Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Driving chain for hand chain hoist

I have a 2 ton Coffing manual chain hoist that I am using for various
corporate purposes. I mount it on a 10 foot A frame, but the hoist was
originally intended for a 20 foot lift. I was able to bundle up the
lifting chain, so that it does not get in the way.

However, the driving chain (which you pull by hand) is too long and,
because it loops all the way through, I cannot just hang the excess of
it. So, it is a mess on the floor.

It looks like pretty garden variety hoist driving chain to me, and I
would probably be able to just buy 6 feet of it somewhere and weld it
myself.

What I do not know is what it is called, and on what page of say
mcMaster carr catalog can I buy its equivalent. It has to be a pretty
exact match.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/14/2012 11:47 AM, Ignoramus5125 wrote:
I have a 2 ton Coffing manual chain hoist that I am using for various
corporate purposes. I mount it on a 10 foot A frame, but the hoist was
originally intended for a 20 foot lift. I was able to bundle up the
lifting chain, so that it does not get in the way.

However, the driving chain (which you pull by hand) is too long and,
because it loops all the way through, I cannot just hang the excess of
it. So, it is a mess on the floor.

What I do not know is what it is called, and on what page of say
mcMaster carr catalog can I buy its equivalent. It has to be a pretty
exact match.

Why don't you just shorten what you have?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:47:52 -0600, Ignoramus5125
wrote:

I have a 2 ton Coffing manual chain hoist that I am using for various
corporate purposes. I mount it on a 10 foot A frame, but the hoist was
originally intended for a 20 foot lift. I was able to bundle up the
lifting chain, so that it does not get in the way.

However, the driving chain (which you pull by hand) is too long and,
because it loops all the way through, I cannot just hang the excess of
it. So, it is a mess on the floor.

It looks like pretty garden variety hoist driving chain to me, and I
would probably be able to just buy 6 feet of it somewhere and weld it
myself.

What I do not know is what it is called, and on what page of say
mcMaster carr catalog can I buy its equivalent. It has to be a pretty
exact match.

I've never run into one that was actually welded endless. If you look
carefully I bet you find a link that's simply bent shut. Cut the chain
and save the piece if you think you may want the longer hand chain in
the future.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5125" wrote in message
I have a 2 ton Coffing manual chain hoist that I am using for various
corporate purposes. I mount it on a 10 foot A frame, but the hoist was
originally intended for a 20 foot lift. I was able to bundle up the
lifting chain, so that it does not get in the way.

I store my chain hoist in a bucket which also serves to keep the lifting
chain out of the dirt. It's actually two buckets, a plastic one to dampen
chain noise inside a stronger galvanized one. A rubber farm bucket would be
as good.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-14, dpb wrote:
On 1/14/2012 11:47 AM, Ignoramus5125 wrote:
I have a 2 ton Coffing manual chain hoist that I am using for various
corporate purposes. I mount it on a 10 foot A frame, but the hoist was
originally intended for a 20 foot lift. I was able to bundle up the
lifting chain, so that it does not get in the way.

However, the driving chain (which you pull by hand) is too long and,
because it loops all the way through, I cannot just hang the excess of
it. So, it is a mess on the floor.

What I do not know is what it is called, and on what page of say
mcMaster carr catalog can I buy its equivalent. It has to be a pretty
exact match.

Why don't you just shorten what you have?

--

I could, I guess I wanted to keep it in case if I sell this hoist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2012-01-14, wrote:

Why don't you just shorten what you have?

I could, I guess I wanted to keep it in case if I sell this hoist.

Well, if it comes time, you can always lengthen it again. At most it'll
be a couple links shorter than it was.