John

Default Boiler location

Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house. Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't disturb
the appearance of the room.

--

Regards

John

brugnospamsia

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be
fitted in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the
house. Less hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework
wouldn't disturb the appearance of the room.

Just heard of a London flat with that arrangement .. reminds me of an "eco
house" of the 70s that had an Fiat 124 engined micro-CHP unit in an
outhouse.

I'm in a similar dilemna - kitchen and bathroom both about 8' x 6' and the
bathroom ceiling slopes to under head hight on one side ...

Mike

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be

fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house.

Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't disturb
the appearance of the room.

Such boiler are available. Come in highly insulated outside cabinets that
mount on the wall.

IMM

"John" wrote in message

Why do builders assume that people
want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines upstairs

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be

fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house.

Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't disturb
the appearance of the room.

You can always build a small highly insulated brick cupboard at the rear of
the house. Pretty common in London.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do
the washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to
the bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines
upstairs

Ah. So that's where your tiny baths come from - to leave room for the
washing machine, etc.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Alex

all to do with cost,sevices kept to minium as they will be in the kitchen
anyway.houses are not yet built with the owner in mind but the developers
pocket

IMM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
IMM wrote:
Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do
the washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to
the bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines
upstairs

Ah.

snip drivel

Not worth reading

Mike

"IMM" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people
want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too".

Oh come on - you've been watching too many Monty Pythons. No Scandanavian
actually talks like that. They all have better English than us English.

IMM

"Mike" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in

the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be

fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house.

Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't

disturb
the appearance of the room.

Such boiler are available. Come in highly insulated outside cabinets that
mount on the wall.

Special commercial units.

Toby Sleigh

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be
fitted in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the
house.

A colleague of mine at work has recently bought a house in Ireland on a
newly built estate, not yet fully populated. All the houses there have their
boilers in a metal cabinet on the outside of the house.
What a good idea we agreed.

A couple of weeks ago someone nicked 22 boilers from the estate.

Toby

.

In article , IMM
writes

"John" wrote in message

Why do builders assume that people
want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines upstairs

No they don't, they have them in their utility rooms, just like us.
--
..
Markus Splenius

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:53:01 +0000, "."
wrote:

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines upstairs

No they don't, they have them in their utility rooms, just like us.

Only occasionally in Finland do they have utility rooms. Most of the
time the washing machine is in the bathroom. It's true that they think
the concept of getting your laundry anywhere near the kitchen is
disgusting.

More often than not there is no upstairs in a scandinavian house.
"Upstairs" is something designed for countries that have too many
people for the amount of space available! :-)

M.

Mike

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in

the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be

fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house.

Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't

disturb
the appearance of the room.

Such boiler are available. Come in highly insulated outside cabinets

that
mount on the wall.

Special commercial units.

Nope. Grant do options on most of their oil boilers like this.

Bob Mannix

"Mike" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler

in
the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could

be
fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the

house.
Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't

disturb
the appearance of the room.

Such boiler are available. Come in highly insulated outside cabinets

that
mount on the wall.

Special commercial units.

Nope. Grant do options on most of their oil boilers like this.

Indeed, there was one outside a cottage we rented recently. It was floor
mounted (and oil fired) and was about 1m high and 600mm square. Can't
remember the make but, as combi's go, not bad at all (apart from [duck] slow
bath fill which was quite acceptable as it was the sort of building that
didn't actually have space for tanks). A little noisy on a quiet evening
too. I can't say the cabinet appeared to be "highly insulated" as it didn't!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Andy Hall

wrote:

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines upstairs

No they don't, they have them in their utility rooms, just like us.

Only occasionally in Finland do they have utility rooms. Most of the
time the washing machine is in the bathroom. It's true that they think
the concept of getting your laundry anywhere near the kitchen is
disgusting.

Finland isn't in Scandinavia, and most Finns are mildly insulted by
the suggestion. The language is totally different to the other Nordic
languages, although there is a small Swedish speaking population
(there is a dual language policy), and generally Finns learn Swedish
and English in school.

The area where the utility room might be is often used as a sauna.

I've seen utility rooms with washing machines or in bathrooms in most
countries outside the UK.

The bigger disgust factor is the notion of having carpet in the
bathroom.

More often than not there is no upstairs in a scandinavian house.
"Upstairs" is something designed for countries that have too many
people for the amount of space available! :-)

That's a generalisation which very much depends on location. Away
from the cities it tends to happen, but if you take areas like greater
Stockholm, there are lots of houses with two storeys plus cellar
(washer goes there) and town houses where there is a separate communal
building with space to put the washer for each house. It's the same
issue that land is expensive, although problems are solved in
different ways.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Christian McArdle

The bigger disgust factor is the notion of having carpet in the
bathroom.

But that isn't limited to non-British people. Most people here are disgusted
by bathroom carpets.

However, the European idea of having laundry stuff in the bathroom doesn't
appeal. I hate having ugly laundry appliances in there, coupled with the
excessive noise close to bedrooms when running them at night. The bathroom
is a place of relaxation, not industrial looking appliances. A separate
utility room is best, followed by the kitchen, IMO.

