Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Creating a boiler room?

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 5:51:31 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:26:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose?
2. Does the boiler room and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two, wired together as well.

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses.
Theodore.

Best to check local code. I have seen such applications with no fire
door, but it is smart to have one. You may also need a CO detector in
the boiler room and possibly the other area too. How are you going to
handle combustion air? If this is a new boiler with outside air
intake, that covers you, otherwise you need a vent in the door.

I doubt a fire rated door is required. The only place I've seen
that required is between a garage and the living space. There
are houses with furnaces on the same level as the living space
and I don't recall any special doors there. Typical boiler is
in an unfinished basement, full of all kinds of crap and if
the code can live with that, I suspect it can live with one in
it's own utility room without a special door. If the boiler
uses inside air for combustion, there are ventilation requirements.
Like you say, the only way to know for sure is to look up the
state and/or local code or go ask.