Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Creating a boiler room?

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 12:26:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose?
2. Does the boiler room and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two, wired together as well.

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses.
Theodore.

We don't heat homes with oil fired boilers down South but any boiler room I've ever been in had plenty of outside air coming in to supply combustion air for the boiler. The same goes for large gas fired water heaters in enclosed spaces. Consider a carbon monoxide detector in the occupied space outside the boiler room. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Boiling Monster