Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their touching?

"taxed and spent" wrote in message
I doubt you could really put too much oil on them to prevent electrical
contact, but too much oil might cause mechanical problems of it going up
and down. You did not try to use some grease on them did you?

It may be better if the sections touch, but if the radio wave made it
miles
through the air I think it could handle another millimeter.

While you would think so, they do not work that way. You can try the same
effect if you slightly pull the antenna away from a TV set while receiving
an on the air station.