Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is it safe to replace a 2500 W oven bake element with a 3000 W element?"

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
Hi all

my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!).

When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only learned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back of the stove.

I'm confused. Has the element already been replaced? Did you replace it, then
see the info on the back of the stove and then *not* turn the stove on?

I'm also confused about how the prong length enters into this if the element
has already been replaced. Did the new element appear to fit correctly? Do
the prongs on the new element match the prongs on the old?

Any help would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.