Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bale wire jars

I bake a lot of biscotti, here. A key issue in retaining freshness -- as
with most baked goods -- is an air-tight container. During the humid season
(Monsoon), biscotti that are *not* "protected" lose most of their
culinary appeal in a day or two!

"Tins" were the old-school solution to this problem. But, as hands
(fingers) get older, they are often difficult to pry off (nothing
really to "grab onto").

Presently, we use a bale wire aluminum can as it is deep enough for
the biscotti to stand on end (about 8") and has a wide enough mouth
for the cookies to stand next to each other (also about 8") without
trying to funnel through a narrow opening. For folks old enough
to remember how pretzel rods were sold at the bakery counter...

This also facilitates cleaning.

But, the lid is plastic instead of glass. As a result, it is already
showing signs of wear (cracking due to being under strain from the
clamping mechanism). And, I've already had to replace a rivet
that failed from continued use (this is used EVERY day).

For reference, a bale wire jar:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41gDt02lLCL.jpg
the lid is sealed with a rubber seal and held under compression
via the clamping mechanism.

But, I can't seem to find any similar jars that are *large* enough.
E.g., at least 7-8" deep and at least 6" diameter (if round).
Anything smaller would either not hold the cookies (too short)
or not hold *enough* of them (too narrow).

SWMBO really likes the "action" of the clamp as it's relatively
easy to open and reclose -- without bothering arthritic knuckles,
etc. Tins are out. Canister style containers (e.g., with a lid
that has a soft outer edge that "plugs" the opening) probably won't
seal as well.

Do they *make* any such beasts? Or, is the shape not appropriate
for their typical uses (whatever *those* might be)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 9:54 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

You might search for wire seal canning jars. They come in lots of
different sizes, but you may have to order something like the specific
size you need. You can usually find the common sizes for sugar, flour,
etc, but other sizes are like hit and miss in the stores as far as my
own observations.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-11 8:54 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

http://www.containerstore.com/s/kitc...uctId=10011037

These might work for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 9:53:48 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Would a Tupperware container work for you. I often hang onto the hinged thin stiff clear plastic containers I get from the grocery store or deli when I purchase cookies or other baked goods. The containers are not as sturdy as Tupperware but are surprisingly good at sealing out air. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Container Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 9:26 PM, Idlehands wrote:
On 2015-11-11 8:54 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Thanks but I'd already found them. The larger sizes suffer from the
"narrow neck" problem. Imagine the 7 oz version enlarged from
3.25"dia x 3.5" high to *7*" dia and height. KEEPING THE MOUTH
AS WIDE AS THE JAR!

With the narrow mouth of the 3.2 qt jar, you lose several inches
of height -- i.e., the height directly beneath the opening is
much higher than out by the edges. (also, 5.5" dia is probably too
narrow to store a full batch of cookies)

Moving up to the 4.2qt gains back this height (the entire jar is
1.5" taller) but now you'll be trying to extract the biscotti using
"two fingertips" as a sort of tweezers (your hand being too small
to reach *into* the jar to grasp with thumb and forefinger).

I'd wager that all of these jars use the same lid/cover and just
alter the volume of the jar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 9:08 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

ISTM that the image search turns up the same results for "wire seal
canning jars" and "bale wire jars". As I said to IdleHands, the
openings seem to all be the same (dia) regardless of jar size.

I have no idea where I bought the current *metal* container but
regretted the plastic lid at the time of purchase. I had hoped it
would prove more robust than it has, but...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 9:33 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

There are a lot of "things" we could use. Tupperware and those types of
containers seem to be giving SWMBO problems -- trying to pry off the
lids as the hands get older.

I use #10 cans in which I purchase ground tomatoes for "disposable", resealable
containers. E.g., I'll bake pizzelles this weekend for a party and will
"deliver" them in these #10 cans (I save the plastic lids from the ~3.5lb
cans of Planters peanuts to seal the #10 cans as they are the same size...
well, the *old* lids were the same size, planters has made some recent
changes!) So, if one of the cans gets discarded or a lid gets lost,
I'm not "out" anything.

