Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cleaning stove extractor fan hood

When needs must I remove my extractor fan front and replace the filter and
throw it away. Everything is gummed up, so I scrub as best I can before
attaching the new filter with masking tape.

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood? This is in a line with my kitchen cupboards
which are also slightly sticky. I've tried everything, like borax, ammonia,
and soda, but nothing cuts the sticky grease on the extractor hood. I've
even tried sticky stuff remover, but there's not enough in a small bottle to
use on an approx. 2' x 2' surface.

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a kitchen
cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas stove?
Nothing seems to shift it.

I can take the extractor hood off, but I still can't clean it.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

Har-har, very funny. Anybody else with a more useful answer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

someone wrote:
[...]

You could try this:

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/productdetail.asp?productCode=CD513

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone coughed up some electrons that declared:

Angle grinder

Har-har, very funny. Anybody else with a more useful answer?

Yes - if it comes off, and you have a dishwasher, try that, with a double
dose of powder on the hottest setting.

Worked for me.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
someone coughed up some electrons that declared:

Angle grinder

Har-har, very funny. Anybody else with a more useful answer?

Yes - if it comes off, and you have a dishwasher, try that, with a double
dose of powder on the hottest setting.

Worked for me.

Erm, I don't have a dishwasher. But - if I were to buy some dishwasher
whatever powder, I wonder if that would work? You could have a point there.
I will investigate dishwasher powders as a cleaner. Thank you.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
someone coughed up some electrons that declared:

Angle grinder

Har-har, very funny. Anybody else with a more useful answer?

Yes - if it comes off, and you have a dishwasher, try that, with a double
dose of powder on the hottest setting.

Worked for me.

Erm, I don't have a dishwasher.

At least I said "if" rather than glibly assuming ;-

But - if I were to buy some dishwasher
whatever powder, I wonder if that would work? You could have a point
there.
I will investigate dishwasher powders as a cleaner. Thank you.

someone

Well, in that case, I might be tempted to try washing powder in boiling, or
at least fairly hot water in whatever is big enough to hold the part.
Washing powder is surprisingly effective at shifting some things.

If it's too big for a sink or bucket, then I guess it would have to be the
bath and hot tap water and loads of powder. Soak, then take a brush and
give it a scrub, maybe soak some more.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the link, I've filed it. It's a bit expensive, but if nothing
else works, I'll go there. Good luck with your thyroid website, it's useful
to hear about.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

The Angle Grinder answer is a tradition around here :-)

Borax, ammonia, and soda are by & large a waste of time, you just need a
decent hard surface cleaner, a microfibre cloth & some hot water.

Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Degreaser isn't bad for a domestic product.
Better are available from janitorial suppliers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"someone" wrote in message
When needs must I remove my extractor fan front and replace the filter and
throw it away. Everything is gummed up, so I scrub as best I can before
attaching the new filter with masking tape.

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood? This is in a line with my kitchen cupboards
which are also slightly sticky. I've tried everything, like borax,
ammonia, and soda, but nothing cuts the sticky grease on the extractor
hood. I've even tried sticky stuff remover, but there's not enough in a
small bottle to use on an approx. 2' x 2' surface.

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a
kitchen cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas
stove? Nothing seems to shift it.

I can take the extractor hood off, but I still can't clean it.

someone

This stuff will do it.

http://www.astonishcleaners.com/prod...aner-500g/427/

I got some in poundland. It works .

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

"someone" wrote in message
When needs must I remove my extractor fan front and replace the filter and
throw it away. Everything is gummed up, so I scrub as best I can before
attaching the new filter with masking tape.

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood? This is in a line with my kitchen cupboards
which are also slightly sticky. I've tried everything, like borax,
ammonia, and soda, but nothing cuts the sticky grease on the extractor
hood. I've even tried sticky stuff remover, but there's not enough in a
small bottle to use on an approx. 2' x 2' surface.

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a
kitchen cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas
stove? Nothing seems to shift it.

