Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pipe heat tape

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:59:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm not a mechanic, or plumber, or electrician, so yeah, I know very
little about residential propane water heaters, or tempering valves.

Go figure. I should beat myself with a wet noodle because I asked a
question about water heaters and the cost.

Victim Card Detector max out

What people are saying is to be more clear and specific. Best you can.

One step at a time. What I understand is you haven't even finished
the green house, yet you want heat for the fish.

Building a "great" green house may not require heat for the fish
except in rare instances.

Keep the cart ahead of the horse.

Did you even look at the first link I posted in a reply? Aquaponics
in Wisconsin. I suggested to contact them to see how they raise fish
(perch) in winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 11:04 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:59:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm not a mechanic, or plumber, or electrician, so yeah, I know very
little about residential propane water heaters, or tempering valves.

Go figure. I should beat myself with a wet noodle because I asked a
question about water heaters and the cost.

Victim Card Detector max out

LOL I should have added a smiley face, or /sarcasm tag.

What people are saying is to be more clear and specific. Best you can.

Sure, but I don't always know what people don't know to be more clear on.

One step at a time. What I understand is you haven't even finished
the green house, yet you want heat for the fish.

Temps are starting to drop at night, but we aren't needing an immediate
solution until they drop during the daytime, too. So, I'm inquiring
ahead of time to get ideas of other options we might build into the
green house, now.

Building a "great" green house may not require heat for the fish
except in rare instances.

Tilapia are very strong fish to raise. They don't have too many
particulars except for not tolerating lower temps (below 70°). We've
know that heating the water can be cheaper than heating the green house,
and that large tanks of water and gravel on the ground can be passive
heat sources, too. One main problem in the green house is fluctuating
temps between day and night, which can kill any veggies we're trying to
grow via the aquaponics system even IF the fish can tolerate the
temperature changes.

Keep the cart ahead of the horse.

Did you even look at the first link I posted in a reply? Aquaponics
in Wisconsin. I suggested to contact them to see how they raise fish
(perch) in winter.

Oh yes. We done a lot of reading on the subject via links similar to
yours. This is our 5th year with a green house and running an aquaponics
system. Our first system was small and each year it's grown.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

`On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:15:31 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/15/2015 11:04 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:59:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm not a mechanic, or plumber, or electrician, so yeah, I know very
little about residential propane water heaters, or tempering valves.

Go figure. I should beat myself with a wet noodle because I asked a
question about water heaters and the cost.

Victim Card Detector max out

LOL I should have added a smiley face, or /sarcasm tag.

What people are saying is to be more clear and specific. Best you can.

Sure, but I don't always know what people don't know to be more clear on.

Take what they say and verify it independently to validate it is true.

One step at a time. What I understand is you haven't even finished
the green house, yet you want heat for the fish.

Temps are starting to drop at night, but we aren't needing an immediate
solution until they drop during the daytime, too. So, I'm inquiring
ahead of time to get ideas of other options we might build into the
green house, now.

Temps are dropping here to, so we turn off the AC and open windows...

Building a "great" green house may not require heat for the fish
except in rare instances.

Tilapia are very strong fish to raise. They don't have too many
particulars except for not tolerating lower temps (below 70°). We've
know that heating the water can be cheaper than heating the green house,
and that large tanks of water and gravel on the ground can be passive
heat sources, too. One main problem in the green house is fluctuating
temps between day and night, which can kill any veggies we're trying to
grow via the aquaponics system even IF the fish can tolerate the
temperature changes.

Modify the GH temp fluctuations. We still don't know how it is
constructed. You can always let heat out. Keeping heat in is another
approach.

Keep the cart ahead of the horse.

Did you even look at the first link I posted in a reply? Aquaponics
in Wisconsin. I suggested to contact them to see how they raise fish
(perch) in winter.

Oh yes. We done a lot of reading on the subject via links similar to
yours. This is our 5th year with a green house and running an aquaponics
system. Our first system was small and each year it's grown.

