Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Is it safe to replace a 2500 W oven bake element with a 3000 W element?"

On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Derby points out that you seem to have already replaced it. This
points out another reason I don't like it when there is info in the
subject lline that is not in the body of post. It exists outside of
context (Is that logically possible?) and so it's importance and
relevance to the whole post is unknown. Where would it have fit if
ou had put that sentence IN the post, not outside it?

Also, the wattage might be in the back but isn't the model number in
the front, behind a door perhaps? From that you should be able to get
the wattage of the stove and of each element.

I found on the web that in " Bertazzoni ovens, apparently the baking
elements they contain are high in wattage. 2100 watt for the top
heating element and 3400 watt for the bottom heating element in each
oven cavity." So that causes me to ask what is the rating of the
other element. I'd be super surprised if you couldn't make the
smaller one as big as the bigger one and not overload anything (in
addtion to what I said before.)