I can take the extractor hood off, but I still can't clean it.

someone

Well I have had the same problem for 14 years until today. While in Homebase
I saw a product called HG Grease away. It is a 0.5l bottle and cost £2-99.
After trying alcohol, mild acids, bathroom cleaner and a list like your own
this was the 1st product for me that did as it says.
I am genuinely amazed at its performance for cleaning the plastic fan
housing (we do not use a carbon filter, only an alloy mesh then straight
into the fan and out the ducting.). You spray it on, way a few seconds then
wipe off.

See http://uk.hg.eu/wizard-shop/index/id/2811/productId/459 for
manufacturers web site.

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gio" wrote in message ...

"someone" wrote in message
[...]

What are you using - cheap cleaning products? I find that a good product
like MrMuscle - even a good washing up liquid (neat) has sufficient
de-greasing power for a domestic kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , someone
writes

"Toby" wrote in message
. ..
someone wrote:
[...]

two angle grinders ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

Sorry!

How about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGooQ8yYC0c
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
someone wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

well, technically, it got imported by those of us in UKRM and adopted

Borax, ammonia, and soda are by & large a waste of time, you just need a
decent hard surface cleaner, a microfibre cloth & some hot water.

Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Degreaser isn't bad for a domestic product.
Better are available from janitorial suppliers.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a kitchen
cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas stove?
Nothing seems to shift it.

One of the best things I've found for that stuff is Tesco cleaning wipes
+ elbow grease. If you're really serious then oven cleaners/hydroxide
will shift it but can damage the finish on surfaces.

However the Tesco wipes are very good at degreasing. Another good option
is the "Mr Muscle" degreaser sold for use in commercial kitchens. It's
not sold in supermarkets but you can get it from Cash & Carry stores
such as CostCo, Bookers or Makro.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Toby
writes
someone wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

doesn't anyone have an amusing youtube vid of an exploding oven ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Mar, 22:40, "someone" wrote:
[...]

What works best for us was Mr Muscle professional kitchen cleaner,
when that finished we use Flash professional kitchen cleaner which is
just as good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:
When needs must I remove my extractor fan front and replace the filter and
throw it away. Everything is gummed up, so I scrub as best I can before
attaching the new filter with masking tape.

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood? This is in a line with my kitchen cupboards
which are also slightly sticky. I've tried everything, like borax, ammonia,
and soda, but nothing cuts the sticky grease on the extractor hood. I've
even tried sticky stuff remover, but there's not enough in a small bottle to
use on an approx. 2' x 2' surface.

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a kitchen
cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas stove?
Nothing seems to shift it.

I can take the extractor hood off, but I still can't clean it.

The stuff you use to clean clothes works fine, albeit powder or liquid.
I am at a step far later than you, I have to remove the whole extractor
unit and detail steam clean it.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 23:24:36 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

One of the best things I've found for that stuff is Tesco cleaning wipes
+ elbow grease. If you're really serious then oven cleaners/hydroxide
will shift it but can damage the finish on surfaces.

However the Tesco wipes are very good at degreasing. Another good option
is the "Mr Muscle" degreaser sold for use in commercial kitchens. It's
not sold in supermarkets but you can get it from Cash & Carry stores
such as CostCo, Bookers or Makro.

Best i've found is Hagesan grease away, £2.45 in a 500ml spray bottle
from amazon.

Or google for other suppliers.

Refills are available for a little bit more but are 6x concentrated.

Doesn't attack aluminium.

:-)

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

someone wrote:

Thank you for the link, I've filed it. It's a bit expensive, but if nothing
else works, I'll go there. Good luck with your thyroid website, it's useful
to hear about.

someone

Yes - it is expensive. I rather thought that it might be possible to get
similar in smaller quantities from a catering/janitorial supplier. But a
name/description can help a lot.

Thanks - they are not mine, Thyroid UK is a registered charity - I just
came to be very thankful it exists and try to pass the message on. And
we support them as much as we can.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , someone
writes
When needs must I remove my extractor fan front and replace the filter and
throw it away. Everything is gummed up, so I scrub as best I can before
attaching the new filter with masking tape.

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood? This is in a line with my kitchen cupboards
which are also slightly sticky. I've tried everything, like borax, ammonia,
and soda, but nothing cuts the sticky grease on the extractor hood. I've
even tried sticky stuff remover, but there's not enough in a small bottle to
use on an approx. 2' x 2' surface.

