Markus Splenius

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:07:13 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Finland isn't in Scandinavia, and most Finns are mildly insulted by
the suggestion. The language is totally different to the other Nordic
languages, although there is a small Swedish speaking population
(there is a dual language policy), and generally Finns learn Swedish
and English in school.

Yes - you are right, however the term Scandinavia is used loosely by
English speaking people to include Finland too. Even some Finns use it
and are surprised when you tell them that Finland doesn't technically
count as Scandinavia. I have always preferred the term "Fennoscandia"
but noone then understands what I am talking about.

There is a legal requirement for Swedish to be taught in Finnish
schools (a much resented requirement) and nearly all schools teach
English too.