Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ARO chain hoist

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1414 wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You are not doing too bad. I'd hate to tell you how much a quad coil of air hose that
goes to an IR ballancer costs. The hose isn't pictured in the link below.

http://www.ingersollrand.pl/download...-Balancers.pdf

The hoist mechanism is operated by a piston that pushes on a reel drum that spins on a
ball screw.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus1414 wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You are not doing too bad. I'd hate to tell you how much a quad coil of air hose that
goes to an IR ballancer costs. The hose isn't pictured in the link below.

http://www.ingersollrand.pl/download...-Balancers.pdf

The hoist mechanism is operated by a piston that pushes on a reel drum that spins on a
ball screw.

Well, that would be all great, assuming I fix it.

I think that I found the problem, just now. One of the directional
valves had a rubber O-ring on it and that o-ring was loose and
disconnected from the valve where it should have been. I reassembled
the hoist, but did something wrong and it does not work right now. I
am sure that I did not position the special crosswise shaft where I
should have. Ingersoll emailed me the manual for my model and serial
number, I will print it and will find out the reassembly instruction.

The good thing about this hoist is that it is much lighter than an
electric hoist. (electric hoist weighs about 150 lbs, this one, maybe
70).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:20:38 -0500, Ignoramus1414
wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You have a mill and a welder. Make a new control arm. Save yourself $78
plus shipping and enjoy doing it.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You have a mill and a welder. Make a new control arm. Save yourself $78
plus shipping and enjoy doing it.

I would need the drawing, I cannot make an approximately right control
arm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:16:46 -0500, Ignoramus1414

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus1414 wrote:

[...]

How much does the compressor weigh?

I have these electric hoists for sale currently

1ton TCM, 3ph, minty++
1ton Dayton (TCM) 110v Very Good
1/2ton TCM 110vt Minty+++

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus1414 wrote:

[...]

700 lbs?

I have these electric hoists for sale currently

1ton TCM, 3ph, minty++
1ton Dayton (TCM) 110v Very Good
1/2ton TCM 110vt Minty+++

How much do you want for the 1 ton dayton 110v?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You have a mill and a welder. Make a new control arm. Save yourself $78
plus shipping and enjoy doing it.

I would need the drawing, I cannot make an approximately right control
arm.

You have the busted parts...right?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus1414 wrote:

[...]

So your hoist package weighs 770 lbs?

I have these electric hoists for sale currently

1ton TCM, 3ph, minty++
1ton Dayton (TCM) 110v Very Good
1/2ton TCM 110vt Minty+++

How much do you want for the 1 ton dayton 110v?

Id lke to get $450 for it. Got a better offer?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You have a mill and a welder. Make a new control arm. Save yourself $78
plus shipping and enjoy doing it.

I would need the drawing, I cannot make an approximately right control
arm.

You have the busted parts...right?

The arm looks like this (if I look at it sideways)

,.-~~~~-.,

And all I have in my possession is ~~~

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus1414 wrote:

[...]

Well, if I include the electric utility generator and wires, more like
1,000,000 lbs.

I have these electric hoists for sale currently

1ton TCM, 3ph, minty++
1ton Dayton (TCM) 110v Very Good
1/2ton TCM 110vt Minty+++

How much do you want for the 1 ton dayton 110v?

Id lke to get $450 for it. Got a better offer?

If I fix this ARO hoist, I will sell my Dayton 110v 4000 lbs hoist
(same as yours). I think that your price is realistic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 06:53:47 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus11847
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You have a mill and a welder. Make a new control arm. Save yourself $78
plus shipping and enjoy doing it.

I would need the drawing, I cannot make an approximately right control
arm.

You have the busted parts...right?

The arm looks like this (if I look at it sideways)

,.-~~~~-.,

And all I have in my possession is ~~~

Ah, but you're smarter than the broken parts, Ig. You can dismantle it
and see which way the ~~~ moves to actuate the mechanism and design a
new arm in minutes, right? Does it rotate on a vertical or horizontal
plane? Design arms to fit with proper ends for the actuator you plan
to use. No worries, mate!

--
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I called Ingersoll-Rand. The hoist was made in 1974. Since it was made
after I was born, I consider is almost new. The tech guy told me the
same thing as I was told here, most likely it is a bad, rotted seal
and I need to find out which one, and they will sell me a
replacement.

They have a replacement control arm for not too much (relatively
speaking -- the hoist cost me $35 and the replacement control arm is
$78), and the seals.

You have a mill and a welder. Make a new control arm. Save yourself $78
plus shipping and enjoy doing it.

I would need the drawing, I cannot make an approximately right control
arm.

You have the busted parts...right?

The arm looks like this (if I look at it sideways)

,.-~~~~-.,

And all I have in my possession is ~~~

So you cant figure it out? Think of it as a math problem.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It has to have precisely the right shape, or else the overtravel
protection will not work. And I do not know what is the shape
exactly. Spending $78 on a replacement is a no brainer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you have $78 to spend..go for it.

Those of us who dont..tend to think about it a bit..and make it.

Gunner, whose total liquid assests at the moment..is $80

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-13, Gunner Asch wrote:
It has to have precisely the right shape, or else the overtravel
protection will not work. And I do not know what is the shape
exactly. Spending $78 on a replacement is a no brainer.

If you have $78 to spend..go for it.

Those of us who dont..tend to think about it a bit..and make it.

Gunner, whose total liquid assests at the moment..is $80

Well, if one spends his time productively (like repairing a hoist in 2
hours instead of 10 hours and possibly breaking it due to overtravel
of the hook), it could possibly result in greater monetary rewards
than making a part without a blueprint or the original part.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:36:17 -0500, Ignoramus11847

On 2010-04-13, Gunner Asch wrote:
It has to have precisely the right shape, or else the overtravel
protection will not work. And I do not know what is the shape
exactly. Spending $78 on a replacement is a no brainer.

If you have $78 to spend..go for it.

Those of us who dont..tend to think about it a bit..and make it.

Gunner, whose total liquid assests at the moment..is $80

Well, if one spends his time productively (like repairing a hoist in 2
hours instead of 10 hours and possibly breaking it due to overtravel
of the hook), it could possibly result in greater monetary rewards
than making a part without a blueprint or the original part.

True indeed. And if one doesnt stick his hand in the horizontal miller,
he wont lose any fingers either.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-13, Gunner Asch wrote:
True indeed. And if one doesnt stick his hand in the horizontal miller,
he wont lose any fingers either.

and if one does not stick a hand into a running wirebrush, he won;t
lose as much skin