Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make LED lights for a Stove Hood?

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 12:09:40 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/01/2015 11:17 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

A CFL or LED isn't going to last in a range hood because of the solid state
components. The 40w incandescent appliance bulb is designed to tolerate
extreme temperatures from an oven to refrigerator freezer. The CFL has an
electronic switching ballast that needs to be cooled. Some CFL's aren't
evenrated for base up operation and the LED bulbs need more cooling
dependent on how bright they are . Perhaps there are CFL and LED lamps
that can tolerate high temperatures but I haven't seen any for consumer
use. My range hood at home has two 40w appliance bulbs installed and has
a nightlight setting that cuts the brightness in half. CFL lamps are not
recommended for use in enclosed recessed fixtures and the higher the
ambient temperature an LED bulb is exposed to, the shorter its lifespan.
^_^

I put a CFL in my range hood (the incandescent was making the metal
enclosure too hot) several years ago and have had no problems.

--
84 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions."
[Phyllis Schlafly]

What kind of stove do you have? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster