Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tip: Baking Soda and Super Glue

Most of this video is about repairing a guitar nut, but I share it for what
is shown in the first minute or so:

The hardness of Baking Soda mixed with Super Glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

There are other videos showing the mixture used as a gap filler, etc. and
then filed, shaped, etc.

One video notes that the mixture gets very hot, so you'll want to avoid
getting any on your skin while it cures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Most of this video is about repairing a guitar nut, but I share it for what
is shown in the first minute or so:

The hardness of Baking Soda mixed with Super Glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

There are other videos showing the mixture used as a gap filler, etc. and
then filed, shaped, etc.

One video notes that the mixture gets very hot, so you'll want to avoid
getting any on your skin while it cures.

Not a big deal. Filled plastics are extremely common. Baking soda is
probably not a good filler if it gets wet. For a quick and dirty repair
super glue is probably OK but repair would be more durable if epoxy were
used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 2:24:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Most of this video is about repairing a guitar nut, but I share it for what
is shown in the first minute or so:

The hardness of Baking Soda mixed with Super Glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

There are other videos showing the mixture used as a gap filler, etc. and
then filed, shaped, etc.

One video notes that the mixture gets very hot, so you'll want to avoid
getting any on your skin while it cures.

Highside Chemicals produces some amazing stuff to patch leaks and seal joints. They make a two part patch material that consists of a liquid and a powder. It sets up hard and holds high pressure. I've used their products for years and they've always done the job. Check it out. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgwS8EHG8nU

http://www.highsidechem.com/

[8~{} Uncle Leaky Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 01:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
There are other videos showing the mixture used as a gap filler, etc. and
then filed, shaped, etc.

I used to build model R/C airplanes and that was a common trick. It
makes a nice fillet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 10:57:29 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/18/2016 01:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
There are other videos showing the mixture used as a gap filler, etc. and
then filed, shaped, etc.

I used to build model R/C airplanes and that was a common trick. It
makes a nice fillet.

That's the type of application I was thinking of. When I used to build Soap
Box Derby cars, we'd make the air-foil fillets with epoxy and West System 405
filler. That's fine for "large" applications, but for small applications like
yours, small batches of epoxy and fillet blend would be over-kill (wasteful).

I'm going to store this tip away for future use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 09:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
That's the type of application I was thinking of. When I used to build Soap
Box Derby cars, we'd make the air-foil fillets with epoxy and West System 405
filler. That's fine for "large" applications, but for small applications like
yours, small batches of epoxy and fillet blend would be over-kill (wasteful).

It would be a little slow too. When you're building a wing there are a
lot of rib/spar joints and you can move right along with CA.

If you're doing something that requires a lot of CA hit the hobby
stores. They have a lot of flavors and relatively large quantities. I
can tell you when you're reinforcing the root joint with mesh and
slathering on the CA, it gets a little intense. Who needs proper
ventilation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:49:29 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/18/2016 09:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
That's the type of application I was thinking of. When I used to build Soap
Box Derby cars, we'd make the air-foil fillets with epoxy and West System 405
filler. That's fine for "large" applications, but for small applications like
yours, small batches of epoxy and fillet blend would be over-kill (wasteful).

It would be a little slow too. When you're building a wing there are a
lot of rib/spar joints and you can move right along with CA.

Slow can be OK when you have to sculpt the fillet.

I'll play before I actually use this mixture, but I'm just curious:

How much time do you have to work the BS & SG mixture before it cures
too much to work?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,soc.veterans

On 5/18/2016 12:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Most of this video is about repairing a guitar nut, but I share it for what
is shown in the first minute or so:

http://lemonparty.org

Wot the **** is this?
And don't call me a nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,soc.veterans

In article ,
says...

On 5/18/2016 12:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Most of this video is about repairing a guitar nut, but I share it for what
is shown in the first minute or so:

http://lemonparty.org

Wot the **** is this?
And don't call me a nut.

I've seen that won, and it works.

--

Checkmate, AUK DoW #1, new Honorary FNVW of AUK, and Fakey's master
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2016 06:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
How much time do you have to work the BS & SG mixture before it cures
too much to work?

About .032 seconds with most CA. I mostly used Hot Stuff, which is fast
anyway. There are thicker, slower CA glues but if I was doing something
that required working the joint I'd go with epoxy.

Baking soda is an accelerator so it's counter-productive if you want
something to be workable. You can sand it after the fact but you're not
going to be doing any sculpting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 10:04:15 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/19/2016 06:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
How much time do you have to work the BS & SG mixture before it cures
too much to work?

About .032 seconds with most CA. I mostly used Hot Stuff, which is fast
anyway. There are thicker, slower CA glues but if I was doing something
that required working the joint I'd go with epoxy.

Baking soda is an accelerator so it's counter-productive if you want
something to be workable. You can sand it after the fact but you're not
going to be doing any sculpting.

