Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SR-71 **OT*** but good story

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 7:50:29 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice story. One of the SR-71's is in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, next to Dulles Airport. It arrived there from LA in one hour, 4 mins. It's there along with the Wright Brother's plane, the Enola Gay and a space shuttle. Nice
progress in just 80 years. SR71 was flying about 60 years after the Wright Brothers. Shows what we can do when we really try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2015 07:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice.

Wish I could have seen one in action...
Just saw one after it was retired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2015 5:29 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/14/2015 07:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice.

Wish I could have seen one in action...
Just saw one after it was retired.

We have one here out by The Boneyard. While it's "cool" looking, I personally
am more impressed with the B52/X15 pair; the idea of something that *big*
launching something that *fast* that long *ago*...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 6:50:29 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Somewhere on YouTube there is a ride along.
They leak and burn a lot of fuel to get up to refuel level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2015 09:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/14/2015 5:29 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/14/2015 07:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice.

Wish I could have seen one in action...
Just saw one after it was retired.

We have one here out by The Boneyard. While it's "cool" looking, I
personally
am more impressed with the B52/X15 pair; the idea of something that *big*
launching something that *fast* that long *ago*...

When I was a kid, I think most of my friends wanted to be a X-15 pilots.

When we took a trip for school and flew for the first time, my friend
puked and that put his X-15 career to a halt.

One of my customers who had been an air-force crewmen told me he only
once was on a mission where he did not puke.

He told me that military pilots aren't made out of the same stuff the
rest of us are made of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Good one.

One of the history (?) shows had an episode on the SR-71 at Area 51.
The Air Force tricked Soviet spy satellites by painting the tarmac in
the shape of the plane, a dark color (black ?). The plane was in the
hangar or in the air
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...ing-story-ever

A similar SR-70 story goes something like:

Pilot: Center, Austin 40 requesting flight level 600
Center: Austin 40, you can have it if you can reach it.
Pilot: Roger center - descending to flight level 600.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:
On 10/14/2015 5:29 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/14/2015 07:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice.

Wish I could have seen one in action...
Just saw one after it was retired.

We have one here out by The Boneyard. While it's "cool" looking, I personally
am more impressed with the B52/X15 pair; the idea of something that *big*
launching something that *fast* that long *ago*...

Saw a SR-71 flyover at edwards, once up on a time. Also saw a shuttle
landing there circa 1987.

There's an SR-71 at the Castle AFB museum in Merced. As for something *big*,
they also have a B-36 (6x turboprop pushers, 4x turbojet) which is the largest bomber
ever built.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2015 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Give the credit to the guy who actually wrote it: it's from Brian
Shul's book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 12:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Saw a SR-71 flyover at edwards, once up on a time. Also saw a shuttle
landing there circa 1987.

There's an SR-71 at the Castle AFB museum in Merced. As for something *big*,
they also have a B-36 (6x turboprop pushers, 4x turbojet) which is the largest bomber
ever built.

Talk about big...I saw the Spruce Goose when it was on display in LA a
long time ago.

The way it was displayed, you could not see it until you went around a
bend, then saw it all at once.

It seemed impossible that it could have flown...but it did once briefly.

It was designed with the engines inside the wing, so in theory one could
work on an engine while the plane was in flight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:27:03 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 10/14/2015 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Give the credit to the guy who actually wrote it: it's from Brian
Shul's book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet".

The link did give credit if you paid attention. Clearly posted on the
link was:

"This amazing story is an excerpt from Brian Shul's Sled Driver :
Flying the World's Fastest Jet. Buy it now on Amazon!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/14/2015 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Give the credit to the guy who actually wrote it: it's from Brian
Shul's book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet".

The link did give credit if you paid attention. Clearly posted on the
link was:

"This amazing story is an excerpt from Brian Shul's Sled Driver :
Flying the World's Fastest Jet. Buy it now on Amazon!"

Thanks for pointing that out

I made sure the link I posted did give credit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/14/2015 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Give the credit to the guy who actually wrote it: it's from Brian
Shul's book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet".

The link did give credit if you paid attention. Clearly posted on the
link was:

"This amazing story is an excerpt from Brian Shul's Sled Driver :
Flying the World's Fastest Jet. Buy it now on Amazon!"

Thanks for pointing that out

I made sure the link I posted did give credit

Moe can duck and weave and not be a nit picker

I enjoyed the "excerpt"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
philo writes:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...azing-story-ev

er

A similar SR-70 story goes something like:

Was there an SR-70? For a while the AF was obsessed with linear naming for
fighters, at least so I wouldn't doubt it. Had uncles at Republic, Grumman
and Lockheed (aero engineering family) and some other places I can't
remember. But I do remember we would always go to the company's first
public airshow of any jet my relatives worked on and have a picnic
afterward.

I remember the 102, the 104 and the 105. I remember the 104 the most
because it was nicknamed the "star fighter" and being a kid, conjured images
of these jets flying around the stars with Rocky Jones or Flash Gordon. It
was the delta-wing F-106 that really looked like a spaceship.

Pilot: Center, Austin 40 requesting flight level 600
Center: Austin 40, you can have it if you can reach it.
Pilot: Roger center - descending to flight level 600.

What always amazed me was no matter whomever was really filing the flight
plans was why no one thought the Sovs wouldn't bend heaven and earth to
shoot one of the Blackbirds down. Or, more likely, they knew they would get
great pictures until then and the pilots like Gary Francis Powers were
expendable. It was a really BIG news item when I was a kid.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/14/2015 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Give the credit to the guy who actually wrote it: it's from Brian
Shul's book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet".

The link did give credit if you paid attention. Clearly posted on the
link was:

"This amazing story is an excerpt from Brian Shul's Sled Driver :
Flying the World's Fastest Jet. Buy it now on Amazon!"

Thanks for pointing that out

I made sure the link I posted did give credit

Moe can duck and weave and not be a nit picker

I enjoyed the "excerpt"!

Possibly he did not see the credit at the bottom due to the ad with the
scantily clad ladies.

I guess I'm too old to have let it distract me much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:55:48 -0500, philo wrote:

Possibly he did not see the credit at the bottom due to the ad with the
scantily clad ladies.

I guess I'm too old to have let it distract me much.

Now I am upset. Did I miss Boo Bees?

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/14694902/boo-bees_tshirt?productId=318694900

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 04:20 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:55:48 -0500, philo wrote:

Possibly he did not see the credit at the bottom due to the ad with the
scantily clad ladies.

I guess I'm too old to have let it distract me much.

Now I am upset. Did I miss Boo Bees?

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/14694902/boo-bees_tshirt?productId=318694900

They did not show bare ones

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...azing-story-ev

er

A similar SR-70 story goes something like:

Was there an SR-70?

Not that I ever heard of, I think he just made a typo

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...azing-story-ev
er

A similar SR-70 story goes something like:

Was there an SR-70?

Not that I ever heard of, I think he just made a typo

Just thought I'd ask - might have been prototype. IIRC, he's former USAF
and might have had some inside info.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2015 8:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 7:50:29 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Nice story. One of the SR-71's is in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, next to Dulles Airport. It arrived there from LA in one hour, 4 mins. It's there along with the Wright Brother's plane, the Enola Gay and a space shuttle. Nice
progress in just 80 years. SR71 was flying about 60 years after the Wright Brothers. Shows what we can do when we really try.

Our Nations Leaders appear to be really trying,
but not in a direction that I approve.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 1:07 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
philo writes:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...ing-story-ever

A similar SR-70 story goes something like:

Pilot: Center, Austin 40 requesting flight level 600
Center: Austin 40, you can have it if you can reach it.
Pilot: Roger center - descending to flight level 600.

First time in ages I laughed out loud at
a usenet post. Very well done, good fellow.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2015 2:30 PM, philo wrote:
Talk about big...I saw the Spruce Goose when it was on display in LA a
long time ago.

The way it was displayed, you could not see it until you went around a
bend, then saw it all at once.

It seemed impossible that it could have flown...but it did once briefly.

It was designed with the engines inside the wing, so in theory one could
work on an engine while the plane was in flight.

Likely not MPG, but GPM. Galons per mile.

Big can be advantage, but it takes lot of fuel.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in news:mvp4c3$agp$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What always amazed me was no matter whomever was really filing the flight
plans was why no one thought the Sovs wouldn't bend heaven and earth to
shoot one of the Blackbirds down.

They tried. That's what they built the MiG-25 for: to get as high as possible, as quickly as
possible, to try to intercept the Blackbird.

One of the Blackbird pilots told of a recon flight over Soviet territory when the Soviet AF tried to
intercept them -- a MiG managed to get close enough to launch rockets.

The Blackbird went to afterburners.

And outran the rockets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 8:24:19 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in news:mvp4c3$agp$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What always amazed me was no matter whomever was really filing the flight
plans was why no one thought the Sovs wouldn't bend heaven and earth to
shoot one of the Blackbirds down.

They tried. That's what they built the MiG-25 for: to get as high as possible, as quickly as
possible, to try to intercept the Blackbird.

One of the Blackbird pilots told of a recon flight over Soviet territory when the Soviet AF tried to
intercept them -- a MiG managed to get close enough to launch rockets.

The Blackbird went to afterburners.

And outran the rockets.

Is the top speed of the SR-71, A-12 and YF-12 still classified? I know an average speed record of almost 2,200 mph was made by one crew but what was the top speed. I must wonder what replaced the aircraft other than satellites? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Speed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Robert Green" wrote in news:mvp4c3$agp$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What always amazed me was no matter whomever was really filing the

flight
plans was why no one thought the Sovs wouldn't bend heaven and earth to
shoot one of the Blackbirds down.

They tried. That's what they built the MiG-25 for: to get as high as

possible, as quickly as
possible, to try to intercept the Blackbird.

One of the Blackbird pilots told of a recon flight over Soviet territory

when the Soviet AF tried to
intercept them -- a MiG managed to get close enough to launch rockets.

The Blackbird went to afterburners.

And outran the rockets.

I hear they wrote a song about that: "Bye, Bye, Blackbird."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:40:55 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Wiki puts it at 2200 MPH. Interesting though, that final flight from LA to
Dulles had an average speed of 2148, taking 64 mins. Now IDK how they measure
world records, but I would assume it would have to take off, climb out, then
repeat at Dulles. If they did that, I don't see how the average could be so
close to the top speed.

I think the official position is that no new plane has replaced it.
There have been many reports over the years though of contrails seen high
in the sky with a peculiar "donuts on a string" look. That's lead to
speculation that they have some kind of new pulse type engine that's a
lot faster. Who knows... But it would seem rare that the military gives up a
cool and useful tool, without having a replacement. In this case it
could be a super fast, stealth, drone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/14/2015 6:50 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/military...=inf_10_93_ 2

Give the credit to the guy who actually wrote it: it's from Brian
Shul's book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet".

The link did give credit if you paid attention. Clearly posted on the
link was:

"This amazing story is an excerpt from Brian Shul's Sled Driver :
Flying the World's Fastest Jet. Buy it now on Amazon!"

Ah, good. My apologies for missing that - you see, a buddy had
previously emailed me a link to another version of this thing, and
that version didn't acknowledge the author. When I glanced at this
link and saw it was the same account w/same images, I didn't bother to
finish reading all the way through. Glad to see this one noted who
wrote it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

Is the top speed of the SR-71, A-12 and YF-12 still classified?
I know an average speed record of almost 2,200 mph was made by
one crew but what was the top speed. I must wonder what replaced
the aircraft other than satellites?

The Air Force would admit IIRC to Mach 2.5 -- but the same book where I read about
outrunning Sov missiles quoted one pilot as saying that the aircraft was capable of over Mach
3.5.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 05:46:01 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I think the official position is that no new plane has replaced it.
There have been many reports over the years though of contrails seen high
in the sky with a peculiar "donuts on a string" look. That's lead to
speculation that they have some kind of new pulse type engine that's a
lot faster. Who knows... But it would seem rare that the military gives up a
cool and useful tool, without having a replacement. In this case it
could be a super fast, stealth, drone?

X-37B Space Plane: (pics)

http://www.space.com/11033-photos-x37b-space-plane-2nd-flight.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 7:46:12 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I've read some stories that tell of experimental hypersonic aircraft that actually burned fuel on the surface of the aircraft. As I remember, the stories first appeared more than 20 years ago. When you consider how long the F-117 fighter was operational before the public was told about it, there must be something else in the stable that frightens the excrement out of other governments. There's mention of an aircraft called the "Aurora". Over the years it's been speculated that top secret aircraft such as the F-117 were seen by civilians and thought to be extraterrestrial spacecraft flow by medium sized green men. Anyway, I love that kind of stuff because I'm a big fan of SciFi and have been since I was a small boy. I used to scour the library shelves for anything I could find. Me, my brother and friends would swap and share all the SciFi books and magazines we got our hands on. I'm jealous of today's kids who have this wonderful resource called The Internet and at the same time, dismayed that many kids aren't interested in learning and are squandering the wonderful source of instant information that's available to the great majority of them. Heck, I'm still learning about new things and I really enjoy it. o_O

http://fas.org/irp/mystery/pde.htm

http://fas.org/irp/mystery/aurora.htm

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 9:23:03 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote in
:

Is the top speed of the SR-71, A-12 and YF-12 still classified?
I know an average speed record of almost 2,200 mph was made by
one crew but what was the top speed. I must wonder what replaced
the aircraft other than satellites?

The Air Force would admit IIRC to Mach 2.5 -- but the same book where I read about
outrunning Sov missiles quoted one pilot as saying that the aircraft was capable of over Mach
3.5.

Heck, they've all been grounded now so we'll just have to dream. I want to see the next thing that replaced it whether it's manned or drone. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Flying Monster