Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement loo handle?

The flimsy chromium-plated plastic bush that is screwed into the side of
the loo cistern holding the loo handle in place has cracked beyond
repair (what a shoddy piece of "engineering" it is too). I have no idea
of the make of the loo -- the manufacturers were not proud enough to put
their name on it. It's about 10 years old.

Is it normally possible in such situations to get a replacement handle
assembly from one of the sheds, or from anywhere else, or do I need a
complete new bathroom suite?

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian writes:
The flimsy chromium-plated plastic bush that is screwed into the side of
the loo cistern holding the loo handle in place has cracked beyond
repair (what a shoddy piece of "engineering" it is too). I have no idea
of the make of the loo -- the manufacturers were not proud enough to put
their name on it. It's about 10 years old.

Is it normally possible in such situations to get a replacement handle
assembly from one of the sheds, or from anywhere else, or do I need a
complete new bathroom suite?

Sheds (at least, B&Q) have them.
I had to replace one on my parents' loo
when I snapped it off whilst visiting them.

(Caused much amusement as my father when visiting
his parents ~50 years ago managed to break the stone
cistern lid when flushing the loo.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian writes:
The flimsy chromium-plated plastic bush that is screwed into the side of
the loo cistern holding the loo handle in place has cracked beyond
repair (what a shoddy piece of "engineering" it is too). I have no idea
of the make of the loo -- the manufacturers were not proud enough to put
their name on it. It's about 10 years old.

Is it normally possible in such situations to get a replacement handle
assembly from one of the sheds, or from anywhere else, or do I need a
complete new bathroom suite?

Sheds (at least, B&Q) have them.
I had to replace one on my parents' loo
when I snapped it off whilst visiting them.

(Caused much amusement as my father when visiting
his parents ~50 years ago managed to break the stone
cistern lid when flushing the loo.)

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I replaced it with
an all metal one from wickes, they do the cheapo plastic ones too, but
now of course the new handle sticks out too far and won't allow the lid
to stay up safely! Brilliant!

Dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian writes:
[...]

Yes - they are available - but take care - a friend bought one and the
diameter was a very tight fit for the hole in the cistern. Instead of taking
it back he forced it in and after a few days the cistern cracked. all
because he wanted a particular style!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian writes:
[...]

Example:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17031/...n-Lever-Chrome

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: John
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 Time: 16:28:37

Example:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17031/...gs/Toilet-Cist
ern-Lever-Chrome

Thanks everyone. I'm off to B&Q etc tomorrow.

--
Ian