So for building fillets, you would "sculpt" the BS as much as possible
and then just drizzle on the CA?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 10:04:15 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/19/2016 06:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
How much time do you have to work the BS & SG mixture before it
cures too much to work?

About .032 seconds with most CA. I mostly used Hot Stuff, which is
fast anyway. There are thicker, slower CA glues but if I was doing
something that required working the joint I'd go with epoxy.

Baking soda is an accelerator so it's counter-productive if you want
something to be workable. You can sand it after the fact but you're
not going to be doing any sculpting.

So for building fillets, you would "sculpt" the BS as much as possible
and then just drizzle on the CA?

With super glue, that is the only way you could. You don't have to use
baking soda, BTW, any fine powder will do...talc, pumice, wood sanding
dust...whatever.

If you want to form the mass prior to its hardening, you would do better
using thickened epoxy (same sort of materials to thicken, personally, I like
talc). The epoxy starts to set much more slowly, needs 24 hours minimum to
fully cure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 10:33:39 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 10:04:15 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/19/2016 06:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
How much time do you have to work the BS & SG mixture before it
cures too much to work?

About .032 seconds with most CA. I mostly used Hot Stuff, which is
fast anyway. There are thicker, slower CA glues but if I was doing
something that required working the joint I'd go with epoxy.

Baking soda is an accelerator so it's counter-productive if you want
something to be workable. You can sand it after the fact but you're
not going to be doing any sculpting.

So for building fillets, you would "sculpt" the BS as much as possible
and then just drizzle on the CA?

With super glue, that is the only way you could. You don't have to use
baking soda, BTW, any fine powder will do...talc, pumice, wood sanding
dust...whatever.

....as shown in the video I posted.

If you want to form the mass prior to its hardening, you would do better
using thickened epoxy (same sort of materials to thicken, personally, I like
talc). The epoxy starts to set much more slowly, needs 24 hours minimum to
fully cure.

....as I have already addressed earlier in this thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2016 12:50 AM, rbowman wrote:

It would be a little slow too. When you're building a wing there are a
lot of rib/spar joints and you can move right along with CA.

If you're doing something that requires a lot of CA hit the hobby
stores. They have a lot of flavors and relatively large quantities. I
can tell you when you're reinforcing the root joint with mesh and
slathering on the CA, it gets a little intense. Who needs proper
ventilation?

Ambroid not good enough for you? Never tried CA on balsa. You should
have told me 40 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2016 08:11 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
So for building fillets, you would "sculpt" the BS as much as possible
and then just drizzle on the CA?

Yes. It wasn't a work of art, just a way to fill any gaps. Opaque
MonoKote covers a multitude of sins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2016 07:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Ambroid not good enough for you? Never tried CA on balsa. You should
have told me 40 years ago.

50 years ago or so I used Ambroid, jap tissue, and dope. If nothing else
it was good for a buzz. When I revisited R/C aircraft in the '80s it was
CA and iron-on MonoKote. I already have too many projects but if I got
into again I'd go retro although I've heard Ambroid is almost extinct.
Do you know its history?

http://www.ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/ambroid.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2016 10:31 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/19/2016 07:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Ambroid not good enough for you? Never tried CA on balsa. You should
have told me 40 years ago.

50 years ago or so I used Ambroid, jap tissue, and dope. If nothing else
it was good for a buzz. When I revisited R/C aircraft in the '80s it was
CA and iron-on MonoKote. I already have too many projects but if I got
into again I'd go retro although I've heard Ambroid is almost extinct.
Do you know its history?

http://www.ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/ambroid.htm

Never knew that.

In the 70s I worked for the sister company of Sullivan Products (Pylon
Brand) so I was able to get most anything for RC free or 50% off from
distributors. Fun hobby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2016 09:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
In the 70s I worked for the sister company of Sullivan Products (Pylon
Brand) so I was able to get most anything for RC free or 50% off from
distributors. Fun hobby.

I was doing contract work in the '80s and even if I was working in
Boston I'd just rent a apartment, stay down during the week, and go home
to New Hampshire weekends. Building R/C models was something to do that
was fairly portable and didn't require a huge number of tools. Flying
them was another matter. I'd go electric next time, skip the fuel, glow
plugs, balky engines, noise, and so forth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 May 2016 23:10:03 -0600, rbowman wrote:

[...] fuel, glow plugs, balky engines,

I'm just a bit curious about this. Has anyone ever put one of those little
engines into a roller blade wheel? It seems to be an obvious experiment.

I guess the main problrm would be synchonising the left & right drives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 12:41:51 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 23:10:03 -0600, rbowman wrote:

[...] fuel, glow plugs, balky engines,

I'm just a bit curious about this. Has anyone ever put one of those little
engines into a roller blade wheel? It seems to be an obvious experiment.

I guess the main problrm would be synchonising the left & right drives.

