Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent tube problems

I have 8', Sylvania T12, 75W tubes (2 each) in my shop fixtures. The
other day one of the tubes quit working. I replaced it with a used
spare I had and it worked but appeared to not be as bright as a new
tube would be.

Today I bought a box of new tubes that are exact duplicates of what I
had

http://www.menards.com/main/electric...33660800703824

http://tinyurl.com/oswn9a7

and replaced both of the above tubes with new tubes. Neither new tube
would start properly, they flickered and hummed and would only produce
about 1/2 of the expected light output.

I moved the new tubes to another fixture and had the same results. I
replaced one new tube with a used tube and the used tube worked fine
and the new tube still flickered and hummed and produced 1/2 the
expected light. The results were the same in a third fixture. All in
all I tried variations with six of the new tubes and none worked
properly.

I don't have any spare ballasts to test for a dying ballast. I'm not
sure how old the ballasts are, maybe 10 years old. Could the ballasts
be the culprit or did I get a box of bad tubes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
[...]

Could be a box of bad tubes. It could also be that over the years the gas
inside the tubes have changed due to the mercury scare and the old ballast
will not fire them off correctly.

By any chance was it cold in the area ? If much bleow 60 deg F the newer
tubes have trouble starting up.

I just switched over to some LED type shop lights in my unfinished basement
because of the tluorescent tube problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:06:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

My shop is in an unfinished basement, but the temp is never below 60
deg F.

I just switched over to some LED type shop lights in my unfinished basement
because of the tluorescent tube problems.

What kind and how well do they perform?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

[...]

Have you had your tubes tied?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It could be the ballast. However before you change it I would leave the new bulbs in the fixture and let burn in for a while. I have not used 8' lamps for a long time, but I have had similar problems with new 4' lamps. I noticed that after the 4' lamps are on for an hour they come up to full brightness and no more flickering. After that initial burn-in they are fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
I just switched over to some LED type shop lights in my unfinished
basement

because of the tluorescent tube problems.

What kind and how well do they perform?

The fixtures were bought at Home Depot for about $ 40 each. They are the 4
foot long ones. They plug in a standard 120 volt socket and at one end
there is a small socket socket on the fixture that a cord about 6 inches
long will fit in so you can put several in series.
They seem to be just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

make certain the fixtures are properly grounded, solid ground.........

make certain the fixtures are totally clean.

i have the same problem here. and just bought one new LED 4 foot shop light to test.

new fluroscents ddont appear to work as well and arent as brite. plus just plain fussy.

i repair machines in my shop and like it nice and brite.

i am about to toss all the fluroscents if the led work well
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2015 10:10 PM, bob haller wrote:
make certain the fixtures are properly grounded, solid ground.........

make certain the fixtures are totally clean.

i have the same problem here. and just bought one new LED 4 foot shop light to test.

new fluroscents ddont appear to work as well and arent as brite. plus just plain fussy.

i repair machines in my shop and like it nice and brite.

i am about to toss all the fluroscents if the led work well

At church, they had been using 4100k color
tubes. I rather like that color. Bright,
good color display and all. Trace of blue,
but not enough to matter. Some one up in
the church structure decided to go with
3000k bulbs, which are totally yellow. Now,
all the bulbs we get are 3000k, and I've
been putting them in. As those get replaced,
we'll have a new color scheme.

The ones we used to use were Phillips, and
seemed to do okay. The newer Sylvania tubes
don't last very long.

What color do you use, and what do you like?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:10:07 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

i have the same problem here. and just bought one new LED 4 foot shop light to test.

I'm trying to picture these LED ones. Are they just 4' tubes filled with
a strip of LEDs, or what? I have not seen them yet.

How costly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 13:52:37 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

Could the ballasts
be the culprit or did I get a box of bad tubes?

Good and tight wire nuts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 8:59:32 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

There was no problem with the internal connections. The ballasts
didn't like the new tubes that were ALMOST exact duplicates of what I
had except the new ones had three extra letters; "ECO."

....you admitted it yourself...you're ****head who got the wrong ones. Credit where it's due!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 19:15:03 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 8:59:32 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

There was no problem with the internal connections. The ballasts
didn't like the new tubes that were ALMOST exact duplicates of what I
had except the new ones had three extra letters; "ECO."

...you admitted it yourself...you're ****head who got the wrong ones. Credit where it's due!

Yes I did. However, the reason that startles libturds like you is that
you and your ilk would never admit to a mistake.

My point, that was obviously beyond your mental capability, was that
without the tree-huggers convincing liberal politicians, who were
selling their soul for votes; that the rest of the population would be
better off if they were to only buy new products that were blessed by
the tree-huggers. Thus the market became permeated with similar
looking, but inferior and more costly products.

That is the reason for my buying the wrong tubes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 8:59:32 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

There was no problem with the internal connections. The ballasts
didn't like the new tubes that were ALMOST exact duplicates of what I
had except the new ones had three extra letters; "ECO."

