Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repai,alt.physicsr

Default Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their touching?

My car's radio antenna doesn't fully retract when the radio is off and
it's really cold out. I know it needs to have the mast lubricated,
but the only "oil" I can find now is Sta-bil, the gasoline stabilizer.
Do you think that would work?

More important and with deeper electonic meaning, is it possible that
actual oil say, or any other lubricant, getting between two of the
telescoping sections of the car antenna could impede the electrical
current which is the radio signal? Even if oil conducts electricity
(does it?) the conductivity is less than the metal in the antenna, so
wouldn't there be a partial reflection at the junction between metal
and oil and again between oil and metal, and twice again between the
next larger concentric piece of tubing that is the antenna? About 10
junctions in all, I think, for my 6-section antenna.

Or do the pieces of antenna even have to touch each other for them to
act as one antenna? I know there are signal reflectors that don't
have to touch the antenna, say for an indoor radio, plus my hand
sometimes affects reception, but reflection is different from
reception.

Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their
touching?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:18:12 -0500, Micky
wrote:

[...]

I am shocked that a renown home repairer like you does not have some
oil laying around but you can usually get enough from the dip stick in
the engine to lube that antenna.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2016 01:18 PM, Micky wrote:
My car's radio antenna doesn't fully retract when the radio is off and
it's really cold out. I know it needs to have the mast lubricated,
but the only "oil" I can find now is Sta-bil, the gasoline stabilizer.
Do you think that would work?

A little 3 n 1 oil should do the trick.

I can't recall what I paid for it but the cost / year has just been a
few pennies

I also keep automotive engine oil in a small squirt bottle which is fine
for most things around the house

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repai,alt.physicsr

"Micky" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you already have too much oil and the cold oil is causing
problems. You might try some of the silicon luberciation.

Yes, the antenna sections do need to touch. If just a light coating of oil
is used the sections should penetrate the oil coating and make contact.
I doubt you could really put too much oil on them to prevent electrical
contact, but too much oil might cause mechanical problems of it going up and
down. You did not try to use some grease on them did you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Micky" wrote in message
[...]

It may be better if the sections touch, but if the radio wave made it miles
through the air I think it could handle another millimeter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"taxed and spent" wrote in message
I doubt you could really put too much oil on them to prevent electrical
contact, but too much oil might cause mechanical problems of it going up
and down. You did not try to use some grease on them did you?

It may be better if the sections touch, but if the radio wave made it
miles
through the air I think it could handle another millimeter.

While you would think so, they do not work that way. You can try the same
effect if you slightly pull the antenna away from a TV set while receiving
an on the air station.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repai,alt.physicsr

On 1/27/2016 2:18 PM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Mistake to use Sta-bil as residue from evaporation could make it worse.
If I were you, I'd clean it off before using any oil. If it's dirty you
could gum it up worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repai,alt.physicsr

On 1/27/2016 2:18 PM, Micky wrote:

Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their
touching?

No oil. Use silicone spray lube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:25:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I am shocked that a renown home repairer like you does not have some
oil laying around but you can usually get enough from the dip stick in
the engine to lube that antenna.

Or use some cooking oil, PAM spray, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"taxed and spent" writes:

Yes, the antenna sections do need to touch. If just a light coating of
oil is used the sections should penetrate the oil coating and make
contact.
I doubt you could really put too much oil on them to prevent electrical
contact, but too much oil might cause mechanical problems of it going up
and down. You did not try to use some grease on them did you?

It may be better if the sections touch, but if the radio wave made it miles
through the air I think it could handle another millimeter.

For optimal operation, the antenna should be 1/4 the wavelength of the
signal being received. So, for an 88mhz FM signal, the optimal antenna
would be 0.25(3.4), or 0.85 meters.

Varying from that will reduce the effectiveness of the antenna.

AM signals are received by a loop antenna, not the whip antenna.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My car's radio antenna doesn't fully retract when the radio is off and
it's really cold out. I know it needs to have the mast lubricated,
but the only "oil"

What if you extended the antenna, washed it and used a bit of car wax?
Or clean it with Naphtha to clean the dirt and grim off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:18:31 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
My car's radio antenna doesn't fully retract when the radio is off and
it's really cold out. I know it needs to have the mast lubricated,
but the only "oil" I can find now is Sta-bil, the gasoline stabilizer.
Do you think that would work?

Sell the car...you're not safe driving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
For optimal operation, the antenna should be 1/4 the wavelength of the
signal being received. So, for an 88mhz FM signal, the optimal antenna
would be 0.25(3.4), or 0.85 meters.

Varying from that will reduce the effectiveness of the antenna.

AM signals are received by a loop antenna, not the whip antenna.

What loop antenna on a car ? The only ones I know of was some when the cars
had running boards and the antenna looped under one of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repai,alt.physicsr

On 1/27/2016 3:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/27/2016 2:18 PM, Micky wrote:

Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their
touching?

No oil. Use silicone spray lube.

I'd like silicone in this application.

If your antenna stays up for more than five
hours, see your mechanic.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"taxed and spent" wrote in message
I doubt you could really put too much oil on them to prevent electrical
contact, but too much oil might cause mechanical problems of it going up
and down. You did not try to use some grease on them did you?

It may be better if the sections touch, but if the radio wave made it
miles
through the air I think it could handle another millimeter.

While you would think so, they do not work that way. You can try the same
effect if you slightly pull the antenna away from a TV set while receiving
an on the air station.

That is not the same thing. The extendable car antennas as sleeves, with
much more coupling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 4:09 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:25:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I am shocked that a renown home repairer like you does not have some
oil laying around but you can usually get enough from the dip stick in
the engine to lube that antenna.