The "bale wire jar" I seek, here, needs a bit more cosmetic appeal.
It resides on the kitchen table permanently (as it is "accessed"
frequently). So, I'd like it to be a bit more appealing AND
robust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 10:50:18 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I have some reusable plastic lids for tin cans that have a large tab which makes them easy to remove. The tab has a hole punched in it that makes the lid easy to hang on a hook or finishing nail sticking out of wooden shelves.. I have seen some Tupperware like containers that have a large tab attached to the lid which makes them very easy to open. Rubbermaid plastic food containers have a tab on the lid that makes them easy to open. I think I have some of then at home. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Pla.../dp/B001HBI7CY

[8~{} Uncle Plastic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:54:03 -0600, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

There are a few possibilities here at Bed, Bath, and Beyond:
http://tinyurl.com/nlrvhgz
Would a coffee container fit the bill?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-11 8:54 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

This is a huge jar (comes in varying sizes) with a 3.5 inch diameter
opening, so your hand would easily fit inside it:

Bormioli Rocco Fido Round Clear Jar, 169-Ounce
Price: $14.99
http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco.../dp/B0001BMYGQ

There's a smaller square style, if you don't need such a large jar:

Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jar with Blue Lid, 33-3/4-Ounce
Price: $8.61
http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco.../dp/B00471MP42

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
The "bale wire jar" I seek, here, needs a bit more cosmetic appeal.
It resides on the kitchen table permanently (as it is "accessed"
frequently). So, I'd like it to be a bit more appealing AND
robust.

if you like the container, but need a new lid
perhaps someone could make some for you? i'm
sure there are craftspeople around who'd be
happy to do it.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 10:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I used a few different search terms and this one yielded some results:

Scroll down this page to see different choices.
http://www.worldmarket.com/content/5...hotPepperJelly

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2421957...f=sr_gallery_2

http://www.houzz.com/glass-canister-with-seal
or
http://www.houzz.com/photos/2541759/...sters-and-jars
--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-12, Don Y wrote:

But, the lid is plastic instead of glass.

Avoid ANY plastic. My late mother hadda buncha plastice wire-bale
containers. Hadda toss 'em all cuz they permanently absorbed the
flavor/aroma of the contents. Specially bad if the contents tend
toward rancidity, like nut meats.

For reference, a bale wire jar:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41gDt02lLCL.jpg
the lid is sealed with a rubber seal and held under compression
via the clamping mechanism.

Buy a small one to try out, initially. I've found the Bormioli brand
jars, from Amazon, have a major flaw. The rubber gasket absorbs ANY
smell/flavor fer months. The gasket in my Bormioli coffee grounds jar
smelled of coffee for 6 mos after I quit using it. I never had this
problem with Luminarc jars, but that brand is becoming harder and
harder to locate:

http://www.goodmans.net/d/1530/lumin...ccessories.htm

I usta have the 3L jar and I recall it was tall enough for dried
spaghetti pasta. You may wanna check dimensions, first.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2015 5:28 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

That looks like the container that we currently use (I'm going to guess
we have the 130 oz size (about 1 gallon volume) given the choices
they present. It's problem (aside from being poorly made) is the
top is plastic (acrylic) and cracks from the continued strain
of being under compression all the time (cuz it's always "sealed").

If the lid was made of glass (like more traditional bale wire jars)
it wouldn't have that problem.

But, note the shape: you open the top and have access to *all*
of its contents -- even any "little cookies" that aren't "tall
enough" to extend up to the top of the container. So, you don't
have to try to fish around for the cookie that you *want*
(sometimes you want a big one, sometimes you want a small one)
through a tiny opening.

Likewise, when the number of cookies falls to a smaller number
and they can no longer "stand up" side by side, you can easily
retrieve them "lying flat" on the bottom of the container.

It has been able to accommodate my "ever lengthening" biscotti
baking style (recipe changes cause the cookies to get longer
which means taller container required). And, it's big enough for
1.5 batches of cookies (ideally, it would be EXACTLY 1.0 batches
in size to make it a bit smaller on the kitchen table -- but, we
don't complain over the slightly larger width).

[I.e., this was a great container from a usability point of
view. It's just not held up well from a *durability* point
of view!]

Would a coffee container fit the bill?

Like this referenced on the same page?
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oggi-ez-grip-regular-coffee-canister/1016088455

I think too small -- esp considering the volume lost to the "hand-hold"
that is molded into the side (?)

Our local Costco has some (overpriced) XMAS cookies that they are selling
in a *ceramic* container of this sort (though it is square with round
opening so not quite as accessible). The idea of buying a fancy jar
of cookies and throwing away the cookies seems sort of silly. But,
if the jar proves to be "acceptable", we may go that route. Though
not having a clear body or lid is a drawback -- means you have to
open it to see how many are left (and how many days before I will
have to bake another batch!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 10:38:50 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
On 2015-11-12, Don Y wrote:

[...]