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a kitchen
cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas stove?
Nothing seems to shift it.

I've used a steam cleaner to do this sort of thing.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Mar, 22:40, "someone" wrote:

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood?

Steam wallpaper stripper. You can use a handheld "steam cleaener"
gadget too, but they're more expensive and heavy to handle compared to
a cheap steam-bucket & hose.

Use your chemistry too, whatever works, but steam is the trick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
On 1 Mar, 22:40, "someone" wrote:

But what I want to know is, how do I get rid of the sticky stuff on the
front of the extractor hood?

Steam wallpaper stripper. You can use a handheld "steam cleaener"
gadget too, but they're more expensive and heavy to handle compared to
a cheap steam-bucket & hose.

We got a 'proper' steam cleaner, go it 'free' when I bought a pressure
washer. It has a fairly small diameter hose, which makes it very easy
to use.

I'm not sure id have ever bought one, but it does work pretty well.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Toby
writes
someone wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

You know who seems to be the keeper of Kabooooooooooooom type
vidioes/ links. He probably got a bucket / plantpot full of them.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:
[...]

IME the key is to keep the water at boiling point. Caustic soda works
well, but cant be used on many surfaces. Cream cleaner is more
reasonable, and works if the water really is boiling.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"someone" wrote:

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a kitchen
cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a gas stove?
Nothing seems to shift it.

Late into this, but never mind: I must tell you to try White Spirit
(plus lots of kitchen roll). I've used White Spirit[1] for some years
now, having had the same problem you describe.

Having tried lots of things, I discovered that WS works like magic -- no
kidding. You don't need elbow grease, but you do need the kitchen roll
because of the way it all dissolves so quickly.

Having wiped down (or scrubbed, if it's something like your filters) I
wash with warm water and ordinary washing up liquid.

Cheers
John

[1] Or is it Turps? Or will either do? I'll find out when I next do
this job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonelle wrote:
In article ,
"someone" wrote:

Has anyone ever discovered how to get rid of sticky old grease on a
kitchen cupboard-type front? Or, come to that, on the front of a
gas stove? Nothing seems to shift it.

Late into this, but never mind: I must tell you to try White Spirit
(plus lots of kitchen roll). I've used White Spirit[1] for some years
now, having had the same problem you describe.

Having tried lots of things, I discovered that WS works like magic --
no kidding. You don't need elbow grease, but you do need the kitchen
roll because of the way it all dissolves so quickly.

Having wiped down (or scrubbed, if it's something like your filters) I
wash with warm water and ordinary washing up liquid.

White spirit works as a solvent, but you also need a detergent to emulsify
the grease it removes. If you try to use a mixture of white spirit & say,
washing up liquid it will work extreemly well for a very short time.

The detergent molecules in the washing up liquid will try to emulsify the
white spirit. Many years ago commercial chemists found a way of blending
solvents & detergents to give hard surface cleaners with outstanding
cleaning power. The early vesions contained 2-butoxyethanol, but it was
found that if you soaked rats in it for 5 years they caught nasty colds - or
something along those lines.

Newer versions contain something similar, but greener, and don't work as
well, but a good commercial hard surface cleaner is a thing of wonderous
beauty...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Rod, this looks useful.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi. About cleaning stove hood... best thing I've found to remove that
thick, greasy goop is oil - really! Dollop some veg oil (canola or
whatever) on a rag or old washcloth, spread it around and then rub off
the goo. The oil softens the old oily stuff and it does come off. Have
never tried using cooking spray but that would probably work too. Good
luck.

--
gypsy
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Extractor hood John UK diy 3 January 16th 09 11:09 PM
Cleaning Paint off Extractor Hood and Sink [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 18th 07 02:03 PM
Kitchen Chimney Extractor Hood Ed_Zep UK diy 3 October 29th 06 05:49 PM
Making a template for extractor fan hood TRK's Dad UK diy 3 April 2nd 06 01:42 PM
Extractor hood / coal fire Charlie UK diy 2 March 9th 05 09:48 AM