Or use some cooking oil, PAM spray, etc.

The one time I knew someone who used cooking
spray (in a keyhole of a door knob lock) it
turned rancid and adhesive. I got to dissemble
it and charge them for cleaning and relube.

I'd not want to use that on car antenna.

Makes me wonder if the sticky part of the
mechanism is way down inside, and treating
the telescoping is only a symptom.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 4:15 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Stormin Mormon writes:
Probably yes, the antenna sectons need to touch.
A bit of oil won't make any difference.

I'd hesitate to use the drop of oil off the
dipstick, the detergent oils absorb moisture
from the air. I'd rather use the transmission
dipstick. Or go buy some oil.

A dry lubricant such as white lithium grease or graphite
would be best.

I wonder what the manufacturer says?

White lith... not what I'd call dry.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 18:14:57 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
For optimal operation, the antenna should be 1/4 the wavelength of the
signal being received. So, for an 88mhz FM signal, the optimal antenna
would be 0.25(3.4), or 0.85 meters.

Varying from that will reduce the effectiveness of the antenna.

AM signals are received by a loop antenna, not the whip antenna.

What loop antenna on a car ? The only ones I know of was some when the cars
had running boards and the antenna looped under one of them.

That is just wrong. I am old enough to remember when cars only had AM
radio and we still used the same whip antenna.

For Micky, I doubt cleaning or oiling is going to fix this unless it
is really gummed up. My guess is there is a kink in one of the
elements or there is a problem in the retractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:18:31 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their
touching?

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...-fix-pics.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I remember my parents 1970 Chevrolet Nova. The AM
antenna was in the windshield, sort of T shaped
loop. No whip antenna to be had.

Many cars had the antenna in the glass. It was for the AM and FM if the car
had both in it. I am not sure where it is in my Camry. Doesn't appear to
show up in the windshield.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:13:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I remember my parents 1970 Chevrolet Nova. The AM
antenna was in the windshield, sort of T shaped
loop. No whip antenna to be had.

That is in response to people breaking off the regular whips and all
the problems they had with the early retractables

I am old enough to remember car radios with tubes in them. (vibrator
power supply). In those days a radio would kill a battery pretty fast
because they pulled about 15a. We didn't start seeing transistor
radios in cars until the 60s. That was "daddy's car", our cars look
like something you see in Havana today. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 8:18:51 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I am old enough to remember car radios with tubes in them. (vibrator
power supply). In those days a radio would kill a battery pretty fast
because they pulled about 15a. We didn't start seeing transistor
radios in cars until the 60s. That was "daddy's car", our cars look
like something you see in Havana today. ;-)

Dad's '60 Caddy had an excellent tube radio...the buzz nearly imperceptible. And you could get to the tubes and vibrator easily...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:
[...]

Those mechanisms can slip. Use a little wipe of oil off rag. Don't over use
oil. Mineral oil, CRC 2-26, silicon spray, or silicon oil. Some tire blacks
are silicon oil.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon writes:
Probably yes, the antenna sectons need to touch.
A bit of oil won't make any difference.

I'd hesitate to use the drop of oil off the
dipstick, the detergent oils absorb moisture
from the air. I'd rather use the transmission
dipstick. Or go buy some oil.

A dry lubricant such as white lithium grease or graphite
would be best.

I wonder what the manufacturer says?

White lith... not what I'd call dry.

Once the carrier (solvent) evaporates, it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
For optimal operation, the antenna should be 1/4 the wavelength of the
signal being received. So, for an 88mhz FM signal, the optimal antenna
would be 0.25(3.4), or 0.85 meters.

Varying from that will reduce the effectiveness of the antenna.

AM signals are received by a loop antenna, not the whip antenna.

What loop antenna on a car ? The only ones I know of was some when the cars
had running boards and the antenna looped under one of them.

You'll not see the loop antenna, it's built into the
radio body.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te_antenna.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
AM signals are received by a loop antenna, not the whip antenna.

What loop antenna on a car ? The only ones I know of was some when the
cars
had running boards and the antenna looped under one of them.

You'll not see the loop antenna, it's built into the
radio body.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te_antenna.jpg

I have seen plenty of the antennas similar to that in radios, but not in one
that is used in a car which is the topic of the discussion.

Even back in the 1950s when almost all car radios were AM they used an
external whip type of antenna.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:05:10 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
AM signals are received by a loop antenna, not the whip antenna.

What loop antenna on a car ? The only ones I know of was some when the
cars
had running boards and the antenna looped under one of them.

You'll not see the loop antenna, it's built into the
radio body.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te_antenna.jpg

I have seen plenty of the antennas similar to that in radios, but not in one
that is used in a car which is the topic of the discussion.

Even back in the 1950s when almost all car radios were AM they used an
external whip type of antenna.

....And the radio will not work without it so there is no "built in "
loop. Truth be told, AM will work with just about anything for an
antenna if you are anywhere near the station but you need something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Even back in the 1950s when almost all car radios were AM they used an

external whip type of antenna.

...And the radio will not work without it so there is no "built in "
loop. Truth be told, AM will work with just about anything for an
antenna if you are anywhere near the station but you need something.

I have not looked at any of the newer car radios, but I bet they do not have
a loop type like that pix in them any more as they are most likely
synsitised and use a crystal and digital circuits for tuning.

Those old loops ere not only for signal pickup, but part of the tuned
circuits for the AM radios.

Yes, for AM almost anything will receive the signasl of the stronger local
sttions.
That is why many of the home and pocket AM receivers did not have an
external antenna.
They just used the loop inside them that was also the tuned circuit to tune
in the stations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

loop antennas are used for AM portable and home radios.

Loop antennas are NOT used for car radios.