Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Rake Handle

I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2016 5:08 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

My first thought is to wrap the handle in some
kind of tape. Electrical tape, possibly friction
tape. Or first aid tape. Enough for a snug fit.
Drill a few holes in the digger. Pilot hole, and
then screw through the digger, into the handle.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the
handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the
hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool
tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in
the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole,
then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is
to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the
handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it
in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

JB weld , and notch the tang to give it a tooth . You might want to wedge a
sliver or two to hold it centered up in the hole .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 May 2016 14:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Take the rake handle back for a refund and buy a new cultivator. You will be happy you did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 4:08:39 PM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:
I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Have you ever used "Dap 21412 Plastic Wood"? When it sets up, it can be cut and drilled like natural wood and is quite strong. It's always worked well for me at filling in wallowed out holes in wooden doors and jambs. ^_^

http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/p...l-wood-filler/

http://www.lowes.com/pd_421826-68-21...2+plastic+wood

http://www.amazon.com/21412-Plastic-.../dp/B007ZJ47M6

[8~{} Uncle Wooden Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 5:08:39 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Whatever filler you choose, I would definitely add a screw as Stormy suggested. You run the
risk of the filler cracking under the "sideways pressure". The screw (or two) would help
prevent movement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2016 03:08 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 6:29:13 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 14:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Take the rake handle back for a refund and buy a new cultivator. You will be happy you did.

I've been looking for a new cultivator but they don't have them at any of the local stores. I know this is probably more trouble than it's worth, but it's more of a fun project, just to see if I can fix it.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 6:05:21 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the
handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the
hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool
tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in
the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole,
then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is
to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the
handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it
in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

JB weld , and notch the tang to give it a tooth . You might want to wedge a
sliver or two to hold it centered up in the hole .

--
Snag

I looked up JB weld and it comes in several varieties. Do you have a favorite or would they all work pretty much the same?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 5:31:36 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Good idea about the screw for extra holding power.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2016 9:49 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 5:31:36 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My first thought is to wrap the handle in some
kind of tape. Electrical tape, possibly friction
tape. Or first aid tape. Enough for a snug fit.
Drill a few holes in the digger. Pilot hole, and
then screw through the digger, into the handle.

Good idea about the screw for extra holding power.

Paul

At church, we had a handle fall off a snow shovel. The
handle went into the taper part of the shovel. A metal
staple of some kind had rusted, and gotten weak. I put
in a sheet metal screw, and that helped a lot.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2016 9:47 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

I've been looking for a new cultivator but
they don't have them at any of the local
stores. I know this is probably more trouble
than it's worth, but it's more of a fun
project, just to see if I can fix it.

Paul

With the way the USA is going, may times the old
equipment is far better quality than what is sold
in stores in 2016. As such, your device may well
be worth the effor to repair the old one.

I do much the same with my old model lawn mower.
For the cost of replacement parts, I could have
bought a new mower a long time ago.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

The original stuff , IIRC the tubes are red and black (it's the 8265S) . The
quikset variety would work too , but I think the ultimate strength is a bit
less .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had one of those three-clawed garden diggers for years but the handle snapped recently. I bought a replacement rake handle but the hole in the new handle is 7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two options to fix the tool in the handle. I could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the handle hole, then insert the tool and let it set up overnight. The other option is to put some wood slivers into the hole and pound the tool into the handle, counting on the tension of the compressed slivers to hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Get a pocket knife like my grandfather gave me. You can whittle wood
and whistle while you work. Trim the handle down for what you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had one of those three-clawed garden

diggers for years but the handle snapped
recently. I bought a replacement rake
handle but the hole in the new handle is
7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool
tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two
options to fix the tool in the handle. I
could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the
handle hole, then insert the tool and let
it set up overnight. The other option is
to put some wood slivers into the hole and
pound the tool into the handle, counting on
the tension of the compressed slivers to
hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Get a pocket knife like my grandfather gave me. You can whittle wood
and whistle while you work. Trim the handle down for what you need.

How much do you have to whittle off a 5/16
handle to get it to snug fit in a 7/16 hole?

Might take a while?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 18:19:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Get a pocket knife like my grandfather gave me. You can whittle wood
and whistle while you work. Trim the handle down for what you need.

How much do you have to whittle off a 5/16
handle to get it to snug fit in a 7/16 hole?

Might take a while?

You put it much more politely than I might have. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had one of those three-clawed garden

diggers for years but the handle snapped
recently. I bought a replacement rake
handle but the hole in the new handle is
7/16" while the diameter of the claw tool
tang is only 5/16". I'm considering two
options to fix the tool in the handle. I
could mix up some epoxy, pour it into the
handle hole, then insert the tool and let
it set up overnight. The other option is
to put some wood slivers into the hole and
pound the tool into the handle, counting on
the tension of the compressed slivers to
hold it in place.

Any other thoughts on the best way to do this?

Paul

Get a pocket knife like my grandfather gave me. You can whittle wood
and whistle while you work. Trim the handle down for what you need.

How much do you have to whittle off a 5/16
handle to get it to snug fit in a 7/16 hole?

Just a little more than negative 1/8".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2016 6:40 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 18:19:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Get a pocket knife like my grandfather gave me. You can whittle wood
and whistle while you work. Trim the handle down for what you need.

How much do you have to whittle off a 5/16
handle to get it to snug fit in a 7/16 hole?

Might take a while?

You put it much more politely than I might have. ;-)

A anxiously await Oren's cultured and genteel
reply to my question. He's such a gentleman
in all respects. I regard him highly.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2016 5:57 PM, Oren wrote:
Get a pocket knife like my grandfather gave me. You can whittle wood
and whistle while you work. Trim the handle down for what you need.

How much do you have to whittle off a 5/16
handle to get it to snug fit in a 7/16 hole?

Just a little more than negative 1/8".

He'll need a thunder rod, and a
flashdark, to see what he's doing
with his addwhittle pocket knife.