Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Chain Saw: Which To Purchase ?

On 6/17/2016 4:55 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 15:53:22 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 6/17/2016 3:04 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:04:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may also want to consider a reciprocating saw. They can take down a
good sided branch fairly easily. Battery powered are good for
portability.

I dumped my electric chain saw when I got a Sawzall as a gift.
Chain was dull anyway.
I bought some "pruning" blades for the Sawzall and they cut growing
wood just fine. I've cut about 4" thick trees with it, and cut long
branches in pieces.
But usually the loppers are good for up to 1 1/2" and I've got a
couple "pruning" saws that will cut just about anything bigger.
All Fiskars.
The Sawzall is pretty heavy and clumsy to use.

Glad you mentioned this. Blades that came with my reciprocating saw
were poor for pruning and I had not thought of this. I had also tried
it once for quartering a deer and it was worthless. Bone saws also have
different type blades.

I worked with a guy that used a circular saw for pruning small branches
and it came down on his thigh. He nearly bled to death.

Also had a 75 year old neighbor that was downing a partially fallen tree
and it fell on him, killing him.

Another 81 year old neighbor fell off his roof and lost teeth.

Us elderly should be cautious about these things.

What things, gravity, power tools or old farts?

When there is power and gravity involved anyone can get hurt. Getting
old just compounds the problem. OTOH with age comes wisdom and you
should become more careful.