The first year and fifth year methods should not change much except
for the scale of production.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 11:41 AM, Oren wrote:
`On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:15:31 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/15/2015 11:04 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:59:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm not a mechanic, or plumber, or electrician, so yeah, I know very
little about residential propane water heaters, or tempering valves.

Go figure. I should beat myself with a wet noodle because I asked a
question about water heaters and the cost.

Victim Card Detector max out

LOL I should have added a smiley face, or /sarcasm tag.

What people are saying is to be more clear and specific. Best you can.

Sure, but I don't always know what people don't know to be more clear on.

Take what they say and verify it independently to validate it is true.

Well, I usually try to do that, but sometimes end up asking more
questions until I understand what I'm supposed to be looking for.

One step at a time. What I understand is you haven't even finished
the green house, yet you want heat for the fish.

Temps are starting to drop at night, but we aren't needing an immediate
solution until they drop during the daytime, too. So, I'm inquiring
ahead of time to get ideas of other options we might build into the
green house, now.

Temps are dropping here to, so we turn off the AC and open windows...

Same here. I get to spend more time outside now that the heat isn't in
the upper 90's - 100's!

Building a "great" green house may not require heat for the fish
except in rare instances.

Tilapia are very strong fish to raise. They don't have too many
particulars except for not tolerating lower temps (below 70°). We've
know that heating the water can be cheaper than heating the green house,
and that large tanks of water and gravel on the ground can be passive
heat sources, too. One main problem in the green house is fluctuating
temps between day and night, which can kill any veggies we're trying to
grow via the aquaponics system even IF the fish can tolerate the
temperature changes.

Modify the GH temp fluctuations. We still don't know how it is
constructed. You can always let heat out. Keeping heat in is another
approach.

The original green house was a hoop house. I figured most people know
what that is so didn't go into more detail. The new one is wood
construction. I thought I mentioned that at some point. hmmm

Do you need more specifics like 4x4 beam construction, insulated walls
with bat and batten siding, and 4x6 beams at the top? The north wall
will have windows at a 53° angle to catch the winter angle of the sun
better and reduce overheating in the summer time. The north wall is
solid (no windows). The general building plan looks close to this:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...uildEazyGH.jpg if you're
looking at it facing east. The door is on the west side of the
building, and the windows face south. Also our door is going to be much
wider than the one pictured so we can get large tanks in an out of the
building, and right now we're planning on having a large sliding barn
door, but that may change. On the south wall there's a knee wall. All
the walls that don't have windows will be double insulated. We plan on
having automatic solar windows that open when the temps get too hot and
close when the temps cool down. (need more info? Or pics, maybe?)

Keep the cart ahead of the horse.

Did you even look at the first link I posted in a reply? Aquaponics
in Wisconsin. I suggested to contact them to see how they raise fish
(perch) in winter.

Oh yes. We done a lot of reading on the subject via links similar to
yours. This is our 5th year with a green house and running an aquaponics
system. Our first system was small and each year it's grown.

The first year and fifth year methods should not change much except
for the scale of production.

Well, the first couple of years were learning how to run a green house
PLUS incorporate aquaponics into the system. All research on the latter
subject is kind of like going from video to website collecting bits and
pieces of what other people have done in their own set-ups, which is
nothing like our set-up.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 12:35 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Wait... it's the SOUTH wall that'll have the 50° windows. SORRY!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:35:43 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

That pic is terrible. I downloaded it, blew it up and can't read it.

I can only tell the frame shape. How is the GH covered in your
plans.... Visqueen, shade cloth, dual layers of visqueen, one inside
another outside? (like a dual pane window) Details matter. Roof shade
cloth removed in winter?

Hen's teeth and frog hairs......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 1:08 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'll take some real photos and post them... maybe by tomorrow.

I can only tell the frame shape. How is the GH covered in your
plans....

My husband ordered some poly carbonate roof material, but I haven't seen
it yet. He's supposed to pick it up today. I think it's like 4'x6'
sheets? When he gets it here at the house I'll be able to give more
details on that.