I have one of those jars at home and I believe it has a translucent silicone rubber gasket on the glass lid. I never noticed any odor from it but I only use it to store rice. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Glass Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2015 9:33 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Mason jars don't work -- they seem to have a standard mouth size of 3" (ID)
regardless of jar volume. A *child* might be able to get their hand in
that but I find even *4"* to be a squeeze.

The "Weck" jars look great -- but are tiny. Our current jar is O(1 gallon)
and the jars on this page are O(1 liter).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2421957...f=sr_gallery_2

Oooo! That looks good! But, on Etsy, you know it's typically a "one off"
sale. But, maybe I can use google image-search to find another!

http://www.houzz.com/glass-canister-with-seal

The jar has to be air tight. So, any with "set on" lids won't cut it.
Jars with lids that are like "plugs" (flexible seal around the edge)
tend to be too hard to "pull" off (for a loose fit, there's usually no
problem but once the lid starts to "grab" the jar in order to
effect its seal, it becomes difficult to remove. We looked at some
like that in a kitchen-wares store last week -- *I* thought them
"perfect" but SWMBO had trouble wrestling the lids off)

The Bormioli and Hermetic jars have too narrow of an opening.
Imagine reaching *into* the "jar of pretzels" shown there to
fetch the last pretzel from the bottom of the jar. Or, to
fetch a *particular* pretzel!

The Williams-Sonoma don't seal air tight. The (ambiguous) description
of the "Glass Canisters Set of Three" I suspect indicates that they
don't seal air tight, either! This appears to be the case for many
others on the page.

The "Gallon Glass Jar with Lid" looks ideal! But, I suspect it
doesn't seal air tight and just relies on a "gravity seal" between
two imperfect mating surfaces.

[I can't overstate the importance of air-tight! The slightest
exposure to moisture ruins the cookies. Imagine leaving a bag of
popcorn or potato chips "out" for two weeks...]

Most of the rest of the page falls into one of these categories...

or
http://www.houzz.com/photos/2541759/...sters-and-jars

Too small. The stainless "canister set" (Best of Basics Stainless Steel)
on the right side of that page shows something similar to what we
currently have. Really wide mouth so you can easily fetch a small
biscotti that may have "fallen flat" in the bottom of the jar.

The "lid fastener" (that latch mechanism) was the real win for SWMBO
as it makes it relatively easy to open and close *tight*. No need
to try to unSCREW or unPLUG a tight fitting lid -- yet you are assured
the "tightness" of the seal.

I'll see if I can harvest the white ceramic "cookie" jar image and use that
for a search!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 8:52 AM, Don Y wrote:
I'll see if I can harvest the white ceramic "cookie" jar image and use that
for a search!

Ha! Current item at Target:
http://www.target.com/p/jumbo-round-cookie-jar/-/A-574558#prodSlot=medium_2_5

We'll drop in and have a touchy-feely...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 9:52 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Well, you might be able to find the right kind of jar and wire closure,
but have to replace the seal with a better one special ordered or even a
seal created for another purpose. I figure the links might at least be
helpful for you to get close to what you're looking for.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 9:56 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 11/13/2015 8:52 AM, Don Y wrote:
I'll see if I can harvest the white ceramic "cookie" jar image and use
that
for a search!

Ha! Current item at Target:
http://www.target.com/p/jumbo-round-cookie-jar/-/A-574558#prodSlot=medium_2_5

We'll drop in and have a touchy-feely...

Eureka! Pay dirt!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 8:59 AM, Muggles wrote:

I'll see if I can harvest the white ceramic "cookie" jar image and use that
for a search!

Well, you might be able to find the right kind of jar and wire closure,
but have to replace the seal with a better one special ordered or even a
seal created for another purpose. I figure the links might at least be
helpful for you to get close to what you're looking for.

Given how hard it has been to find a suitable *jar*, I think the
prospects of finding a COMPATIBLE (replacement) seal would be even
less likely. Finding a "suitable" jar that is available "in quantity"
at least gives us the hope that we can find a replacement for the
jar (or, buy a "spare").

