Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is best exterior vent for stove top hood?

I need to move the stove top vent hood up approx 8 inches [both of us
hit our heads on the vent hood, can't even duck under it to cook.] and
the existing exterior vent cover needs to be replaced, so...

Tips on moving a vent hood up?

more importantly, I need a wall mount exterior vent cover for the
stove top hood.

We're in Arizona in a sometimes cold *and* windy.area, 25+F, 40kts

Don't want dust coming back through the vent and don't see any block
inside the hood itself.

This is new construction, exterior walls standard 2x6 filled, exterior
surface is stucco.

Right now, I sealed off the vent, and shut power off to the fan,
because
1. don't seem to really need a vent over the cooking area
2. the exterior vent cover is possibly the cheapest plastic cosmetic
grill I've ever seen. Not even mounted well, touch, would fall off
the house type mounting.

Rest of the house is built substantially so this appears to be one of
those last minute cosmetic touches.

Thus, where to get best cover?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 6:33*am, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Some photos of the existing conditions; hood over stove top & exterior
vent cover, would be very helpful to understanding what you;re dealing
with.

Perhaps the hood can be moved back rather than raised to give better
visual and physical geometry?
The hood at my mom's house could below head height but sufficiently
back from the stove top front end so as to not block one's view.

Stove venting is an issue of hood locations, geometry & fan CFM......
a number of combos will give you good performance just as there are
many combos that will give poor performance.

Here is link to some hood options.

http://www.ventingdirect.com/range-hood/c858

I sympathize with with your criticism of plastic exterior vent
covers.
Most vent cover solutions are price point driven, hence, plastic.

http://exteriorsolutions.com/p-349-8...over-only.aspx

Here are some metal vent covers, better materials but not very
"stylish" and the copper thicknesses are a bit skimpy (16oz).
The galvanized is decent.
http://www.luxurymetals.com/range_hood_vents.html

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 5, 8:33*am, Robert Macy wrote:
I need to move the stove top vent hood up approx 8 inches [both of us
hit our heads on the vent hood, can't even duck under it to cook.] and
the existing exterior vent cover needs to be replaced, so...

Tips on moving a vent hood up?

more importantly, I need a wall mount exterior vent cover for the
stove top hood.

We're in Arizona in a sometimes cold *and* windy.area, *25+F, 40kts

Don't want dust coming back through the vent and don't see any block
inside the hood itself.

This is new construction, exterior walls standard 2x6 filled, exterior
surface is stucco.

snip

Thus, where to get best cover?

Check your local codes for minimum distance from stove top to range
hood, then position yours to anything you wish above that. Many range
hood kits have exterior vents with screens/flaps integral as part of
their package. Broan sells these as replacement parts as well, for
example.
If you use the stainless vent as shown in Bob's post above it will
outlast the house.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 10:23*am, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

can't be moved. It's a big solid one.

Arietta CHN001MX30 or CHN001MX36

Don't remember which

Stove hood microwave fan vent Buerste Home Repair 6 February 16th 09 05:50 PM
stove hood vent question [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 6th 07 05:20 AM
Stove Hood Vent Odor Art Home Repair 1 October 22nd 05 05:49 PM
installing wood stove vent pipe to exterior effi Home Repair 1 January 10th 05 07:07 AM
Stove Hood Without Outside Vent? Rob Gray Home Repair 6 December 24th 04 02:10 PM