Visqueen, shade cloth, dual layers of visqueen, one inside
another outside? (like a dual pane window) Details matter. Roof shade
cloth removed in winter?

The previous green house was covered by thick plastic. In the summer we
also used some shade cloth to cut down on the heat issue. We probably
won't need the shade cloth next year, though.

Hen's teeth and frog hairs......

Hen's like to think they have teeth, but ours like to lie to us every
chance they get.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:53:58 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

I guess your husband knows, more logically what is going on as he is
not so emotional, eh? Put him on the line.... we can talk this out.

I get tired of my wife repeating herself. The more she talks, the
more she thinks she is "communicating". It happened today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 3:34 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

LOL I have to keep trying to do things myself or I won't learn anything.

Here's pictures of the outdoor adult tilapia tank, with grow trays on
top, sump in the back, and large barrel filter:

http://i58.tinypic.com/30jsm77.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2i8euiw.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/ehamf6.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/14ah36h.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/n4e903.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2872q6f.jpg

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:37:30 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Here's pictures of the outdoor adult tilapia tank, with grow trays on
top, sump in the back, and large barrel filter:

http://i58.tinypic.com/30jsm77.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2i8euiw.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/ehamf6.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/14ah36h.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/n4e903.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2872q6f.jpg

Those tanks a black so they will retain some heat. I'd guess the
portable patio heater I mention before will supplement the heat over
night.

Those ferns are cold sensitive. It doesn't take much cold to kill
them. If they are in water, then you are drowning them. They don't
need a lot of water (tropical). You could cover them with burlap on
cold nights

I thought you were growing food plants (winter varieties will do good)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2015 9:46 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:37:30 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Here's pictures of the outdoor adult tilapia tank, with grow trays on
top, sump in the back, and large barrel filter:

http://i58.tinypic.com/30jsm77.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2i8euiw.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/ehamf6.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/14ah36h.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/n4e903.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2872q6f.jpg

Those tanks a black so they will retain some heat. I'd guess the
portable patio heater I mention before will supplement the heat over
night.

Those ferns are cold sensitive. It doesn't take much cold to kill
them. If they are in water, then you are drowning them. They don't
need a lot of water (tropical). You could cover them with burlap on
cold nights

The ferns are in a grow bed that have 'grow media' below the pots so
they aren't drowning but are getting a constant supply of fish
fertilizer. The Boston fern is gigantic and has doubled in size since we
bought it this spring, and it'll be moved inside when we move the fish
and grow beds inside for the winter. Most all the plants in the grow
beds are there to help filter the fish water. We've experimented with
different plants to see which one like the system and which ones not so
much.

I thought you were growing food plants (winter varieties will do good)

That grow bed is at the end of the season and we've been growing duck
weed and some water plants in them. We have another grow bed above the
juvenile tank that has strawberry plants and fresh basil growing in it
right now. During the summer we move everything out to the garden area,
so there's not much in the green house grow beds right now.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 22:25:52 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

After clean the fish (fillets), bury the carcases in your growing
media. Watch the plants take off. Plants love fish emulsion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2015 7:36 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

lol The best time to process fish is when you're really mad about
something. Chopping off heads and gutting something is pretty satisfying!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:45:27 -0500, Muggles wrote:

After clean the fish (fillets), bury the carcases in your growing
media. Watch the plants take off. Plants love fish emulsion.

lol The best time to process fish is when you're really mad about
something. Chopping off heads and gutting something is pretty satisfying!

A guy I used to work with was an avid bow hunter. At night he would
shoot carp in the local river. He would give me the fish (s) now and
then, so I buried the whole fish in my garden. Tomato plants 15' high.
Cherry tomatoes half dollar sized. Regularly I had other varieties
weigh ~ 1 pound. Fed all the neghbors and made sauce for the winter
months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2015 11:30 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:45:27 -0500, Muggles wrote:

After clean the fish (fillets), bury the carcases in your growing
media. Watch the plants take off. Plants love fish emulsion.

lol The best time to process fish is when you're really mad about
something. Chopping off heads and gutting something is pretty satisfying!