I remember something about a fellow making powered Rollerblades using a Weed Eater motor hooked to a flexible shaft driving one Rollerblade. There are several different types of motor powered Rollerblades. ^_^

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e7_1...e_old_player=0

http://www.random-good-stuff.com/200...-rollerblades/

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/acton-rocketskates/

http://www.ehow.com/how_4618882_buil...lerblades.html

http://www.absolutely-unbelievable.com/?p=1218

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2016 11:41 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 23:10:03 -0600, rbowman wrote:

[...] fuel, glow plugs, balky engines,

I'm just a bit curious about this. Has anyone ever put one of those little
engines into a roller blade wheel? It seems to be an obvious experiment.

I guess the main problrm would be synchonising the left & right drives.

Back in the day I recall someone adapted a model engine to a push
scooter sort of like the modern razers. At least it drove a wheel.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9N...cooter&f=false

http://tinyurl.com/zscob33

How many ways could a prop driven scooter go wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 May 2016 01:11:57 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

There are several different types of motor powered Rollerblades.

Thanks, Uncle. I guess I should have invested a few seconds into a web
search before I posted.

My favorite was the outboard motorized unicyle, but I find myself thinking
that a puller would be safer than a pusher.

Also, what about a big drone on a rope? (Shrouded for safety, of course.)
You could have a jet engine as well. (Whoops, I just realized that behind a
jet is problematic.)

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 9:19:01 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 01:11:57 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

There are several different types of motor powered Rollerblades.

Thanks, Uncle. I guess I should have invested a few seconds into a web
search before I posted.

My favorite was the outboard motorized unicyle, but I find myself thinking
that a puller would be safer than a pusher.

Also, what about a big drone on a rope? (Shrouded for safety, of course.)
You could have a jet engine as well. (Whoops, I just realized that behind a
jet is problematic.)
--

When I was trying to find the particular motorized inline skates I'd seen before, I saw something about some fool strapping on a jetpack to push himself along on Rollerblades. I wonder what his "Terminal" velocity will be? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Foolish Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 6:24:44 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

One of the Science Channel shows (Outrageous Acts of Science, I think) showed a guy
who built a pair of jet powered boots. He put on a wingsuit, jumped out of a hot air ballon,
fired up the boots and flew horizontal until his fuel ran out. The boots provided the thrust,
the wingsuit provided the lift. After the fuel ran out, he glided for a while then pulled his
chute.

Cousin Not-Me Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2016 04:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was trying to find the particular motorized inline skates I'd seen before, I saw something about some fool strapping on a jetpack to push himself along on Rollerblades. I wonder what his "Terminal" velocity will be? ^_^

http://gizmodo.com/5090397/10-gadget...g-a-jet-engine

There isn't a photo ofthe roller skates as far as I can see, but I love
the pulse jet powered shopping cart. Every homeless dude should have one.

For anyone who has never been exposed to a working pulse jet, they're,
um, a little noisy. Hearing protection is a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 10:01:08 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/20/2016 04:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was trying to find the particular motorized inline skates I'd seen before, I saw something about some fool strapping on a jetpack to push himself along on Rollerblades. I wonder what his "Terminal" velocity will be? ^_^

http://gizmodo.com/5090397/10-gadget...g-a-jet-engine

There isn't a photo ofthe roller skates as far as I can see, but I love
the pulse jet powered shopping cart. Every homeless dude should have one.

For anyone who has never been exposed to a working pulse jet, they're,
um, a little noisy. Hearing protection is a good idea.

The Nazis had one that worked fairly well. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Jet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2016 09:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 10:01:08 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/20/2016 04:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was trying to find the particular motorized inline skates I'd seen before, I saw something about some fool strapping on a jetpack to push himself along on Rollerblades. I wonder what his "Terminal" velocity will be? ^_^

http://gizmodo.com/5090397/10-gadget...g-a-jet-engine

There isn't a photo ofthe roller skates as far as I can see, but I love
the pulse jet powered shopping cart. Every homeless dude should have one.

For anyone who has never been exposed to a working pulse jet, they're,
um, a little noisy. Hearing protection is a good idea.

The Nazis had one that worked fairly well. ^_^

Yep. My introduction was in Physics 101. Unlike most college professors
this one spiced up his lectures. For example, he had a bowling ball on a
long wire pendulum that he would hold up to his chin and release.
Physics always worked for him and the bowling ball never quite made it
back to his chin on the return trip. another was a model train with a
flatbed car with a little mortar. The train would chug down the track at
a constant speed, a blank shell would fire a ball vertically out of the
mortar, and the ball would fall back into the mortar a few feet down the
track.

But his piece de resistance was the model ramjet. sneaky ******* would
wait to almost the end of the period before lighting it off in the
lecture hall. Students would stagger out looking more dazed and confused
than usual.

After him, the next three semesters of physics was a distinct let down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 1:14:23 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I'm really dismayed at how little the general public understands about all things scientific. To me, it's unnatural because my interest in science and college major of physics helps me understand how things work which makes it easier for me to repair machines. My hero, Tesla was able to visualize the operation of machines before he built them. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Physical Monster