Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default bale wire jars

On 11/11/2015 9:08 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/11/2015 9:54 PM, Don Y wrote:
I bake a lot of biscotti, here. A key issue in retaining freshness -- as
with most baked goods -- is an air-tight container. During the humid
season
(Monsoon), biscotti that are *not* "protected" lose most of their
culinary appeal in a day or two!

"Tins" were the old-school solution to this problem. But, as hands
(fingers) get older, they are often difficult to pry off (nothing
really to "grab onto").

Presently, we use a bale wire aluminum can as it is deep enough for
the biscotti to stand on end (about 8") and has a wide enough mouth
for the cookies to stand next to each other (also about 8") without
trying to funnel through a narrow opening. For folks old enough
to remember how pretzel rods were sold at the bakery counter...

This also facilitates cleaning.

But, the lid is plastic instead of glass. As a result, it is already
showing signs of wear (cracking due to being under strain from the
clamping mechanism). And, I've already had to replace a rivet
that failed from continued use (this is used EVERY day).

For reference, a bale wire jar:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41gDt02lLCL.jpg
the lid is sealed with a rubber seal and held under compression
via the clamping mechanism.

But, I can't seem to find any similar jars that are *large* enough.
E.g., at least 7-8" deep and at least 6" diameter (if round).
Anything smaller would either not hold the cookies (too short)
or not hold *enough* of them (too narrow).

SWMBO really likes the "action" of the clamp as it's relatively
easy to open and reclose -- without bothering arthritic knuckles,
etc. Tins are out. Canister style containers (e.g., with a lid
that has a soft outer edge that "plugs" the opening) probably won't
seal as well.

Do they *make* any such beasts? Or, is the shape not appropriate
for their typical uses (whatever *those* might be)?

You might search for wire seal canning jars. They come in lots of
different sizes, but you may have to order something like the specific
size you need. You can usually find the common sizes for sugar, flour,
etc, but other sizes are like hit and miss in the stores as far as my
own observations.

ISTM that the image search turns up the same results for "wire seal
canning jars" and "bale wire jars". As I said to IdleHands, the
openings seem to all be the same (dia) regardless of jar size.

I have no idea where I bought the current *metal* container but
regretted the plastic lid at the time of purchase. I had hoped it
would prove more robust than it has, but...