A guy I used to work with was an avid bow hunter. At night he would
shoot carp in the local river. He would give me the fish (s) now and
then, so I buried the whole fish in my garden. Tomato plants 15' high.
Cherry tomatoes half dollar sized. Regularly I had other varieties
weigh ~ 1 pound. Fed all the neghbors and made sauce for the winter
months.

We've buried a few fish as fertilizer and enjoyed the same results. We
also use the fish water and the old chicken bedding on our garden, too.

Our tomatoes get so huge that we can't contain them with double height
tomato cages. I'm tired of that scenario so next year we're going to
build some trellises into our raised beds that can handle the weight.
--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:37:43 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

I dug 2 foot holes, stood 16 foot 2X4s vertical in the garden. As the
tomatoes grew I loosely tied then with strips of cotton T-shirts. That
will support them. No wire cages needed.

If you live near a river that floods in winter, when the water goes
down visit boat ramps. Shovel the black muck into containers and haul
it home. Till into the garden, add some fish scraps. At a feed
store, locate dehydrated chicken manure in a bag. Tomatoes love it as
do other plants. Do not use fresh chicken manure as it is to hot and
burns plants. You can also make a tea and pour it on the garden.

Worm casting make a good tea, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2015 12:01 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Well, we use the old wintered chicken bedding in the raised beds since
it's pretty well composted, plus we have a spot where we compost tree
leaves all winter, too. All that compost material sure helped when we
filled up our new rebuilt raised beds last spring. After a year of
growing everything settles and we have to add more in the spring. The
waste from the fish aquaponics set-up is probably equivalent to the
black muck you mentioned, plus we know what we've been feeding the fish,
so no surprises there. I used to make a spray out of molasses, fish
emulsion, and a third ingredient I can't think of right now, and the
plants LOVED it, too.

Now, I make my own organic insecticidal soap by using Simple Green,
liquid soap, and Tea Tree oil and mix it with water. Works great! Not
one aphid on my plants sprayed with it, and ants die on contact.

Worm casting make a good tea, too.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:10:57 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Now, I make my own organic insecticidal soap by using Simple Green,
liquid soap, and Tea Tree oil and mix it with water. Works great! Not
one aphid on my plants sprayed with it, and ants die on contact.

A simple mix of dish soap and water in a spray bottle works just fine
to kill aphids. Mist the leaves now and again.

What are your plans to save the fish over winter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:10:57 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Well, we use the old wintered chicken bedding in the raised beds since
it's pretty well composted, plus we have a spot where we compost tree
leaves all winter, too.

Do you know what that white stuff in chicken **** is?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Chicken ****!

Sorry but it is a question and answer from last century by and old
man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2015 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:10:57 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Now, I make my own organic insecticidal soap by using Simple Green,
liquid soap, and Tea Tree oil and mix it with water. Works great! Not
one aphid on my plants sprayed with it, and ants die on contact.

A simple mix of dish soap and water in a spray bottle works just fine
to kill aphids. Mist the leaves now and again.

What are your plans to save the fish over winter?

We're moving a couple of tanks into the new green house. IF the adult
fish aren't cooked up at the fish fry my son was talking about, they'll
move indoors to one of those tanks. They breed, too, so keeping them
will just produce more babies. They're mouth breeders, but some of the
babies get sucked into the pipes and end up in the sump tank. They
survive on algae and bits of food that gets into the sump. When they
get big enough they're moved to a juvenile tank.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2015 4:56 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:10:57 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Well, we use the old wintered chicken bedding in the raised beds since
it's pretty well composted, plus we have a spot where we compost tree
leaves all winter, too.

Do you know what that white stuff in chicken **** is?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Chicken ****!

Sorry but it is a question and answer from last century by and old
man.

haha! When the hens are in the process of laying, they'll start 'bawk
bawk bawking' and the whole group will "BAWK BAWK BAWK!!" as if they're
encouraging the hen in the process of laying. It's kind of funny.
Nothing like fresh eggs for breakfast, though.

--
Maggie