Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it safe to replace a 2500 W oven bake element with a 3000 W element?"

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 2:12:21 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Unless you somehow know that stove was rated for a 3000W element, which
seems very unlikely, the answer is no. The wiring and other components
in the stove were rated for 2500W and 3000 can exceed the safe rating for
those. Possible issues with wiring to the panel and breaker too.

Most thermostats in electric stoves will handle at least 15 amps resistive load. I think there is usually a little excess capacity built in to the controls and wiring from what I've seen during the years I spent repairing appliances for myself, friends and resturants. If the OP could find information on the oven thermostat, she may find that it will easily handle the 3kw element. The last thermostat I replace in an electric oven was rated 17 amps 250 volts. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Oven Monster