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2015 6:23 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Moving up to the 4.2qt gains back this height (the entire jar is
1.5" taller) but now you'll be trying to extract the biscotti using
"two fingertips" as a sort of tweezers (your hand being too small
to reach *into* the jar to grasp with thumb and forefinger).

I'd wager that all of these jars use the same lid/cover and just
alter the volume of the jar.

This is a huge jar (comes in varying sizes) with a 3.5 inch diameter opening,
so your hand would easily fit inside it:

I must have big hands : A Mason jar has a 3" *INNER* diameter top
(i.e., the OPENING is 3") and I can't even get four fingers into it!
A 4" dia PVC pipe that I happen to have handy is do-able... but I'm
not sure how effectively my hand would be able to navigate the
contents of such a jar to find a particular cookie (esp if the
jar isn't transparent -- I realize the jar cited *is* clear).
Remember, a cookie can end up "falling flat" to the *bottom* of
the jar requiring you to put your entire hand in the jar just
to reach the cookie (when the jar is full, the cookies force
each other to stand on end; as cookies are removed, there is less
constraint on those remaining so they tend to fall over. Jar in
question is 11 inches tall -- so, you've got all of your
hand and wrist completely *in* the jar to reach the "dead soldiers"
on the bottom!

Bormioli Rocco Fido Round Clear Jar, 169-Ounce
Price: $14.99
http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco.../dp/B0001BMYGQ

There's a smaller square style, if you don't need such a large jar:

Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jar with Blue Lid, 33-3/4-Ounce
Price: $8.61
http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco.../dp/B00471MP42

Our current jar is a bit over a gallon in volume (probably close to
that 169 oz size). And, almost exactly as tall as the biscotti are
wide (keeping in mind that they stand on end in the jar). That's a bit
more than is required for a single batch. But, the "excess volume"
takes the form of "space for additional biscotti ALONGSIDE the others"
instead "above them". So, opening our jar when *full* makes easy
pickings of the contents. And, as the cookies start to "slump" when
the jar empties, you can still just peek in and grab whichever one you
want.

I'm convinced the mouth of the jar needs to be the same as the
width of the jar (i.e., no "neck") to be a good fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Mason jars don't work -- they seem to have a standard mouth size of 3" (ID)
regardless of jar volume. A *child* might be able to get their hand in
that but I find even *4"* to be a squeeze.

they do make large mouth canning jars which you can
reach into without any trouble, but they are usually in
quart sizes at most places i see them. some larger
ones can be found too, but not as often...

as the large mouth jars are commonly available there
are various lids for them.

for those that have trouble opening or closing them
there are various gadgets for that available.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-13 11:43 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Empty pickle jar? Or maybe a set of pickle tongs?

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 10:16 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 11/13/2015 8:59 AM, Muggles wrote:

I'll see if I can harvest the white ceramic "cookie" jar image and
use that
for a search!

Well, you might be able to find the right kind of jar and wire closure,
but have to replace the seal with a better one special ordered or even a
seal created for another purpose. I figure the links might at least be
helpful for you to get close to what you're looking for.

Given how hard it has been to find a suitable *jar*, I think the
prospects of finding a COMPATIBLE (replacement) seal would be even
less likely. Finding a "suitable" jar that is available "in quantity"
at least gives us the hope that we can find a replacement for the
jar (or, buy a "spare").

Good luck on your search. Maybe the target one will work?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-12, Don Y wrote:

But, the lid is plastic instead of glass.

Avoid ANY plastic. My late mother hadda buncha plastice wire-bale
containers. Hadda toss 'em all cuz they permanently absorbed the
flavor/aroma of the contents. Specially bad if the contents tend
toward rancidity, like nut meats.

In general, I dislike plastic primarily for freshness issues.
Certain types of plastic block oxygen transport; others don't.
E.g., when i wrap biscotti for shipping, I wrap them in "Saran"
wrap (for moisture), *then* tinfoil. PITA but it beats shipping
air-tight containers to people! :

Odor isn't a problem with this as *all* it will be used for is
biscotti and they don't have an appreciable scent.

OTOH, most of my (rubbermaid?) containers for marinara sauce
are permanently stained red -- makes me wonder what my insides
must look like! :-/

For reference, a bale wire jar:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41gDt02lLCL.jpg
the lid is sealed with a rubber seal and held under compression
via the clamping mechanism.

