Rob Gray

Default Stove Hood Without Outside Vent?

My house is made of stone and was built before the times of modern
kitchens and ovens/stoves. I would like to put an exhaust hood/fan in
when I replace my stove, but it will be almost impossible to vent this
hood to the outside given the thickness of the walls in my house. On top
of that a vent would not look "right" on the outside of the house. Is
there a viable alternative to venting an oven/stove hood outdoors?

Rob
NE PA
Paul Franklin

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:30:21 GMT, Rob Gray wrote:

My house is made of stone and was built before the times of modern
kitchens and ovens/stoves. I would like to put an exhaust hood/fan in
when I replace my stove, but it will be almost impossible to vent this
hood to the outside given the thickness of the walls in my house. On top
of that a vent would not look "right" on the outside of the house. Is
there a viable alternative to venting an oven/stove hood outdoors?

Rob
NE PA

Well, sure, there are plenty of recirculating hoods that suck the air
above the cooktop through a grease trap and maybe an activated charcol
filter and then exhaust the air back into the room.

But, they do nothing to remove humidity, and are only marginally
effective at removing grease, smoke and odor. Better than nothing
perhaps, but nowhere near as effective as a real vent. If you do a
lot of cooking a real vent is very desirable.

Can you get up through the roof? If so, you can use a roof mounted
ventilator with the bonus that they are much quieter than a hood
mounted blower.

If the roof is not an option, would it be any easier to get to the
outside from below, through the basement or crawlspace? Then you
could use a downdraft cooktop or stove where the vent runs down first,
then across to an outside wall and out. If the walls are stone all
the way down to the foundation, are there any basement or crawlspace
windows? You could replace half the window with a solid panel and run
the vent through there.

Keep in mind that long runs are a problem for hood mounted blowers,
but inline blowers are available that can handle much longer vent
runs.

HTH,

Paul

Rob Gray

Paul Franklin wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response. Not sure what the "sure" comment was about
though. My only option from the choices you gave would be to go down
into the basement and out one of the basement windows. Going up is not
an option since the house is two stories with a full attic...
Roger Shoaf

"Rob Gray" wrote in message
My house is made of stone and was built before the times of modern
kitchens and ovens/stoves. I would like to put an exhaust hood/fan in
when I replace my stove, but it will be almost impossible to vent this
hood to the outside given the thickness of the walls in my house. On top
of that a vent would not look "right" on the outside of the house. Is
there a viable alternative to venting an oven/stove hood outdoors?

Rob
NE PA

Go through the roof. I have done several penetrations of existing roofs and
have had no leaks. I also put a skylight into a re-roof and that was no
problem.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Paul Franklin

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 03:02:46 GMT, Rob Gray wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:
[...]

I just meant, "sure there are some options..."

Having to go up 20-25 feet to the roof is not a problem in terms of
operation; with the proper in-line or roof mounted ventilator it would
work just fine. Installation could be a lot more hassle though
depending on what's above the hood location. You are probably talking
6" round or nom. 3x10 retangular duct that would have to be run up.

Take a look at downdraft cooktops or ranges and think about running it
down and out. Disadvantages are that the cooktop is more expensive,
and the counter level vent is not as effective as a hood (but still
probably better than a recirculating hood.)

All else fails, get the best recirculating hood you can afford.

Paul

Patscga

Better than nothing
perhaps,

I had one for 25 years and found it to be a LOT better than nothing.
Pat
Treetops

If you have a cooktop (or stove with nothing sticking up at back), look =
at Dacor for a popup vent that vents thru the floor and out thru =
basement. This one mounts below the counter top at the rear of the =
cooktop. I have one that runs about 20ft along basement ceiling with the =
vent motor mounted on outside wall. It is very effective and quiet. =
Besides it pops down when not in use, so looks great. Its opening at the =
rear of the cooktop is about 1-2" wide by 30" long. Had it for 8 years =
and am very happy with it.

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message =
news
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 03:02:46 GMT, Rob Gray wrote:
=20
Paul Franklin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:30:21 GMT, Rob Gray =

wrote:
=20
=20
My house is made of stone and was built before the times of modern=20
kitchens and ovens/stoves. I would like to put an exhaust hood/fan =

in=20
when I replace my stove, but it will be almost impossible to vent =

this=20
hood to the outside given the thickness of the walls in my house. =

On top=20
of that a vent would not look "right" on the outside of the house. =

Is=20
[...]

Thanks for the response. Not sure what the "sure" comment was about=20
though. My only option from the choices you gave would be to go down=20
into the basement and out one of the basement windows. Going up is =

not=20