Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ARO pneumatic chain hoist goes "up", but not "down"

What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27467 wrote:
What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

Sounds like the air director valve has dirt/crud in it. Could also be
the rotor vanes are getting worn.

All it basically is internally is a reversible air motor just like an
impact wrench.

Might just need a good lube job...

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:21:57 -0500, Ignoramus27467
wrote:

What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

You have a couple bad O rings or other sorts of seals. Its not a big
deal to fix em. Might cost you $20 in seals. They are pretty simple.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-10, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus27467 wrote:
What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

Sounds like the air director valve has dirt/crud in it.

Do you mean the valves on the pendant?

Could also be the rotor vanes are getting worn.

All it basically is internally is a reversible air motor just like an
impact wrench.

Might just need a good lube job...

I will have a look at it some time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-10, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus27467 wrote:
What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

Sounds like the air director valve has dirt/crud in it.

Do you mean the valves on the pendant?

Yep. That or a line from it has crud in it.

Could also be the rotor vanes are getting worn.

All it basically is internally is a reversible air motor just like an
impact wrench.

Might just need a good lube job...

I will have a look at it some time.

Steve W.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-10, Gunner Asch wrote:

You have a couple bad O rings or other sorts of seals. Its not a big
deal to fix em. Might cost you $20 in seals. They are pretty simple.

I have made some progress today.

This hoist has a little yoke, which is touched by the hook when it
rises all the way up, and by the end of chain when the hook is lowered
all the way down. If the yoke moves, it releases air, so that the
movement that touched the yoke, stops, but the opposite movement can
go. This is basically your end of travel stop function.

Anyway, what I have learned is that while the hoist works poorly in
the "down" direction, in any case, it is related somewhat to the
yoke. If I push the yoke more down than it stays by itself, somehow,
the motor works a little better in the down direction, but still not
very good.

This yoke is also broken, looks like it is cast iron and it is missing
some pieces. I hope that replacement is not e

I will call I-R tomorrow and will try to get a manual for my hoist and
maybe some advice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-10, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus27467 wrote:
What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

Sounds like the air director valve has dirt/crud in it.

Do you mean the valves on the pendant?

Yep. That or a line from it has crud in it.

Not up to the hoist, no. I switched the lines (so that "up" would mean
"down", and vice versa) with no effect. I also switched air filter
units.