Christian.

IMM

"Mike" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler

in
the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could

be
fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the

house.
Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't

disturb
the appearance of the room.

Such boiler are available. Come in highly insulated outside cabinets

that
mount on the wall.

Special commercial units.

Nope. Grant do options on most of their oil boilers like this.

There are special commercial gas unit that can go outside. Many domestic
oil boilers, as you have stated, can go outside.

IMM

"." wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"John" wrote in message

Why do builders assume that people
want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do

the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines

upstairs

No they don't, they have them in their utility rooms, just like us.

But not in the kitchen. It was common to have the washing machine in a
cupboard in the bathroom.

IMM

wrote:

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do

the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines

upstairs

No they don't, they have them in their utility rooms, just like us.

Only occasionally in Finland do they have utility rooms. Most of the
time the washing machine is in the bathroom. It's true that they think
the concept of getting your laundry anywhere near the kitchen is
disgusting.

More often than not there is no upstairs in a scandinavian house.
"Upstairs" is something designed for countries that have too many
people for the amount of space available! :-)

Or in countries where the land is in the hands of a few people.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:29:32 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

The bigger disgust factor is the notion of having carpet in the
bathroom.

But that isn't limited to non-British people. Most people here are disgusted
by bathroom carpets.

However, the European idea of having laundry stuff in the bathroom doesn't
appeal. I hate having ugly laundry appliances in there, coupled with the
excessive noise close to bedrooms when running them at night. The bathroom
is a place of relaxation, not industrial looking appliances. A separate
utility room is best, followed by the kitchen, IMO.

Christian.

I've seen this mostly in Holland and Germany, where the room is a
shower plus the domestic appliances - so not a relaxation place
anyway. Then there may be a separate bathroom with bath etc. as a
relaxation place. The Finns often have that as a sauna, though, some
even having babies there. I didn't ask whether they make them there
as well, but I suspect so. :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave

Andy Hall wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:05:06 +0000, Markus Splenius

.... snipped
The bigger disgust factor is the notion of having carpet in the
bathroom.

.... snipped

So do they use tiles instead? What about cold feet?

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Owain

"IMM" wrote
| You can always build a small highly insulated brick cupboard at the
| rear of the house. Pretty common in London.

Where it is called the au pair's room.

Owain

Markus Splenius

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:07:13 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Finland isn't in Scandinavia, and most Finns are mildly insulted by
the suggestion. The language is totally different to the other Nordic
languages, although there is a small Swedish speaking population
(there is a dual language policy), and generally Finns learn Swedish
and English in school.

Yes - you are right, however the term Scandinavia is used loosely by
English speaking people to include Finland too. Even some Finns use it
and are surprised when you tell them that Finland doesn't technically
count as Scandinavia. I have always preferred the term "Fennoscandia"
but noone then understands what I am talking about.

There is a legal requirement for Swedish to be taught in Finnish
schools (a much resented requirement) and nearly all schools teach
English too.

Markus Splenius

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:09:22 +0000, Dave
wrote:

So do they use tiles instead? What about cold feet?

They are big fans of the "wet room" concept. I.e. there is a drain in
the floor of the bathroom. The whole room is a shower cubicle - often
there is no curtain to separate shower from toilet, sauna etc.

The floors always seemed quite warm to me, even when -25 celcius
outside.

M.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:05:06 +0000, Markus Splenius

... snipped
The bigger disgust factor is the notion of having carpet in the
bathroom.

... snipped

So do they use tiles instead? What about cold feet?

Not a problem.

If the tiles are layed on a wooden floor, then they acquire the
temperature of the room anyway.

It's also quite common to have underfloor heating in the bathroom
anyway.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

wrote:

Finland isn't in Scandinavia, and most Finns are mildly insulted by
the suggestion. The language is totally different to the other Nordic
languages, although there is a small Swedish speaking population
(there is a dual language policy), and generally Finns learn Swedish
and English in school.

Yes - you are right, however the term Scandinavia is used loosely by
English speaking people to include Finland too. Even some Finns use it
and are surprised when you tell them that Finland doesn't technically
count as Scandinavia. I have always preferred the term "Fennoscandia"
but noone then understands what I am talking about.

There is a legal requirement for Swedish to be taught in Finnish
schools (a much resented requirement) and nearly all schools teach
English too.

I usually use the term "Nordic countries" or "Nordic Area" and then
everybody is happy.

You can **** off Swedes by referring to Sweden as a Baltic State
though :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

Then I discovered that although a good idea in theory, they
are a terrible idea in practice. All the stuff you keep in your
bathroom gets damp, much more so than in a bathroom with a shower
cubicle, the floor is wet all the time, so every time you go in there,
you get your feet wet, and you get damp talcum powder footprints
everywhere.

I agree. Horrible things. You have to take your shoes off to go to the
toilet. Then dry your feet afterwards. The alternative is to make the floor
look like Salisbury plain after two weeks of rain and few a Challenger
tanks.

Christian.

