Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water shut-off valve handle replacement?

I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where
to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem
to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has
threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there
does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve.
Thanks for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where
to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem
to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has
threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there
does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve.
Thanks for your advice.

Here in Tucson there is a store that can help you:

Bonnets Stems & Accessories Inc
2606 N 1st Ave
Tucson, AZ 85719 - 2911

(520) 882-8349

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you tried Ace hardware? One near me stocks both types. Don't
waste you time at Home Depot or Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :
I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where
to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem
to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has
threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there
does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve.
Thanks for your advice.

Ordinary hardware or plumbing stores can almost always help you
out, especially if you bring in the old handle.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

I should have clarified that I brought my old broken handle into Home
Depot, Lowes and a specialty plumbing shop here in the Seattle area.
The plumbing "experts" at Home Depot and Lowes looked at the handle I
brought in and said "nope, we don't carry that" while the specialty
plumbing shop said that "standard" threaded handles are easy to find
while the larger diameter threaded valve handles (which is I guess what
I have) are tough to find. It's doubly tough to find when I don't even
know the proper name of what I am looking for. Does anyone know what
the correct name is for this "threaded" water valve handle so I can
call other plumbing shops or look online?

wrote:
I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where
to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem
to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has
threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there
does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve.
Thanks for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

wrote:
I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where
to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem
to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has
threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there
does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve.
Thanks for your advice.

Threaded handle can't be right else it would unscrew when you closed (or
opened) the valve.

It dosen't sound like you have a ball valve or the handle would be more of a
lever shape. I am guessing you have either a gate or multi turn valve. If
it has several levels of nuts on it, it probably is s multi turn valve. If
it is, you can remove the whole core and bring it to the store for a
replacement with modern parts.

A picture would help us a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a picture of my broken gate valve handle --
http://www.get2it.com/images/valvehandle.jpg

It has 16 splines
The diameter of the handle is 3 inches
The diameter of the spline hole is 1/2 inch

The closest thing I could find at Ace Hardware is a 16 spline handle
but the spline hole is only about 3/8 inch.

Thank you for any suggestions.

PipeDown wrote:
ups.com...

wrote:
I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where
to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem
to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has
threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there
does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve.
Thanks for your advice.

Threaded handle can't be right else it would unscrew when you closed (or
opened) the valve.

It dosen't sound like you have a ball valve or the handle would be more of a
lever shape. I am guessing you have either a gate or multi turn valve. If
it has several levels of nuts on it, it probably is s multi turn valve. If
it is, you can remove the whole core and bring it to the store for a
replacement with modern parts.

A picture would help us a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The closest thing I could find at Ace Hardware is a 16 spline handle
but the spline hole is only about 3/8 inch.

Thank you for any suggestions.

hardware store plumbing supplies are limited at best.
Go to a plumbing supply house. if they don't have it
they can likely get it.

lee h

Water heater relief valve -- POW! [email protected] Home Repair 17 December 27th 05 07:42 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM