Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is happening...URL, ISP or what?

Had my ISP out this week. Tracing lines, checking nodes and wires back
~5,000 feet down the road. (ADSL)

Told someone HAD changed my "profile", meaning they were pushing to
much data. The in home service tech then had the cable guy out that
figured it all out. For now, things seem fine in the house. Now, I'm
experiencing a strange problem while listening to an online radio
show. It happens only on one URL while listening. I can watch or
listen to other links and not experience the problem.

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

I did a speed test after the service checks, which is better than
before. I was losing ~10% before.

Where or how can I figure this out? Is the site I listen too or
something else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/15 3:05 PM, Oren wrote:
Had my ISP out this week. Tracing lines, checking nodes and wires back
~5,000 feet down the road. (ADSL)

Told someone HAD changed my "profile", meaning they were pushing to
much data. The in home service tech then had the cable guy out that
figured it all out. For now, things seem fine in the house. Now, I'm
experiencing a strange problem while listening to an online radio
show. It happens only on one URL while listening. I can watch or
listen to other links and not experience the problem.

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

I did a speed test after the service checks, which is better than
before. I was losing ~10% before.

Where or how can I figure this out? Is the site I listen too or
something else?

Can you try this site from a different location ? neighbor's house, or
at work ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 16:43:51 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 10/9/15 3:05 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I could try it next door; however, they have a different ISP
service. And. I do not work, so that idea is out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:05:12 -0700, Oren
wrote:

Had my ISP out this week. Tracing lines, checking nodes and wires back
~5,000 feet down the road. (ADSL)

Told someone HAD changed my "profile", meaning they were pushing to
much data. The in home service tech then had the cable guy out that
figured it all out. For now, things seem fine in the house. Now, I'm
experiencing a strange problem while listening to an online radio
show. It happens only on one URL while listening. I can watch or
listen to other links and not experience the problem.

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

That's nothing. I've had it say the same thing 10 or 20 times. It
usually sounds funny.

I find it happens when I have too many tabs open in Firefox, that is,
when I'm using too much RAM.... I think. Maybe it's thrashing with
the swap file.

I did a speed test after the service checks, which is better than
before. I was losing ~10% before.

Where or how can I figure this out? Is the site I listen too or
something else?

If it's only that site, that probably has something to do with it**

What happens if you close some programs, especiall the one that uses the
most RAM. I don't remember how to tell which one that is, but
webbrowser tabs mount up. Or you coudl do cntl-alt-delete and look at
CPU usage. Sort on the CPU column so the high users are at the top. If
it's not the music program, close it and see if that helps your music.

If you listen to web radio with a web browser, then you can't close the
entire web browser, though you coudl close extra windows, but simpler
than that is to get radio maximus which uses mostly the same feeds but
is a much much smaller program. My webbrowser can slot to a halt, but
the radio keeps playing.

You can also record with it, and if you pay for it you can schedule
recordings when you're not there, even when the computer is turned off.
Eerie.

**I've noticed when I watch a weak tv station, sometimes the commercials
come in well and the show poorly, and sometimes the opposite. I would
have thought that AGC put out the same signal strenghth all the time. ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey! You gots any more of that **** yer smokin'?
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 11:38:37 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I find it happens when I have too many tabs open in Firefox, that is,
when I'm using too much RAM.... I think. Maybe it's thrashing with
the swap file.

Trying another browser would be another idea as well as shutting down
any other programs that might have something to do with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2015 03:05 PM, Oren wrote:
Had my ISP out this week. Tracing lines, checking nodes and wires back
~5,000 feet down the road. (ADSL)

Told someone HAD changed my "profile", meaning they were pushing to
much data. The in home service tech then had the cable guy out that
figured it all out. For now, things seem fine in the house. Now, I'm
experiencing a strange problem while listening to an online radio
show. It happens only on one URL while listening. I can watch or
listen to other links and not experience the problem.

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

I did a speed test after the service checks, which is better than
before. I was losing ~10% before.

Where or how can I figure this out? Is the site I listen too or
something else?

When a computer starts acting female, time for reboot.
Actually, reboot modem, router and computer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2015 7:56 AM, Uncle Poop Meister wrote:
[...]

Try giving it a rectal exam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 06:17:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 11:38:37 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I find it happens when I have too many tabs open in Firefox, that is,
when I'm using too much RAM.... I think. Maybe it's thrashing with
the swap file.

Trying another browser would be another idea as well as shutting down
any other programs that might have something to do with it.

Micky, I read your other post and will check into your ideas for
solutions. However, I don't really suspect a resource problem. This
machine is very lean. Nothing has changed until after the ISP tech
and ISP cable guy checked things out. No new software or system
changes.

Trader, I forgot I had another browser I try again on Monday when
the talk show is on again.

Thank you both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

That's nothing. I've had it say the same thing 10 or 20 times. It
usually sounds funny.

that happens if you go to www.wife.com Seems to be no way to stop it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:12:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

That's nothing. I've had it say the same thing 10 or 20 times. It
usually sounds funny.

that happens if you go to www.wife.com Seems to be no way to stop it.

I discovered that as long as my wife is talking, she thinks she is
communicating :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2015 11:43 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:12:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

That's nothing. I've had it say the same thing 10 or 20 times. It
usually sounds funny.

that happens if you go to www.wife.com Seems to be no way to stop it.

I discovered that as long as my wife is talking, she thinks she is
communicating :-\

She probably thinks the same thing about men talking... something along
the lines of "I've said it 5 times already, so why doesn't he understand
I want that dohicky to move that way and cover that thing-a-ma-bob so it
won't get wet??"

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:14:52 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I discovered that as long as my wife is talking, she thinks she is
communicating :-\

She probably thinks the same thing about men talking... something along
the lines of "I've said it 5 times already, so why doesn't he understand
I want that dohicky to move that way and cover that thing-a-ma-bob so it
won't get wet??"

The longer my wife talks, the taller the grass gets. Men use logic.
We want the seeds in the lawn to flourish. Drop and make more grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:
Had my ISP out this week. Tracing lines, checking nodes and wires back
~5,000 feet down the road. (ADSL)

Told someone HAD changed my "profile", meaning they were pushing to
much data. The in home service tech then had the cable guy out that
figured it all out. For now, things seem fine in the house. Now, I'm
experiencing a strange problem while listening to an online radio
show. It happens only on one URL while listening. I can watch or
listen to other links and not experience the problem.

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

I did a speed test after the service checks, which is better than
before. I was losing ~10% before.

Where or how can I figure this out? Is the site I listen too or
something else?

Since I think you said it is only happening with one URL, any chance that
you could provide that URL? If so, we could try it and see if the same
thing happens for anyone else here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:57:50 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Since I think you said it is only happening with one URL, any chance that
you could provide that URL? If so, we could try it and see if the same
thing happens for anyone else here.

You can check on Monday. Fox News Radio, John Gibson's talk show.
http://radio.foxnews.com/ John Gibson Radio 12-3PM ET (I get it a 9
AM on the left coast)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

That's nothing. I've had it say the same thing 10 or 20 times. It
usually sounds funny.

that happens if you go to www.wife.com Seems to be no way to stop it.

Go into task manger and shutdown ALL instances of the browser.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 17:30:17 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

The problem on the one URL is hearing "repeating" of sentences.

I hear samples like (pick a word) and it repeats twice or three times.

That's nothing. I've had it say the same thing 10 or 20 times. It
usually sounds funny.

that happens if you go to www.wife.com Seems to be no way to stop it.

Go into task manger and shutdown ALL instances of the browser.

Why. I just closed the tab and didn't need to tape her mouth shut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

that happens if you go to www.wife.com Seems to be no way to stop it.

Install a nag blocker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2015 1:50 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:14:52 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I discovered that as long as my wife is talking, she thinks she is
communicating :-\

She probably thinks the same thing about men talking... something along
the lines of "I've said it 5 times already, so why doesn't he understand
I want that dohicky to move that way and cover that thing-a-ma-bob so it
won't get wet??"

The longer my wife talks, the taller the grass gets. Men use logic.
We want the seeds in the lawn to flourish. Drop and make more grass.

Makes sense to me.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:57:50 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Since I think you said it is only happening with one URL, any chance
that you could provide that URL? If so, we could try it and see if
the same thing happens for anyone else here.

You can check on Monday. Fox News Radio, John Gibson's talk show.
http://radio.foxnews.com/ John Gibson Radio 12-3PM ET (I get it a 9
AM on the left coast)

Ok, if I remember, I'll check on Monday 12-3.

For whatever it's worth, I did just check that link now and clicked on
"Listen Live". It worked for me with no issues. Today I am using a
computer with Windows XP Pro, Google Chrome as the browser, and Comcast
Cable Internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Oren typed:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:57:50 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Since I think you said it is only happening with one URL, any chance
that you could provide that URL? If so, we could try it and see if
the same thing happens for anyone else here.

You can check on Monday. Fox News Radio, John Gibson's talk show.
http://radio.foxnews.com/ John Gibson Radio 12-3PM ET (I get it a 9
AM on the left coast)

Ok, if I remember, I'll check on Monday 12-3.

For whatever it's worth, I did just check that link now and clicked on
"Listen Live". It worked for me with no issues. Today I am using a
computer with Windows XP Pro, Google Chrome as the browser, and
Comcast Cable Internet.

I just tried listening in and it worked fine using the above computer,
browser, etc.

Then I tried it with Internet Explorer but my IE version is too old and it
won't work. That did take me to a page that said that if I am using a
current browser version and still experiencing problems, to check and make
sure I have the latest Adobe Flash Player update plug-in.

My guess is that it's working for you now for whatever reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:32:17 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Oren typed:
[...]

I'm still getting some jitter, but less than before. Not sure why. I
started listening to the earlier show and it was also jittering.

CPU is only at 1, 5, 9% usage. Still have a GB of free RAM (of 4GB).
No real page swaps. I'm beginning to think it is the server used to
farm out the audio. Thanks for checking. I'll try IE later while the
show is still on. Win7 SP1 -- a lean machine, minimum apps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CPU is only at 1, 5, 9% usage. Still have a GB of free RAM (of 4GB).
No real page swaps. I'm beginning to think it is the server used to
farm out the audio. Thanks for checking. I'll try IE later while the
show is still on. Win7 SP1 -- a lean machine, minimum apps.

try this
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

this checks the latency ___within your machine____ not the network

Google various ways to reduce the latency and try them

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:36:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

CPU is only at 1, 5, 9% usage. Still have a GB of free RAM (of 4GB).
No real page swaps. I'm beginning to think it is the server used to
farm out the audio. Thanks for checking. I'll try IE later while the
show is still on. Win7 SP1 -- a lean machine, minimum apps.

try this
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

this checks the latency ___within your machine____ not the network

Google various ways to reduce the latency and try them

Mark,

Thank you. I flushed the DNS cache -- no joy. The tool does not seem
to show latency. The server is up but just jittering on audio. Cleared
all cookies, caches, etc.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/radio.foxnews.com.html

I'm starting think I should remove & install the sound card driver.
Again. Hate to make to many changes at once so I can pin it down.

Appreciate your link and input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

Again. Hate to make to many changes at once so I can pin it down.

That is exactly what I do and bamboozle myself into terminal frustration and
grief.

--
Tekkie