Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it safe to replace a 2500 W oven bake element with a 3000 W element?"

Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!)..

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Unless you somehow know that stove was rated for a 3000W element, which
seems very unlikely, the answer is no. The wiring and other components
in the stove were rated for 2500W and 3000 can exceed the safe rating for
those. Possible issues with wiring to the panel and breaker too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

I'm confused. Has the element already been replaced? Did you replace it, then
see the info on the back of the stove and then *not* turn the stove on?

I'm also confused about how the prong length enters into this if the element
has already been replaced. Did the new element appear to fit correctly? Do
the prongs on the new element match the prongs on the old?

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 3:12:21 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Can't she just cut 20% off of the 3000W element? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2016 3:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 3:12:21 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Unless you somehow know that stove was rated for a 3000W element, which
seems very unlikely, the answer is no. The wiring and other components
in the stove were rated for 2500W and 3000 can exceed the safe rating for
those. Possible issues with wiring to the panel and breaker too.

Can't she just cut 20% off of the 3000W element? ;-)

No, that would change the resonant frequency and set
up harmonics that would keep the neighborhood awake.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong.

If you're going to take the element out anyhow, it shouldn't be hard
to take it out before buying the replacement, and measure and take a
picture of the prongs. OTOH, if you buy long prong, you can cut them
shorter maybe and then grind or sand off any burrs left by cutting.

Not that I've ever done any of this.

It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

You call this help? I would guess that it's fine, at 240 volts it
will still be under 15 amps. Right?

Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Derby points out that you seem to have already replaced it. This
points out another reason I don't like it when there is info in the
subject lline that is not in the body of post. It exists outside of
context (Is that logically possible?) and so it's importance and
relevance to the whole post is unknown. Where would it have fit if
ou had put that sentence IN the post, not outside it?

Also, the wattage might be in the back but isn't the model number in
the front, behind a door perhaps? From that you should be able to get
the wattage of the stove and of each element.

I found on the web that in " Bertazzoni ovens, apparently the baking
elements they contain are high in wattage. 2100 watt for the top
heating element and 3400 watt for the bottom heating element in each
oven cavity." So that causes me to ask what is the rating of the
other element. I'd be super surprised if you couldn't make the
smaller one as big as the bigger one and not overload anything (in
addtion to what I said before.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 2:12:21 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Most thermostats in electric stoves will handle at least 15 amps resistive load. I think there is usually a little excess capacity built in to the controls and wiring from what I've seen during the years I spent repairing appliances for myself, friends and resturants. If the OP could find information on the oven thermostat, she may find that it will easily handle the 3kw element. The last thermostat I replace in an electric oven was rated 17 amps 250 volts. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Oven Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

A good place to buy flour, although online the cheapest order is $40CN
The mill has been in continuous operation for 197 years and half of it
still runs from water power. Much of the equipment is over 100 years
old.
http://www.arvaflourmill.com/?show=history
http://www.arvaflourmill.com/store/p...FLOUR-Special-