and they cut growing
wood just fine. I've cut about 4" thick trees with it, and cut long
branches in pieces.
But usually the loppers are good for up to 1 1/2" and I've got a
couple "pruning" saws that will cut just about anything bigger.
All Fiskars.
The Sawzall is pretty heavy and clumsy to use.

Glad you mentioned this. Blades that came with my reciprocating saw
were poor for pruning and I had not thought of this.

one example ...
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42706,40721

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 4:13 PM, wrote:

You may also want to consider a reciprocating saw. They can take down a
good sided branch fairly easily. Battery powered are good for
portability.

I dumped my electric chain saw when I got a Sawzall as a gift.
Chain was dull anyway.
I bought some "pruning" blades for the Sawzall and they cut growing
wood just fine. I've cut about 4" thick trees with it, and cut long
branches in pieces.
But usually the loppers are good for up to 1 1/2" and I've got a
couple "pruning" saws that will cut just about anything bigger.
All Fiskars.
The Sawzall is pretty heavy and clumsy to use.

Glad you mentioned this. Blades that came with my reciprocating saw
were poor for pruning and I had not thought of this.

one example ...
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42706,40721

I had googled some of these up. One you show is kind of pricey but if I
find a low cost one, may buy it. I have a hand pruning saw which can
work up to maybe 6 inches. Also have a couple of pole saws.

Had a dead dogwood that I was going to attack last year and figured a
couple hours work. Decided to call my tree guy and it took him about 10
minutes with complete removal of everything for about $125. Later in
the year a dead poplar tree fell between me and my new neighbor's yard
downing several other trees and cutting and branch removal leaving
pieces split-able to fire wood only cost $550 which neighbor and I
split, and I left him all the firewood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 15:53:22 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

What things, gravity, power tools or old farts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would go with an electric unless the power cord would be impossible. Electric requires no thinking about gas/oil mixtures/storage, etc. Check Consumers Reports for details.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 07:13:47 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 6:51:39 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Want to purchase a "small" chain saw for cutting some light brush
around the house.

Probably 20+ years since I've looked at these gadgets.

As I'm a bit on the "elderly" side now, my main requirement is, I think,
that it start Very easily and reliably. Also, easy to adjust.

Apparently, Stihl and Husqueva are the big names now.
Also Poulan, still, and several others.

What brand do you think would be best for me ?
Why ?

Much thanks,
Bob

If you can reach it with an extension cord, I'd get an electric.

Absolutely. I use a 100' extension cord and the electric chainsaw
always starts.

In the fall, I take out the spare electrons so they don't gum up the
armature, and I buy new ones in the spring. I've heard that
Electro-Bil will make this unnecessary, but I've also heard it only
works to a degree.

I have a gas Stihl, but it's always been a pain in the ass to start.
If you use it regularly, it's not a problem. But when you use it
only every two years, it's not good. I bought an electric Poulan
and am very impressed with it. It's not as large, not as powerful,
but it still can easily take down a 16" tree. Plus it's lighter
when using it.

You can cut from both sides when you have to. So even an 8" electrric
can cut a ??15"?? tree. Something like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

None of the above ... stupidity . I do a lot of what a lot of people would
consider "high risk" activities . Cutting down 50' oak trees , roofing a
6/12 pitch roof alone , disagreeing with my wife (she can shoot ...) and I
can say that it's all in the prep . Take care in the setup and check
everything twice and you can do it safely .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 3:53 PM, Frank wrote:

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small branches
and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen tree
and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.

While I enjoy a lot of DIY, as I get older for some projects I find it
is easier and safer to write a check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On 6/17/2016 3:53 PM, Frank wrote:

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small branches
and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen tree
and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.

While I enjoy a lot of DIY, as I get older for some projects I find it
is easier and safer to write a check.

Right. "A man's got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry Callahan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snuffy "Hub Cap\" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
On 6/17/2016 3:53 PM, Frank wrote:

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small branches
and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen tree
and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.

While I enjoy a lot of DIY, as I get older for some projects I find it
is easier and safer to write a check.

Right. "A man's got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry Callahan

If you're in a situation where you ask yourself, do I need a stepladder, or can I get by without it? Do yourself a favor and get the stepladder.

One year after Christmas I was taking down decorations and asked myself that very question. I told myself, you don't need no stinking stepladder. I climbed on the couch, and while balancing on the arm and back, suddenly found myself falling backwards on top of the coffee table. As I was falling the thought crossed my mind, is this how I'm going to die? It wasn't very bad, I limped around for a few days and got over it. Now I get the stepladder out for even minor projects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:42:07 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 15:53:22 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Glad you mentioned this. Blades that came with my reciprocating saw
were poor for pruning and I had not thought of this. I had also
tried it once for quartering a deer and it was worthless. Bone saws
also have different type blades.

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small
branches and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen
tree and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.

What things, gravity, power tools or old farts?

None of the above ... stupidity . I do a lot of what a lot of people would
consider "high risk" activities . Cutting down 50' oak trees , roofing a

Do you go up near the top and cut pieces off a few feet at a time, or
do you cut the whole thing down at once?

6/12 pitch roof alone , disagreeing with my wife (she can shoot ...) and I
can say that it's all in the prep . Take care in the setup and check
everything twice and you can do it safely .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:36:41 -0500, "dangerous dan"
wrote:

Snuffy "Hub Cap\" wrote:
[...]

How about standing on a desk chair to change a light bulb on the
ceiling. A reclining, rotating desk chair on wheels. I keep doing
it, but maybe I'll stop.

Or standing on the bed to change another light bulb. That's easier
but not that easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote: ........

[...]

