Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_8_] FrozenNorth[_8_] is offline

Default bale wire jars

On 2015-11-13 11:43 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 11/12/2015 6:23 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Moving up to the 4.2qt gains back this height (the entire jar is
1.5" taller) but now you'll be trying to extract the biscotti using
"two fingertips" as a sort of tweezers (your hand being too small
to reach *into* the jar to grasp with thumb and forefinger).

I'd wager that all of these jars use the same lid/cover and just
alter the volume of the jar.

This is a huge jar (comes in varying sizes) with a 3.5 inch diameter
opening,
so your hand would easily fit inside it:

I must have big hands : A Mason jar has a 3" *INNER* diameter top
(i.e., the OPENING is 3") and I can't even get four fingers into it!
A 4" dia PVC pipe that I happen to have handy is do-able... but I'm
not sure how effectively my hand would be able to navigate the
contents of such a jar to find a particular cookie (esp if the
jar isn't transparent -- I realize the jar cited *is* clear).
Remember, a cookie can end up "falling flat" to the *bottom* of
the jar requiring you to put your entire hand in the jar just
to reach the cookie (when the jar is full, the cookies force
each other to stand on end; as cookies are removed, there is less
constraint on those remaining so they tend to fall over. Jar in
question is 11 inches tall -- so, you've got all of your
hand and wrist completely *in* the jar to reach the "dead soldiers"
on the bottom!

Bormioli Rocco Fido Round Clear Jar, 169-Ounce
Price: $14.99
http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco.../dp/B0001BMYGQ

There's a smaller square style, if you don't need such a large jar:

Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jar with Blue Lid, 33-3/4-Ounce
Price: $8.61
http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco.../dp/B00471MP42

Our current jar is a bit over a gallon in volume (probably close to
that 169 oz size). And, almost exactly as tall as the biscotti are
wide (keeping in mind that they stand on end in the jar). That's a bit
more than is required for a single batch. But, the "excess volume"
takes the form of "space for additional biscotti ALONGSIDE the others"
instead "above them". So, opening our jar when *full* makes easy
pickings of the contents. And, as the cookies start to "slump" when
the jar empties, you can still just peek in and grab whichever one you
want.

I'm convinced the mouth of the jar needs to be the same as the
width of the jar (i.e., no "neck") to be a good fit.

Empty pickle jar? Or maybe a set of pickle tongs?

Pickle jars typically have screw on lids and retain the vinegar odor
indefinitely (I try to "collect" large glass jars for storing things
like popcorn, barley, oats, etc. -- pickle, relish, mustard, etc.
containers are simply impossible to "desmellify")

Would you want to have to keep a set of tongs on your kitchen table
alongside the LARGE jar just so you could retrieve cookies? Or,
have to fetch the tongs each time you wanted another one?

[Imagine eating a can of Pringles and *not* tipping the can to
extract its contents but, instead, trying to fetch each chip
individually "from above".]

We use the tongs to get pickles out of a pickle jar, once they get near
the bottom, so no that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Another idea is large olive jars, there are *very* big ones, out there,
my buddy got them and we could cram an entire sleeping bag into one for
canoe trips, just in case we tipped, you do not want a wet sleeping bag
at the end of a long day paddling. Our sleeping bags never smelled like
olives even though they were plastic jars. I have no idea where he got
them.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati