Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Creating a boiler room?

In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose?
2. Does the boiler room and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two, wired together as well.

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses.
Theodore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 12:26:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose?
2. Does the boiler room and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two, wired together as well.

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses.
Theodore.

We don't heat homes with oil fired boilers down South but any boiler room I've ever been in had plenty of outside air coming in to supply combustion air for the boiler. The same goes for large gas fired water heaters in enclosed spaces. Consider a carbon monoxide detector in the occupied space outside the boiler room. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Boiling Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I'm familiar with the minimum venting requirements in the code. Strangely, I just can't find anything on the door rating, or whether smoke/CO detector needed for separate space in such a basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

True, and I am familiar with minimum venting requirements in the code and for my specific boiler. But strangely, I can't find guidance on the door rating or smoke/CO detector question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 2:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:26:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and
fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors
at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose? 2. Does the boiler room
and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of
these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two,
wired together as well.

There are often additional requirements for the ceiling *above* the
furnace/boiler. (presumably oil fired hot water heat?)

In the local hospital, I recall a 2 hour rating being a goal (but that's
probably overkill in a residential setting)

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses. Theodore.

Best to check local code. I have seen such applications with no fire door,
but it is smart to have one. You may also need a CO detector in the boiler
room and possibly the other area too.

Check local codes for the detector requirements. Sometimes, what *seems*
like common sense is actually disallowed. I think the thinking is that
they don't want to have *nuisance* alarms so may discourage use of
detectors in garages, furnace rooms, etc.

[We had originally thought of all the places where fire/smoke/CO
was LIKELY to exist (kitchen, furnace, water heater, garage, etc.)
and discovered that detectors were discouraged in most of these!
So, opted for "heat" detectors, instead]

How are you going to handle
combustion air? If this is a new boiler with outside air intake, that
covers you, otherwise you need a vent in the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 5:51:31 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:26:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose?
2. Does the boiler room and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two, wired together as well.

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses.
Theodore.

Best to check local code. I have seen such applications with no fire
door, but it is smart to have one. You may also need a CO detector in
the boiler room and possibly the other area too. How are you going to
handle combustion air? If this is a new boiler with outside air
intake, that covers you, otherwise you need a vent in the door.

I doubt a fire rated door is required. The only place I've seen
that required is between a garage and the living space. There
are houses with furnaces on the same level as the living space
and I don't recall any special doors there. Typical boiler is
in an unfinished basement, full of all kinds of crap and if
the code can live with that, I suspect it can live with one in
it's own utility room without a special door. If the boiler
uses inside air for combustion, there are ventilation requirements.
Like you say, the only way to know for sure is to look up the
state and/or local code or go ask.