It depends on the tree and what it's next to but usually I do the whole
tree . I'm neither as agile or brave as I once was ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 4:55 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

When there is power and gravity involved anyone can get hurt. Getting
old just compounds the problem. OTOH with age comes wisdom and you
should become more careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2016 10:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/17/2016 3:53 PM, Frank wrote:

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small branches
and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen tree
and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.

While I enjoy a lot of DIY, as I get older for some projects I find it
is easier and safer to write a check.

That basically describes me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

First, much thanks for all the really good advice.

Frankly, never thought of an "electric," but will undoubtedly be the way
to go.

Question. If I get the Battery operated kind, and the battery runs down
during usage, can I run an extension cord to it, then, and use it
as the battery is being charged (in the saw) ?

Or, must the battery and its charger, be used external to the saw, and
the saw is useless until the battery is recharged ?

Thanks,
bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2016 09:36 PM, dangerous dan wrote:
One year after Christmas I was taking down decorations and asked myself that very question. I told myself, you don't need no stinking stepladder. I climbed on the couch, and while balancing on the arm and back, suddenly found myself falling backwards
on top of the coffee table. As I was falling the thought crossed my mind, is this how I'm going to die? It wasn't very bad, I limped around for a few days and got over it. Now I get the stepladder out for even minor projects.

Sue the sofa manufacturer. They should have put warning labels on the arm rests.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2016 1:02 AM, Micky wrote:

None of the above ... stupidity . I do a lot of what a lot of people would
consider "high risk" activities . Cutting down 50' oak trees , roofing a

Do you go up near the top and cut pieces off a few feet at a time, or
do you cut the whole thing down at once?

That usually depends on the location of the tree. In the middle of the
forest, just cut and drop. The tree in front of my hose could either go
into the house or the wires on the street. That came down in sections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2016 8:08 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

First, much thanks for all the really good advice.

Frankly, never thought of an "electric," but will undoubtedly be the way
to go.

Question. If I get the Battery operated kind, and the battery runs down
during usage, can I run an extension cord to it, then, and use it
as the battery is being charged (in the saw) ?

Or, must the battery and its charger, be used external to the saw, and
the saw is useless until the battery is recharged ?

Thanks,
bob

Usually the battery slides out and goes into a charger. Stihl says 50
minutes of cutting on a charge. You can buy spare batteries too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob
wrote:

Hi,

First, much thanks for all the really good advice.

Frankly, never thought of an "electric," but will undoubtedly be the way
to go.

Question. If I get the Battery operated kind, and the battery runs down
during usage, can I run an extension cord to it, then, and use it
as the battery is being charged (in the saw) ?

Or, must the battery and its charger, be used external to the saw, and
the saw is useless until the battery is recharged ?

Bob-

I purchased a DeWalt kit that included a reciprocating saw. It uses the
newer 20 Volt "Max" batteries that do not self-discharge, and came with
two. The charger it came with is the rapid charging model. One battery
can be on charge while using the other.

I use the reciprocating saw with a pruning blade for small stuff. The
chain saw can cut larger branches and is faster, but bar oil is messy.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2016 8:08 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

First, much thanks for all the really good advice.

Frankly, never thought of an "electric," but will undoubtedly be the way
to go.

Question. If I get the Battery operated kind, and the battery runs down
during usage, can I run an extension cord to it, then, and use it
as the battery is being charged (in the saw) ?

Or, must the battery and its charger, be used external to the saw, and
the saw is useless until the battery is recharged ?

Thanks,
bob

If I have a battery operated tool, I always make sure it comes with 2
batteries. Don't be surprised if extra battery costs $50. Think I
mentioned that I had a string trimmer and hedge clipper set that came
with 2 batteries and charger but when both batteries failed it would
have cost $100 to replace them which is all I paid for the whole set.
I hated to throw out two good tools because of this.

Can't recall any tool you could use and recharge during use except maybe
laptop computer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 09:59:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/18/2016 1:02 AM, Micky wrote:

None of the above ... stupidity . I do a lot of what a lot of people would
consider "high risk" activities . Cutting down 50' oak trees , roofing a

Do you go up near the top and cut pieces off a few feet at a time, or
do you cut the whole thing down at once?

That usually depends on the location of the tree. In the middle of the
forest, just cut and drop. The tree in front of my hose could either go
into the house or the wires on the street. That came down in sections.

So both of you say the same thing. How do you each climb a tall tree
to cut it down in sections? I have a 40 foot pine in my front yard
that seems to have died, and it could hit my house or my n'bor's if it
fell wrong. If not that might hit his fence (and will very likely hit
my fence, but that's not a problem becuase I replace parts of that all
the time.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 08:08:21 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

First, much thanks for all the really good advice.

Frankly, never thought of an "electric," but will undoubtedly be the way
to go.

Question. If I get the Battery operated kind, and the battery runs down
during usage, can I run an extension cord to it, then, and use it
as the battery is being charged (in the saw) ?

Or, must the battery and its charger, be used external to the saw, and
the saw is useless until the battery is recharged ?

Thanks,
bob

I dunno, but I thought you could never get the kind of power out a
battery tool that you get from 110vac. I have a small yard, I admit
it, but use an electric lawnmower now and weedwacker and hedgetrimmer
and chainsaw, and I leave the 100' extension cord lying in the grass
when I'm not using it, in the rain and in the snow. I try to move it
every 4 or 5 days or it might leave a line in the grass, and sometimes
the grass grows enough that I can barely find the cord. I've tripped
the breaker at most once in 15 years, but that could have been for
another reason. For several years I even had 10 feet of a flimsy
extension cord between the wall and the good extension cord and the
Black and Decker lawn mower didn't seem to go any slower, though it
did wear out in about 5 years (It was owned before), don't remember
how.