...you admitted it yourself...you're ****head who got the wrong ones. Credit where it's due!

Yes I did. However, the reason that startles libturds like you is that
you and your ilk would never admit to a mistake.

"Sinner, look to thyself"! You couldn't figure-out what ECO meant? (Œ–*_–*)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2015 07:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

I've heard that ethanol fuel is a loss, in terms of
energy production. Same general concept, the result
is more pollution and less effective work done.

I think that's true for ethanol made from corn, but not necessarily from
some other source.

There ought to be a law like Godwin's law, but
dealing with effects of legislation. Unintended
consequence, or some thing.

It (legislation) is supposed to LOOK like it's doing good, and it
doesn't matter how much bad it actually does.

One example I'm often aware of is the intrusive "security" at airports.
There seems to be no limit to how bad that can get.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than
Christianity has made them good." [H.L. Mencken]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2015 6:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Um, you mean "argument", U nead 2 lern 2 spel. Š™.˜‰

Perhaps you were trained in a government school? snicker

True about politics but the government, controlled by politicians, has its tentacles in and interferes with every activity of the citizenry. I must poop in a government designed toilet, eat food inspected by the government, take medication approved by the government, drink government controlled beverages and water adulterated with chemicals by government and obtain medical care supervised by the government. Your home and repairs to your home are often scrutinized by the government. So please explain what's not touched by politics. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Apolitical Monster

E did doo to batly with his spelleng.

The new low flow toilets are a real problem.
My church had two clogged drains this year,
account of some thing. Likely account of low
flow toilets. The plumbing bill was extreme.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 3:59:31 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

I recall reading about a problem with the San Francisco sewers. It's because the city which is full of environment huggers who've adopted every low water usage plumbing fixture in existence doesn't have enough water flowing down the sewers to flush the queer poop to the sewage treatment plant. The city must use thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals to clear the sewer lines. Heck, when I was out in The Pacific, the plumbing system used salt water to flush the toilets in the housing units. I wonder if San Francisco can clear its sewers with salt water instead of dangerous chemicals? If I built a house on an island or next to an ocean, I'd have a dual supply plumbing system. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Sewer Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 16:57:52 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I don't know if the tubes my church uses are eco. But,
I do know they don't last very long, and the light
output is poor. Not sure which admin did this to us,
but I do know I don't much like it.

.... let me narrow that down.

'Electoral College Ornaments' ?
--
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.-- James Madison
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 16:59:36 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The new low flow toilets are a real problem.
My church had two clogged drains this year,
account of some thing. Likely account of low
flow toilets. The plumbing bill was extreme.

Was this "problem" in the male or the female issue with the toilets?

--
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.-- James Madison

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2015 4:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My church had two clogged drains this year,
account of some thing. Likely account of low
flow toilets. The plumbing bill was extreme.

Holy ****?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default church drain clog problems

wrote:

The new low flow toilets are a real problem.
My church had two clogged drains this year,
account of some thing. Likely account of low
flow toilets. The plumbing bill was extreme.

Was this "problem" in the male or the female issue with the toilets?

We had one incident, then another. The first was
cleared with "the jetter". They rolled off 200
plus feet of flexible tubing and a high pressure
nozzle at the end.

About 28 days later, we had the same problem.
Different company, less pricey. 200 feet of
jet and high pressure.

They later ran a camera down the same line,
finding no visible concerns.

We really don't know, but the 28 day interval
is a clue. Second clue, they put up signs
about not flushing femminine product, and the
clog has not happened since. Those who know
suspect low flow toilets combined with flushable
womanly items.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default church drain problems

On 12/26/2015 8:50 PM, astraweb wrote:
On 12/26/2015 4:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My church had two clogged drains this year,
account of some thing. Likely account of low
flow toilets. The plumbing bill was extreme.

Holy ****?

We're not all sure, might have been a super
pooper, or a nag on a rag.

The expensive paid plumbers blew it with a
****nozzle.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2015 9:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Was this "problem" in the male or the female issue with the toilets?

We had one incident, then another. The first was
cleared with "the jetter". They rolled off 200
plus feet of flexible tubing and a high pressure
nozzle at the end.

About 28 days later, we had the same problem.
Different company, less pricey. 200 feet of
jet and high pressure.

They later ran a camera down the same line,
finding no visible concerns.

We really don't know, but the 28 day interval
is a clue. Second clue, they put up signs
about not flushing femminine product, and the
clog has not happened since. Those who know
suspect low flow toilets combined with flushable
womanly items.

We had the same problem at work. Same solution too. The original low
water toilets were terrible. Not much savings when you double or triple
flush. New ones have been perfect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 23:04:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

finding no visible concerns.

We really don't know, but the 28 day interval
is a clue. Second clue, they put up signs
about not flushing femminine product, and the
clog has not happened since. Those who know
suspect low flow toilets combined with flushable
womanly items.

