bobby

Default Combi boiler thermostat not working properly

I have a Worcester 28i combi boiler with an attached Sunvic TLX thermostat
and things are working ok... but then not really.

The boiler is working fine. No problem.

The thermostat should turn heating on and off to keep room temperature
within a tight range. Mine doesn't. At the current setting the boiler
doesn't start heating until the temperature reached about 17 degrees and it
doesn't switch the boiler off until room temperature has reached about 27
degrees. The result is that I manually use the dial on the thermostat to
turn heating on and off. Less than ideal!

What should I do?

I hesitate to replace with another Sunvic TLX (or equivalent) as I fear the
same results. Somehow believe a digital thermostat would do a better job but
I don't know which are compatible with the Worcester 28i.

Thanks for any comments.

bobby

Can I just add...

The ideal solution would be a radio controlled thermostat as the current
position is not ideal. But this would require the Worcester 28i to be
compatible I suppose.... ? Is it possible?

"bobby" wrote in message
[...]

Marc Jennings

I have the same boiler and recently fitted a Sunvic TLX stat also. I
like yourself found that the swing in temperature between on/off was too
great. I took it back and replaced it with a Drayton Digistat which is
much better the temperature now remains at a constant 22 degrees which I
have it set at after initial warm up and it does not overshoot during
initial the warm up also.

Marc

bobby wrote:

I have a Worcester 28i combi boiler with an attached Sunvic TLX thermostat
and things are working ok... but then not really.

The boiler is working fine. No problem.

The thermostat should turn heating on and off to keep room temperature
within a tight range. Mine doesn't. At the current setting the boiler
doesn't start heating until the temperature reached about 17 degrees and it
doesn't switch the boiler off until room temperature has reached about 27
degrees. The result is that I manually use the dial on the thermostat to
turn heating on and off. Less than ideal!

What should I do?

I hesitate to replace with another Sunvic TLX (or equivalent) as I fear the
same results. Somehow believe a digital thermostat would do a better job but
I don't know which are compatible with the Worcester 28i.

Thanks for any comments.

Christian McArdle

Somehow believe a digital thermostat would do a better job but
I don't know which are compatible with the Worcester 28i.

I'd always use a digital thermostat, never an old mechanical one. They are
compatible with just about any system imaginable capable of using a switched
thermostat (as opposed to proportional/analogue system).

I'd recommend using a programmable thermostat. You can then set your combi
programmer to always on. This is particularly useful if the main programmer
is inaccessible, or installed in an unlighted cupboard, so needs a torch.
They are also useful if you have zoned heating.

Christian.

BillR

bobby wrote:
Can I just add...

The ideal solution would be a radio controlled thermostat as the
current position is not ideal. But this would require the Worcester
28i to be compatible I suppose.... ? Is it possible?

I used a wireless CM67 digital programmable roomstat.
Excellent but not cheap, should work with any boiler.

bobby

Thanks for your comments Bill, Marc and Christian. Very useful.

"bobby" wrote in message
[...]

Hot water problem with my combi boiler Andrew Bainbridge UK diy 1 October 25th 03 11:21 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 05:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 8th 03 12:34 AM
Making a ruin into something habitable. Liz UK diy 140 August 12th 03 01:03 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 09:52 PM