Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Creating a boiler room?

On 10/8/2015 2:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:26:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and
fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors
at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose? 2. Does the boiler room
and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of
these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two,
wired together as well.

There are often additional requirements for the ceiling *above* the
furnace/boiler. (presumably oil fired hot water heat?)

In the local hospital, I recall a 2 hour rating being a goal (but that's
probably overkill in a residential setting)

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses. Theodore.

Best to check local code. I have seen such applications with no fire door,
but it is smart to have one. You may also need a CO detector in the boiler
room and possibly the other area too.

Check local codes for the detector requirements. Sometimes, what *seems*
like common sense is actually disallowed. I think the thinking is that
they don't want to have *nuisance* alarms so may discourage use of
detectors in garages, furnace rooms, etc.

[We had originally thought of all the places where fire/smoke/CO
was LIKELY to exist (kitchen, furnace, water heater, garage, etc.)
and discovered that detectors were discouraged in most of these!
So, opted for "heat" detectors, instead]

How are you going to handle
combustion air? If this is a new boiler with outside air intake, that
covers you, otherwise you need a vent in the door.