Buy a small one to try out, initially. I've found the Bormioli brand
jars, from Amazon, have a major flaw. The rubber gasket absorbs ANY
smell/flavor fer months. The gasket in my Bormioli coffee grounds jar
smelled of coffee for 6 mos after I quit using it. I never had this
problem with Luminarc jars, but that brand is becoming harder and
harder to locate:

http://www.goodmans.net/d/1530/lumin...ccessories.htm

I usta have the 3L jar and I recall it was tall enough for dried
spaghetti pasta. You may wanna check dimensions, first.

The problem is typically opening size. This is something that you
use daily. And, don't "pour" out of. Most of those containers
have small openings that top larger vessels -- i.e., have a "neck".

E.g., we have a buddy who brings us pickled vegetables and other
"canned" items. Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things
out because you can't effectively navigate their contents with
fingers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-13, Don Y wrote:

Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things out because you
can't effectively navigate their contents with fingers.

You need to learn howto use chopsticks.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:

E.g., we have a buddy who brings us pickled vegetables and other
"canned" items. Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things
out because you can't effectively navigate their contents with
fingers.

Anyone who reaches into a pickle jar with their fingers should
not be allowed to eat pickles. No quicker way to alter the
flavor than to contaminate the brine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 2:39 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Don Y writes:

E.g., we have a buddy who brings us pickled vegetables and other
"canned" items. Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things
out because you can't effectively navigate their contents with
fingers.

Anyone who reaches into a pickle jar with their fingers should
not be allowed to eat pickles. No quicker way to alter the
flavor than to contaminate the brine.

Soak them in fermented grape. And then use a
metal poker to get the pickles. A tine in time
saves wine.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Odor isn't a problem with this as *all* it will be used for is
biscotti and they don't have an appreciable scent.

i really dislike the soaps that cling to plastics
so i much prefer storage in glass containers.

OTOH, most of my (rubbermaid?) containers for marinara sauce
are permanently stained red -- makes me wonder what my insides
must look like! :-/

only put it in after it cools and never reheat in the
container (i hate 'em and use glass jars instead).

The problem is typically opening size. This is something that you
use daily. And, don't "pour" out of. Most of those containers
have small openings that top larger vessels -- i.e., have a "neck".

E.g., we have a buddy who brings us pickled vegetables and other
"canned" items. Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things
out because you can't effectively navigate their contents with
fingers.

wide mouth jars exist.

also, i forgot to mention that you can often find
pickles or other bulk items in larger glass jars that
have a large mouth that are available at some of the
grocers but you have to find the bulk food area. we
get saurkraut and pickles this way and the jars work
great as food storage containers. if the lid smells
from the pickles/kraut i put a piece of plastic
wrap over it and then put the lid on...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 9:49 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2015-11-13 11:43 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Pickle jars typically have screw on lids and retain the vinegar odor
indefinitely (I try to "collect" large glass jars for storing things
like popcorn, barley, oats, etc. -- pickle, relish, mustard, etc.
containers are simply impossible to "desmellify")

Would you want to have to keep a set of tongs on your kitchen table
alongside the LARGE jar just so you could retrieve cookies? Or,
have to fetch the tongs each time you wanted another one?

[Imagine eating a can of Pringles and *not* tipping the can to
extract its contents but, instead, trying to fetch each chip
individually "from above".]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 10:24 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/13/2015 10:16 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 11/13/2015 8:59 AM, Muggles wrote:

I'll see if I can harvest the white ceramic "cookie" jar image and
use that
for a search!

Well, you might be able to find the right kind of jar and wire closure,
but have to replace the seal with a better one special ordered or even a
seal created for another purpose. I figure the links might at least be
helpful for you to get close to what you're looking for.

Given how hard it has been to find a suitable *jar*, I think the
prospects of finding a COMPATIBLE (replacement) seal would be even
less likely. Finding a "suitable" jar that is available "in quantity"
at least gives us the hope that we can find a replacement for the
jar (or, buy a "spare").

Good luck on your search. Maybe the target one will work?

We'll see. Hopefully stop in at Target on our evening "rounds".
Apparently, Costco has something similar (but filled with crappy
cookies that we'd have to discard). We'll check that as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-13, Don Y wrote:

Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things out because you
can't effectively navigate their contents with fingers.

You need to learn howto use chopsticks.

