Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make LED lights for a Stove Hood?

Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of
nightlight. But I dont want an incandescent bulb left on all the time.
(due to electric costs). I put a CFL in there and it did not last long.
Even though the heat from the gas rance is quite a bit lower, I suppose
it still heats up the bulb, and causes premature failure. I know they
dont make LED lights for ovens, and probably never will. But for a hood,
is there one made that can handle "some" heat?

Otherwise I guess I just have to put an incandescent in there and
install another fixture on the wall or ceiling for a night light, and
only use the hood light when I'm cooking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:06:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of
nightlight.

I have been using an LED in our hood for about 2 yrs...boiling pasta, beer brats, no problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 20:04:12 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:06:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of
nightlight.

I have been using an LED in our hood for about 2 yrs...boiling pasta, beer brats, no problems.

Then I guess I should be ok with it. I know the hoods dont get severely
hot, but there is still heat there, as well as crud.

I do wonder what they will eventually make for oven lights. It appears
that incandescent bubs are all we have. Even those I have wondered how
they keep the solder from melting where the glass bulb is connected to
the base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:06:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of
nightlight. But I dont want an incandescent bulb left on all the time.
(due to electric costs). I put a CFL in there and it did not last long.
Even though the heat from the gas rance is quite a bit lower, I suppose
it still heats up the bulb, and causes premature failure. I know they
dont make LED lights for ovens, and probably never will. But for a hood,
is there one made that can handle "some" heat?

Otherwise I guess I just have to put an incandescent in there and
install another fixture on the wall or ceiling for a night light, and
only use the hood light when I'm cooking.

A CFL or LED isn't going to last in a range hood because of the solid state components. The 40w incandescent appliance bulb is designed to tolerate extreme temperatures from an oven to refrigerator freezer. The CFL has an electronic switching ballast that needs to be cooled. Some CFL's aren't even rated for base up operation and the LED bulbs need more cooling dependent on how bright they are. Perhaps there are CFL and LED lamps that can tolerate high temperatures but I haven't seen any for consumer use. My range hood at home has two 40w appliance bulbs installed and has a nightlight setting that cuts the brightness in half. CFL lamps are not recommended for use in enclosed recessed fixtures and the higher the ambient temperature an LED bulb is exposed to, the shorter its lifespan. ^_^

http://www.theledlight.com/about-led-light-bulbs.html

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...sources/faqs/#

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 10:04:21 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:06:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of
nightlight.

I have been using an LED in our hood for about 2 yrs...boiling pasta, beer brats, no problems.

I suppose it depends on the design of your hood and stove. The range hood over my stove at home would kill LED bulbs due to the heat from the gas burners and oven. Is your stove gas, electric or induction? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Stove Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

The heat from cooking added to the heat from the LED electronics bulb will probably shorten the bulb life somewhat. But unless you have a very strange cooking arrangement, the temperatures around the bulb aren't going to get all that hot for all that long. And, if the bulb is not on all that much, you probably won't notice the shortened life from maybe 24,000 hours down to maybe 5000 hours. Live it up and try it, 40W and 60W LED bulbs are down to $1.97 at our local Menards and Home Depot stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2015 11:17 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

A CFL or LED isn't going to last in a range hood because of the solid state
components. The 40w incandescent appliance bulb is designed to tolerate
extreme temperatures from an oven to refrigerator freezer. The CFL has an
electronic switching ballast that needs to be cooled. Some CFL's aren't
evenrated for base up operation and the LED bulbs need more cooling
dependent on how bright they are. Perhaps there are CFL and LED lamps
that can tolerate high temperatures but I haven't seen any for consumer
use. My range hood at home has two 40w appliance bulbs installed and has
a nightlight setting that cuts the brightness in half. CFL lamps are not
recommended for use in enclosed recessed fixtures and the higher the
ambient temperature an LED bulb is exposed to, the shorter its lifespan.
^_^

I put a CFL in my range hood (the incandescent was making the metal
enclosure too hot) several years ago and have had no problems.

--
84 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions."
[Phyllis Schlafly]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 12:09:40 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

What kind of stove do you have? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2015 12:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[spin]

I put a CFL in my range hood (the incandescent was making the metal
enclosure too hot) several years ago and have had no problems.

What kind of stove do you have? o_O

Electric, normal coil elements.

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

--
84 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions."
[Phyllis Schlafly]

What is best exterior vent for stove top hood? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 5th 12 11:36 PM
cleaning stove extractor fan hood someone UK diy 29 April 17th 09 12:44 PM
Stove hood microwave fan vent Buerste Home Repair 6 February 16th 09 05:50 PM
Stove Hood Vent Odor Art Home Repair 1 October 22nd 05 05:49 PM
Stove Hood Without Outside Vent? Rob Gray Home Repair 6 December 24th 04 02:10 PM