Ian Middleton

"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be
fitted in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the
house. Less hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework
wouldn't disturb the appearance of the room.

When going round looking at new houses couple of years ago saw one or two
new builds where the boiler was located on the wall in the dining room
adjecent to the kitche, which I thought was particularly naff as it made
quite a racket and looked really odd a big cupboard thing hanging on the
wall. Obviously placed there as the kitchens were so bloomin small that
loosing a cupboard for a boiler would have meant a loss of 25% (or even 33%)
of the cupboards in the kitchen.

Christian McArdle

But that isn't limited to non-British people. Most people here are
disgusted by bathroom carpets.

Why?

Because they get ****ed on and soaked from the bath and go mouldy and manky
and stink.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
But that isn't limited to non-British people. Most people here are
disgusted by bathroom carpets.

Why?

Because they get ****ed on and soaked from the bath and go mouldy and

manky
and stink.

And full of germs. Some loonies even have carpets on the toilet seats.
Amazing! Maybe they want to walk on the toilet. They will fall off.

Christian McArdle wrote:
But that isn't limited to non-British people. Most people here are
disgusted by bathroom carpets.

Why?

Because they get ****ed on and soaked from the bath and go mouldy and

manky
and stink.

Christian.

Not in my experience, and that's with a young family. They've been
taught to **** in the toilet.

.

In article , Ian Middleton
writes
"John" wrote in message
Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be
fitted in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the
house. Less hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework
wouldn't disturb the appearance of the room.

When going round looking at new houses couple of years ago saw one or two
new builds where the boiler was located on the wall in the dining room
adjecent to the kitche, which I thought was particularly naff as it made
quite a racket and looked really odd a big cupboard thing hanging on the
wall. Obviously placed there as the kitchens were so bloomin small that
loosing a cupboard for a boiler would have meant a loss of 25% (or even 33%)
of the cupboards in the kitchen.

There's a couple of new houses going up next to me and the boilers are
being put in a small loft area above the utility rooms, its quite neat
how they have created this area, fully boarded, insulated and pull down
ladder all installed

--
..

Christian McArdle wrote:
Not in my experience, and that's with a young family. They've been
taught to **** in the toilet.

Tests have shown that even the most fastidiuous urinator sprays over

a large
area. The urine spray atomises and is actually invisible at the

edges. It's
still lying on your manky carpet, no matter how good a shot you are.

Christian.

Not sure what the ladies will think to that.

It's also lying on your tiles, lino, or whatever.
I've still never had a bathroom carpet smell or go mouldy.

MBQ

fred

In article ,
Christian McArdle writes
Not in my experience, and that's with a young family. They've been
taught to **** in the toilet.

Tests have shown that even the most fastidiuous urinator sprays over a large
area. The urine spray atomises and is actually invisible at the edges. It's
still lying on your manky carpet, no matter how good a shot you are.

Strange, I got the deluxe adjustable model (well worth the extra) and while
it can be adjusted to a fine rose it is normally set to a well controlled jet ;-)
--
fred

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Huge wrote:
The bigger disgust factor is the notion of having carpet in the
bathroom.

.... snipped

So do they use tiles instead? What about cold feet?

Cold and slippery.

I guess you have to have underfloor heating.

We have carpet in our bathrooms.

Yes. And I'd guess you and yours are careful enough to use the toilet
rather than the floor.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
IMM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Christian McArdle wrote:
Not in my experience, and that's with a young family. They've been
taught to **** in the toilet.

Tests have shown that even the most fastidiuous urinator sprays over

a large
area. The urine spray atomises and is actually invisible at the

edges. It's
still lying on your manky carpet, no matter how good a shot you are.

Christian.

Not sure what the ladies will think to that.

It's also lying on your tiles, lino, or whatever.
I've still never had a bathroom carpet smell or go mouldy.

.....mmmm, but four people mysteriously died.

Markus Splenius

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:38:04 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"IMM" wrote
| You can always build a small highly insulated brick cupboard at the
| rear of the house. Pretty common in London.

Now if I could keep an au pair in a small insulated brick cupboard, I
would get one tomorrow!! :-)

M.

Brian Sharrock

"Owain" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote
| You can always build a small highly insulated brick cupboard at the
| rear of the house. Pretty common in London.

Where it is called the au pair's room.

Or, in a 1930's style house it's called the
(former) "outside toilet".
My boiler sits within the 'outside toilet',
It is built out from the rear of the house,
Kitchen on other side of wall. Heat
off the casing nicely heats the tools that
I store there too.

--

Brian

IMM wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Christian McArdle wrote:
Not in my experience, and that's with a young family. They've

been
taught to **** in the toilet.

Tests have shown that even the most fastidiuous urinator sprays

over
a large
area. The urine spray atomises and is actually invisible at the

edges. It's
still lying on your manky carpet, no matter how good a shot you

are.

Christian.

Not sure what the ladies will think to that.

It's also lying on your tiles, lino, or whatever.
I've still never had a bathroom carpet smell or go mouldy.

....mmmm, but four people mysteriously died.

So that's what the smell is!