How do you think I ate today's lunch? :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-13 11:43 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

We use the tongs to get pickles out of a pickle jar, once they get near
the bottom, so no that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Another idea is large olive jars, there are *very* big ones, out there,
my buddy got them and we could cram an entire sleeping bag into one for
canoe trips, just in case we tipped, you do not want a wet sleeping bag
at the end of a long day paddling. Our sleeping bags never smelled like
olives even though they were plastic jars. I have no idea where he got
them.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-13, Don Y wrote:

Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things out because you
can't effectively navigate their contents with fingers.

You need to learn howto use chopsticks.

How do you think I ate today's lunch? :

The only food I am any good at eating with chop sticks is sushi.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y should look into using an "O" ring to replace a gasket that he does not like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bale wire jars [SOLVED]

On 2015-11-13 11:43 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Do you leave your pickle jar on the kitchen table with the tongs
ALONGSIDE IT every day? SWMBO uses a spoon to fish pickled onions
out of a Mason jar. But, doesn't eat them every day and doesn't
leave them -- and the spoon -- sitting on the table in the interim.

Each of our "canisters" (sugar, flour, etc.) sit on the counter,
not in a cupboard. The measuring cups (i.e., mechanisms by which
we remove materials from those containers) sit in a drawer. We don't
leave them sitting out on the counter alongside the canisters
despite the fact that we're in one or more canisters every day!
(it would be unhygenic)

Another idea is large olive jars, there are *very* big ones, out there, my
buddy got them and we could cram an entire sleeping bag into one for canoe
trips, just in case we tipped, you do not want a wet sleeping bag at the end of
a long day paddling. Our sleeping bags never smelled like olives even though
they were plastic jars. I have no idea where he got them.

I don't eat olives but don't imagine they smell like much? Did you
leave the sleepping bag in the jar "between trips"? I.e., for months
at a time? Or, for just a few hours?

We've tried reusing 1G jars from pickels ("Famous Dave's Signature Spicey
Pickle Chips"), relish ("Vlassic Sweet Relish"), Mustard ("French's
Classic Yellow"), etc. All "aromatic" items. Each were impossible
to get the previous ingredients' odors out of. Anything plastic
just clings to the odor. Glass containers were odor free -- but the
"seals" on the undersides of the screw-on lids retain the scent
forever. We've tried filling the lids with dish soap, baking powder
and other cleaning agents and letting them *sit* for weeks at a time
with no change in results.

We purchase most of our spices in 7 oz glass jars ("Indo-European"
brand). The jars are handy for storing other foodstuffs and
materials (e.g., baking soda, cream of tartar, baking powder,
XXX sugar, popcorn salt, etc.). But, jars for anything aromatic
end up NOT being reusable for this reason.

We *did* have success with (some brand who's name is now lost to
us because we removed the labels) Maraschino Cherries in ~40 oz
wide mouth glass jars. No residual smell. So, we use them to
store small amounts of popcorn (we buy it in 50lb sacks), barley,
oats, different rices, "soup mixes", etc.

Our friend who does the pickling/canning discards the tops of the
mason jars when we return them (empty) as the seals on those
lids absorb the smells of the previous ingredients. (Apparently
you can purchase these lids in bulk quantities so folks must
do this as a matter of course!)

We bought a "decorative jar of cookies", tonight, that *might*
be good enough. The ID of opening is 5.5" so no problem
rummaging around inside the jar. It *may* be a bit short at
7" (internally -- 9" externally) so I'll have to be careful
about controlling the shape/size of any contents. The issue that
is hardest to guesstimate is the internal volume and its
suitability to purpose; will it hold an entire batch of cookies?
(as it was not being sold as a *container* but, rather, as
something that packaged the *cookies* they were selling, I'll
have to empty it and see how much water it holds).

Picture he
http://www.mediafire.com/view/j96qd43jt444je3/CookieJar_%28Small%29.JPG
(sorry, I am terrible with close up shots! This being terribly
overexposed!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

We stopped in this afternoon. They had every type of "cookie jar"
on the shelf -- except the one we were interested in! Sales droid
claims that "model" is "on-line only". And, we're not going to buy
something like that sight-unseen... frown

But, trying the Costco cookies + jar as pictured elsewhere this
thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-13, Don Y wrote:

Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things out because you
can't effectively navigate their contents with fingers.

You need to learn howto use chopsticks.

How do you think I ate today's lunch? :

The only food I am any good at eating with chop sticks is sushi.

