Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Do they make LED lights for a Stove Hood?

On 10/1/2015 9:04 PM, wrote:
Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of
nightlight. But I dont want an incandescent bulb left on all the time.
(due to electric costs). I put a CFL in there and it did not last long.
Even though the heat from the gas rance is quite a bit lower, I suppose
it still heats up the bulb, and causes premature failure. I know they
dont make LED lights for ovens, and probably never will. But for a hood,
is there one made that can handle "some" heat?

Otherwise I guess I just have to put an incandescent in there and
install another fixture on the wall or ceiling for a night light, and
only use the hood light when I'm cooking.

I put LED light strips under my hood ... actually, under the upper
cabinets, too. I used 2 strips, side by side; one warm white and the
other cool white. Either color by itself looked either too yellow or
too blue/white. I used 2 12 volt power supplies to power it. Actually,
there are 2 supplies as a corner window made running 12 volts from one
side to the other very difficult. Back to the hood, there are other
bulbs which we use when we need lots of light, but the LED strips come
on at dusk and shut off at about midnight, or when we manually do an X10
all off at bedtime. No problems in the last year and a half and we do
cook a lot.