Christian McArdle

It's also lying on your tiles, lino, or whatever.
I've still never had a bathroom carpet smell or go mouldy.

The difference is that the tiles, lino, or whatever can be regularly cleaned
and don't form a cosy warm damp substrate for the germs to fester.

Christian.

Mark

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:17:08 GMT, "John" wrote:

Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house. Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't disturb
the appearance of the room.

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Markus Splenius

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:10:51 +0000, Mark
wrote:

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Hmm, I wonder how I would do that with my house since my garage is 1/3
of the way down the garden. There are already overhead cables from the
house to the garage to feed the lights and the "strimmer socket".
Could I have overhead pipes too to feed my first floor radiators and
bathroom?! :-))))

Andy Hall

wrote:

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Hmm, I wonder how I would do that with my house since my garage is 1/3
of the way down the garden. There are already overhead cables from the
house to the garage to feed the lights and the "strimmer socket".
Could I have overhead pipes too to feed my first floor radiators and
bathroom?! :-))))

Erich Honnecker did that in the former DDR.

In East Berlin they had a ridiculous system of blue and red pipes
snaking around the streets on gantries and hooked up to central heat
stations. One small problem. It never worked because the pipes
weren't insulated properly and all the heat was lost over quite short
distances.

There's no reason in principle not to have a boiler remote from the
place being heated as long as you do insulate the pipes. I've done
this to provide heat to my workshop quite successfully using an
underground duct and well insulated pipes running through it with heat
provided via a heat exchanger from the main house system.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike

"Markus Splenius" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:38:04 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"IMM" wrote
| You can always build a small highly insulated brick cupboard at the
| rear of the house. Pretty common in London.

Now if I could keep an au pair in a small insulated brick cupboard, I
would get one tomorrow!! :-)

Are you sure it would be the au pair in the cupboard :-)

Mike

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:17:08 GMT, "John" wrote:

Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be

fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house.

Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't disturb
the appearance of the room.

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Agree this is best place for the boiler. But do use 28mm or even larger
pipe and insulate it to death.

Mark

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:45:05 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:17:08 GMT, "John" wrote:

Why do builders assume that people want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

I would welcome the idea of an ugly but reliable boiler that could be

fitted
in a cupboard (like a big meter cupboard) on the outside of the house.

Less
hassle when replacement is needed as changes to pipework wouldn't disturb
the appearance of the room.

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Agree this is best place for the boiler. But do use 28mm or even larger
pipe and insulate it to death.

28mm pipe! I think that might be over the top in my case since the
garage is attached to the house :-)

I agree about the insulation though.

Mark

Googolplex

IMM wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Why do builders assume that people
want the central heating boiler in the
kitchen?

Because they have no brains. The Scandinavians are shocked that we do the
washing in the kitchen. They say "do you also take the dishes up to the
bathroom to wash them their too". They have the washing machines upstairs

It's unusual to see a washing machine in an Australian kitchen too,
though sometimes they are in a utility room nearby. But it's often the
case that there's a combined bathroom/utility room somewhere containing
bog/shower/bath/sink/washing machine/utility sink/tumble dryer.

And their utility sinks have a large hole in the top of the metal to

a) accept the hose from the washing machine
b) act as an overflow

as it feeds back to the waste trap.
Googolplex

wrote:

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Hmm, I wonder how I would do that with my house since my garage is 1/3
of the way down the garden. There are already overhead cables from the
house to the garage to feed the lights and the "strimmer socket".
Could I have overhead pipes too to feed my first floor radiators and
bathroom?! :-))))

Erich Honnecker did that in the former DDR.

In East Berlin they had a ridiculous system of blue and red pipes
snaking around the streets on gantries and hooked up to central heat
stations. One small problem. It never worked because the pipes
weren't insulated properly and all the heat was lost over quite short
distances.

The pipes are still there...
Mike

"Mark" wrote in message

Our boiler (and washing machine/dryer) are going in the garage.

Mark

Agree this is best place for the boiler. But do use 28mm or even larger
pipe and insulate it to death.

28mm pipe! I think that might be over the top in my case since the
garage is attached to the house :-)

I agree about the insulation though.

Unfortunately I didn't think 28mm pipe was needed either as the calculations
on the Copper Development Association website showed 22mm was okay, albeit
marginally. Unfortunately once installed it was quite obviously not okay
and had to be replaced with 28mm. As you have short runs you may find 28mm
helps the pump and system run quieter so may be worth the investment anyway.