I eat with the tools appropriate for the meal in question.
E.g., oriental dishes I use chopsticks; shrimp I use a
shrimp fork; deep dish pizza a knife and fork; NY-style pizza
my hands; etc. It just doesn't "feel right" using something else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 12:39 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Don Y writes:

E.g., we have a buddy who brings us pickled vegetables and other
"canned" items. Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things
out because you can't effectively navigate their contents with
fingers.

Anyone who reaches into a pickle jar with their fingers should
not be allowed to eat pickles. No quicker way to alter the
flavor than to contaminate the brine.

If *you* are the only one eating the contents, I suspect it is
best to let *you* decide how you want to eat them! :
We're not operating a restaurant here... (and we *do* wash our
hands before and after touching foodstuffs)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 2:05 PM, songbird wrote:
Don Y wrote:
Odor isn't a problem with this as *all* it will be used for is
biscotti and they don't have an appreciable scent.

i really dislike the soaps that cling to plastics
so i much prefer storage in glass containers.

We collect glass jars. I have boxes of them in assorteed (small)
sizes in the garage as there is ALWAYS something that can benefit
from storage in a jar -- and a glass jar being better than a plastic
one (especially if you have to incur the cost of storing them;
why store a plastic one if you can store a glass one in the
same space?).

OTOH, we *do* use plastic jars for our citrus juice harvest.
This year, we'll be using 32oz Gatorage jars for most of
the OJ; ~12oz "vitamin bottle" containers for the lemon
juice (anything more than that risks going bad as it takes
several days to use that much, normally); 4oz "vitamin
bottle" (different vitamins) containers for the lime juice
(because we only use lime juice in small quantities).

In the case of the Gatorade jars, those will get discarded after
this one season of use (too hard to clean the pulp out with those
narrow mouths). The lemon and lime containers will be reused as we
strain the pulp before filling them (not fond of pulp in lemon
or lime juice!)

OTOH, most of my (rubbermaid?) containers for marinara sauce
are permanently stained red -- makes me wonder what my insides
must look like! :-/

only put it in after it cools and never reheat in the
container (i hate 'em and use glass jars instead).

It would be impractical to wait for the sauce to cool before
packaging it. I make 16q at a time (takes a whole day to cook)
so the sauce at the bottom of the sauce pan is still steaming
hot when the sauce at the top of the pan has cooled (despite
frequent "turning" after the heat has been removed). It's
not a good idea to let any foods sit at "room temperature"
for any period of time (i.e., while waiting for the stuff at
the bottom of the pot to cool). So, I move it into small
containers and the bottom shelf of the refrigerator as soon
as practical. Once it has cooled *to* room temperature
in the refrigerator, I clean the condensate from the underside
of the container lids (I like my sauce thick so take every
opportunity to DISCARD moisture), seal them and move them to the
bottom of the freezer chest in the garage (where they will cool
much more quickly)

OTOH, I've been using the same containers for 20+ years JUST
for sauce so I figure some staining is bound to happen! :

The problem is typically opening size. This is something that you
use daily. And, don't "pour" out of. Most of those containers
have small openings that top larger vessels -- i.e., have a "neck".

E.g., we have a buddy who brings us pickled vegetables and other
"canned" items. Invariably, you have to use a fork to fish things
out because you can't effectively navigate their contents with
fingers.

wide mouth jars exist.

Wide is a relative term. Most jars like Mason (Ball) have 3.375"
openings. That's just not practical. Would you eat potato chips
from such a jar? (reaching *in* to fetch them) Or cookies?

also, i forgot to mention that you can often find
pickles or other bulk items in larger glass jars that
have a large mouth that are available at some of the
grocers but you have to find the bulk food area. we
get saurkraut and pickles this way and the jars work
great as food storage containers. if the lid smells
from the pickles/kraut i put a piece of plastic
wrap over it and then put the lid on...

Again, the openings on most wide-mouth jars aren't very wide at
all. The openings on the Maraschino cherry jars I mentioned
are just under 4" inner diameter. That's about the smallest
I can accommodate with my hands.

The other problem with glass jars and *traditional* covers
is that they tend to have coarse threads -- so, just a fraction
of a turn to close them or open them. This typically means they
are harder to open and close (cuz you want them to fully engage
their seals) -- especially when they are so large that your
(old) hand can't closed into a strong grasping position.

["Don, can you open this for me?" or "Why do you always put the
lids on SO TIGHT??" etc.]

That was the beauty of the wire bale jars -- no twisting required
(to open *or* close). Just flip up (or down) the latch and
the lid moves accordingly!