Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring a room thermostat to a combi boiler

I have a Ravenheat Whiter Star LS 80 boiler and all bar one of my
radiators have TRVs fitted. I have recently purchased a Horstmann 099A
programmable room thermostat to fit to the system to give me more
control but I'm having trouble understanding how to wire it.

The diagram on the Horstman RT has three terminals COM, NC and NO. The
diagram is laid out as follows: Live - COM - NO (it says in most
cases NO but can be NC?) - boiler, Neutral - boiler. The boiler
instructions are pretty pathetic, and just show 2 wires coming out of a
terminal block and going off to a room stat. No live or neutral marked
on the diagram?

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how to connect this up. Also,
what gauge of wire is best to use.

Thanks in anticipation

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

I have a Ravenheat Whiter Star LS 80 boiler and all bar one of my
radiators have TRVs fitted. I have recently purchased a Horstmann 099A
programmable room thermostat to fit to the system to give me more
control but I'm having trouble understanding how to wire it.

The diagram on the Horstman RT has three terminals COM, NC and NO. The
diagram is laid out as follows: Live - COM - NO (it says in most
cases NO but can be NC?) - boiler, Neutral - boiler. The boiler
instructions are pretty pathetic, and just show 2 wires coming out of a
terminal block and going off to a room stat. No live or neutral marked
on the diagram?

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how to connect this up. Also,
what gauge of wire is best to use.

The stat sounds like it implements a simple changeover switch - when not
calling for heat COMmon is connected to the Normally Closed contact.
When it calls for heat, COM gets switched to the Normally Open contact.

If the boiler simply shows two wires then one is probably a live and the
other a switched live. So you can simply wire these to COM and NO (does
not matter which way round).

(use a multimeter set to its continuity range to check the behaviour of
the stat contacts is as you expect)

If you are re-using a existing cable however beware!

Many older stats had a small heating resistor in them to improve
performance - this required a neutral connection to the stat as well.
Hence you may find you have three wires at the stat position. One of
which is neutral. This wants to be terminated somewhere safely out of
the way (i.e. in a bit of chockie block connector). What you don't want
to end up doing is having the stat connect live to neutral when it
closes or you will end up letting the magic smoke out of something! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that John.

There isn't a stat already fitted so sounds like I can just connect COM
and NO to the two boiler terminals. What gauge wiring would you suggest
I get to connect boiler to stat.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

And if you want to future proof the install a little use some three core
and earth cable. That way you have a spare wire should you need a
neutral in the future!

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:26:08 +0000, John White wrote:

wrote:

Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

Don't forget to get "Part P" permission first :-)

John
John White,
Electrical Contractor

LOL

Wiring in a programmer/roomstat to a combi boiler Nick Lane UK diy 8 October 2nd 04 12:21 AM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Combi Boiler and Room Thermostats Daern's Instant Fortress UK diy 5 May 10th 04 10:23 AM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM
Combi boiler thermostat not working properly bobby UK diy 5 November 27th 03 01:46 PM