Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cannot touch bottom left of 4-wire touch screen

Symptom: When moving up and down the left side of touchscreen, it
inputs an arch running from the top left to the middle bottom.

I have an old Psion netbook with a four wire touchscreen which I
cannot touch the bottom left. I have done research on the problem and
I guess I am very confused as to why it presents and arch instead of
either working/not working for a particular axis. It seems to
"progressively" fail as I move down the left side.

Does anyone know what is going on electrically? What could cause this?
Any hope of fixing it?

Thanks,
Adam
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11 oct, 21:37, ChaseAdam wrote:
Symptom: When moving up and down the left side of touchscreen, it
inputs an arch running from the top left to the middle bottom.

I have an old Psion netbook with a four wire touchscreen which I
cannot touch the bottom left. I have done research on the problem and
I guess I am very confused as to why it presents and arch instead of
either working/not working for a particular axis. It seems to
"progressively" fail as I move down the left side.

Does anyone know what is going on electrically? What could cause this?
Any hope of fixing it?

Thanks,
Adam

Probably one of the touchscreen four wires is disconnected. That itīs
easy to check using a DMM. The problem is to locate where the fault is
located... if in the touchscreen itself or in the flex cable which
goes from the touchscreen to itīs controller.

Normally the failure is in the touchscreen itself, and that means
replacing it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ChaseAdam wrote:

Symptom: When moving up and down the left side of touchscreen, it
inputs an arch running from the top left to the middle bottom.

I have an old Psion netbook with a four wire touchscreen which I
cannot touch the bottom left. I have done research on the problem and
I guess I am very confused as to why it presents and arch instead of
either working/not working for a particular axis. It seems to
"progressively" fail as I move down the left side.

Does anyone know what is going on electrically? What could cause this?
Any hope of fixing it?

Thanks,
Adam

your screwed?

Don't take is personally, just my opinion..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11 oct, 21:37, ChaseAdam wrote:
Symptom: When moving up and down the left side of touchscreen, it
inputs an arch running from the top left to the middle bottom.

I have an old Psion netbook with a four wire touchscreen which I
cannot touch the bottom left. I have done research on the problem and
I guess I am very confused as to why it presents and arch instead of
either working/not working for a particular axis. It seems to
"progressively" fail as I move down the left side.

Does anyone know what is going on electrically? What could cause this?
Any hope of fixing it?

Thanks,
Adam

Sorry for the multipost... the internet connection stalled and I
retried several times to send the answer, without knowing that the
first time I sent it it was published.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lsmartino" wrote in message
On 11 oct, 21:37, ChaseAdam wrote:
Symptom: When moving up and down the left side of touchscreen, it
inputs an arch running from the top left to the middle bottom.

I have an old Psion netbook with a four wire touchscreen which I
cannot touch the bottom left. I have done research on the problem and
I guess I am very confused as to why it presents and arch instead of
either working/not working for a particular axis. It seems to
"progressively" fail as I move down the left side.

Does anyone know what is going on electrically? What could cause this?
Any hope of fixing it?

Thanks,
Adam

Sorry for the multipost... the internet connection stalled and I
retried several times to send the answer, without knowing that the
first time I sent it it was published.

And you did it again, but don't worry most people will never see any of
these messages.. You're posting from Google groups and almost everyon blocks
all messages from google because of spam reasons.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 12, 11:37 am, ChaseAdam wrote:
Symptom: When moving up and down the left side of touchscreen, it
inputs an arch running from the top left to the middle bottom.

I have an old Psion netbook with a four wire touchscreen which I
cannot touch the bottom left. I have done research on the problem and
I guess I am very confused as to why it presents and arch instead of
either working/not working for a particular axis. It seems to
"progressively" fail as I move down the left side.

Does anyone know what is going on electrically? What could cause this?
Any hope of fixing it?

Thanks,
Adam

Probably the touch screen itself. I had a similar problem with a 17"
unit.

Unfortunately it was the glass touch panel.

In the past I have repaired the traces on 2 touch screens, where there
was a chip in the glass edge - (damaging a conductive trace on the
edge) by using a silver dispenser pen. These pens aren't cheap, but
are great for dispensing liquid conductive tracks for such repairs.