Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default ARO pneumatic chain hoist goes "up", but not "down"

Ignoramus27467 wrote:
What I thought may be a great garage sale deal, looks like maybe it is
not.

I have a 2 ton (4000 lbs) ARO pneumatic chain hoist with 40 ft
chain. When air is applied in the "up" direction, something whirls and
howls inside and the hoist happily goes up.

When I push the "down" valve on the control, the hoist kind of
hiccups, hisses, makes quiet pumping noises inside "pt-pt-pt", and it
either stops after a few pumping sounds or continues, but extremely
slowly, with a lot of air coming out.

Not knowing much about air hoists, I thought to ask to see if anyone
ever repaired one.

Sounds like the air director valve has dirt/crud in it. Could also be
the rotor vanes are getting worn.

All it basically is internally is a reversible air motor just like an
impact wrench.

Might just need a good lube job...

--
Steve W.