We had the same problem at work. Same solution too. The original low
water toilets were terrible. Not much savings when you double or triple
flush. New ones have been perfect.

Simple solution. Make women REGISTER to buy those feminine products.
Then have a magntic strip on each and every one of them. (like on a
credit card). When one of them clogs a drain, read the magnetic strip
and send the plumbing bill to the registered female owner of that
feminine product!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 4:06:41 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 23:04:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

finding no visible concerns.

We really don't know, but the 28 day interval
is a clue. Second clue, they put up signs
about not flushing femminine product, and the
clog has not happened since. Those who know
suspect low flow toilets combined with flushable
womanly items.

We had the same problem at work. Same solution too. The original low
water toilets were terrible. Not much savings when you double or triple
flush. New ones have been perfect.

Simple solution. Make women REGISTER to buy those feminine products.
Then have a magntic strip on each and every one of them. (like on a
credit card). When one of them clogs a drain, read the magnetic strip
and send the plumbing bill to the registered female owner of that
feminine product!

I can see the TV ads now about how young women must register their schnitzels with the Excretive Service or get screwed by the government. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2015 11:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/26/2015 9:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

clog has not happened since. Those who know
suspect low flow toilets combined with flushable
womanly items.

We had the same problem at work. Same solution too. The original low
water toilets were terrible. Not much savings when you double or triple
flush. New ones have been perfect.

One more possible example of government improving
our lives. I did consider put up "flush twice;
it's a long way to the kitchen" or maybe "low
flow toilet; flush three times" signs, but
realized the church leaders would not be
impressed.

The church had been using Sloan Flushmate, but
has been replacing them with Crane.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2015 7:54 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I can see the TV ads now about how young women must register their schnitzels with the Excretive Service or get screwed by the government. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster

Folks like NRA know that government registration
leads to taxation, which leads to confiscation.

Sadly, the right to keep and bear schnitzels
is not protected by the Constitution.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Govt consequence problems

On 12/26/2015 2:43 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/26/2015 07:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

I've heard that ethanol fuel is a loss, in terms of
energy production. Same general concept, the result
is more pollution and less effective work done.

I think that's true for ethanol made from corn, but not necessarily from
some other source.

There ought to be a law like Godwin's law, but
dealing with effects of legislation. Unintended
consequence, or some thing.

It (legislation) is supposed to LOOK like it's doing good, and it
doesn't matter how much bad it actually does.

One example I'm often aware of is the intrusive "security" at airports.
There seems to be no limit to how bad that can get.

Another example is gun control. Every time
a homicidal person shoots up a bunch of
unarmed victims, the gov't pushes more laws
to further disarm the already unarmed victims.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seawater toilet flush problems

On 12/26/2015 6:07 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Think of the salt water corroding out the cast iron
drain pipes, that would be a plumber's dream, having
all that work.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2015 6:54 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

It might be fair if men had to register every time they took a dump! hahaha!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 7:09:07 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I want the anti-gun politicians to give up their armed guards as a show of good faith to prove to the people that guns are not needed for self defense.. I want them to dial 911 when they are attacked or threatened. ( ”'_')” BAM

[8~{} Uncle Armed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 10:18:59 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Some of my deposits require intervention by a toxic waste spill response team from The EPA. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Toxic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/15 12:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 11:43:03 AM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, because of "The Dumbassification Of America", that concept is lost on the citizens of today who were processed through government schools which were infested decades ago by Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks who've polluted the minds of schoolchildren ever since. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Disappointed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2015 11:13 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I'm laying odds that statement is a 100% true!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 21:51:31 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

We really don't know, but the 28 day interval
is a clue. Second clue, they put up signs
about not flushing femminine product, and the
clog has not happened since. Those who know
suspect low flow toilets combined with flushable
womanly items.

Your church is lucky. You never want to see a female prison restroom
after Visiting Hours, on a heavy holiday adventure. COOTIES!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/15 12:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Stop holding back man, tell us how you really feel;-)

--
There is nothing more terrifying to a home invader than the sound of
shell being racked in a pump shotgun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 4:58:38 PM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

I love to speak truisms in front of the Hysterically Howling Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freak Trans Intellectual Politically Correct crowd because it will cause them to stutter, hyperventilate and have heart palpitations. When they recover somewhat, they start screaming,"LIAR!!" and spewing spittle everywhere. It's very entertaining as long as I remember to bring along an umbrella. ヽ(^o^)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Mean Monster

Dim fluorescent tube Andrew Mawson[_2_] UK diy 61 April 2nd 14 04:34 AM
Oddity with fluorescent tube. Nick UK diy 3 March 10th 14 12:12 AM
fluorescent tube compaitbility Michael Muderick Home Repair 1 November 1st 07 08:28 AM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
price of a fluorescent tube. Mick UK diy 4 April 23rd 04 03:56 PM