Old April 8th 16, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Delta Faucet set screw stuck, then hubby tried to drill out screw and broke off the tap out. what do i do now?

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm

Old April 8th 16, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
alt.home.repair and other home improvement groups

Without knowing what exactly this set screw goes into, no way to tell
you what all the options are. But sounds like you can forget about
getting the set screw out and proceed with whatever the other options
are, eg, removing/replacing a stem, the whole faucet, etc. Unless there
is enough of the "tap out" let, (whatever that is, assuming you mean an
easy out type screw extractor) so you can grip it with pliers and that
works, which seems unlikely.
Old April 8th 16, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw
placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Great dilemma you have. I read a web page of someone else who broke
their thread tap and wanted to drill it out. The suggestion was a
carbide drill bit.

http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1089302

but I'm also thinking it might be a lot easier time-wise to put in a new
faucet.

Jan Alter
Old April 8th 16, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

if its a delta single handle..........

use a hacksaw to cut the handle apart, and the top of the ball, then replace parts as needed
Old April 8th 16, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Tammy Longest
wrote:

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Contact Delta and get a free replacement. They are guaranteed for
life. Don't tell them about the drilling, just the problem that had
you working on it in the first place.

Old April 8th 16, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not get
the faucet off.

Old April 8th 16, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Alter" wrote in message ...

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw
placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Great dilemma you have. I read a web page of someone else who broke
their thread tap and wanted to drill it out. The suggestion was a
carbide drill bit.

http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1089302

but I'm also thinking it might be a lot easier time-wise to put in a new
faucet.

Jan Alter

Carbide bit would not help especially if you have brooking tap
the only way to get tap out, you use old top sharping it up and
try to brake remaining part into micro peace's inside of hole, broking
peace's can be pull out by use of magnet or air pressure
(air use use safety glasses)
it is very slow process and in most cases you will need renew the
treads with larger tap (blind-tap) and installing larger set screw.
Note: before you use new tap make sure that all parts of old tap or out.
Old April 8th 16, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
replying to trader_4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not get
the faucet off.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm

The tap is hardened steel, basically it's as hard as a drill bit.
Theoretically, with the right drill bit, in the right set up, eg drill
press where you have total control, *maybe*, you could, but even then
I wouldn't waste my time attempting.
Where it is in the sink, with a handheld drill, fuggadaboutit.

I've yet to see a faucet where a set screw keeps you from just removing
and replacing the whole faucet.
Old April 8th 16, 07:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Just imagine how much a picture would help.
Old April 8th 16, 07:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Tony944 really needs to get help with spelling!!!!!

Removing stuck ss screw from aluminum Pete Keillor[_2_] Metalworking 12 August 9th 12 08:46 PM
Stuck muffler screw stryped[_2_] Metalworking 29 January 20th 09 01:39 AM
stuck set screw cc Woodworking 12 September 29th 07 04:33 PM
Delta faucet screw miamicuse Home Repair 4 November 20th 05 08:08 PM
Stuck screw-in light bulbs. PVR Home Repair 19 December 29th 03 01:16 AM