Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler location, in airing room near stairway?

Go-er or non-starter?

Just a quick opinion, as it affects planning and I don't want to drag the
gas fitter round just yet, until I have a sensible proposal (plus he's on
holiday).

The exact proposal is:

=========
I want to create a 0.8 x 2m enclosed cupboard, wood framed dry-wall
construction against 2 other brick walls, probably with a heavy
wooden "pocket" sliding door, not necessarily fire rated, though it could
be...

The cupboard will be to the side of the bottom of the stairs in a 2 storey
bungalow.

Cupboard will contain a heatbank, and a condensing gas system boiler over
the heatbank.

Heatbank is 0.7m dia and 1.4m high. Boiler *may* be a Viessmann Vitodens 100
system boiler (natural gas). There is sufficient vertical clearance for
this, according the the Viessmann datasheet (room is 2.4m high).

The rest of the room will contain a small de-humidifer and cloths racks,
using the heat from the boiler and heatbank to aid drying.

Boiler flue upwards through roof.
========

So, the two issues appear to be:

1) (The main question) Fire risk. Is there any consideration regarding
boiler siting?

The clothes area will be screened off with some sort of slatted door to
prevent any possibility of clothing piling up over the heatbank pumps etc
and the boiler above.

2) Ambient heat affecting boiler (I'm guessing it's going to hit around
40C). This is probably a question for Viessmann's tech helpline, but sadly
I missed them today. General opinions welcome as to whether this is a
crassly stupid idea or not...

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Heatbank is 0.7m dia and 1.4m high.

Sorry, 0.7 x 1.2m high. So 200mm of space between top of heatbank and
bottom of boiler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:20:38 +0100, Tim S wrote:

[...]

Download the boiler manual and read it.
Very likely you will be OK.
At worst you may need some mandatory ventilation to the cupboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett coughed up some electrons that declared:

Download the boiler manual and read it.

Got it

Very likely you will be OK.
At worst you may need some mandatory ventilation to the cupboard.

OK, so nothing fundamental about boilers near stairways then...

I've been studying Part L and IEE Regs, haven't had time to get my head
around most of the other Approved Docs let alone gas regs, and I've decided
to stay away from gas and building-structure related things. Happy enough
to do my own wet plumbing and electrics (for now).

I'll check with Viessmann's techline about the ambient temperature.

Ventilation won't be a problem to arrange if required.

Gas fitter can have the last word of course, but it won't half bugger things
up if he says "no".

Many thanks Ed

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler location, in airing room near stairway?I'd like to

I'd like to follow up, after a call to Viessmann's tech dept.

Note, one should not take this response as binding as the tech bloke can not
see my proposed site, so the advice is in the most general terms only.

Note for the archive: best to refer to a competent person in any specific
case...

Anyway, that said... The general response was that they could see no issue
regarding the ambient temperature as long as it wasn't excessive. I
mentioned 40C, which they didn't see as a major problem. They've been aware
of installations in airing cupboards without problems.

The bloke did raise a caution about prolonged excessive humidity, mostly
with respect to the control PCBs (he mentioned steam). General opinion,
probably OK for a drying cupboard with a dehumidifier but best referred to
the installer when they see the site for final opinion.

Good enough for me at this stage, I'll ask the fitter round for his thoughts
and a quote. I've picked a local bloke from the Viessmann approved list so
hopefully he'll understand their products!

Cheers

Tim

Boiler location Alan UK diy 2 March 13th 07 12:29 AM
Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location [email protected] UK diy 7 June 9th 05 10:44 PM
Boiler location John UK diy 3 February 4th 05 07:38 PM
Boiler location John UK diy 49 January 24th 05 07:46 PM
Airing cupboard in B/room Arthur UK diy 6 November 6th 04 12:29 AM