Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stove hood vent question

We are installing a wall hood over our stove and the best way to vent
it would be to go into the basement and out the wall otherwise we have
a tube or built in box running along the ceiling/wall in the kitchen.
I'm wondering if it is possible to go through the wall and then down
with an above the stove unit. I know downdraft vents go down but is
it legal or possible to vent an over the range hood down? Thanks,
Gavin

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are installing a wall hood over our stove and the best way to vent
it would be to go into the basement and out the wall otherwise we have
a tube or built in box running along the ceiling/wall in the kitchen.
I'm wondering if it is possible to go through the wall and then down
with an above the stove unit. I know downdraft vents go down but is
it legal or possible to vent an over the range hood down? Thanks,
Gavin

Legal or not, the duct will eventually get filthy inside and there'll be no
way to clean it. Is the stove on an inside house wall, or outside wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 1:18 pm, wrote: brevity
snip
We are installing a wall hood over our stove and the best way to vent
it would be to go into the basement

I'm having a hard time picturing that, but I'd agree w/Mr.
Sparebedrom. In the long run, you're probably going to have some
pretty funky smells coming from it.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is on an inside wall. I would have the same access to clean it as
someone would have with a downdraft vent I think. I could access it
from the basement and perhaps put a clean out trap or access door in
the basement. My concern is with airflow going down. Perhaps I could
put a booster fan somewhere in the line. The run to the wall is going
to be about 6 feet. If a hood is installed over an island as I have
seen it must vent a similar distance with simlar cleaning issues?
Thanks for any further input. Gavin

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is on an inside wall. I would have the same access to clean it as
someone would have with a downdraft vent I think. I could access it
from the basement and perhaps put a clean out trap or access door in
the basement. My concern is with airflow going down. Perhaps I could
put a booster fan somewhere in the line. The run to the wall is going
to be about 6 feet. If a hood is installed over an island as I have
seen it must vent a similar distance with simlar cleaning issues?
Thanks for any further input. Gavin

I asked about the outside wall because that would allow the installation of
a wall fan to the outside, which is the best kind of fan for any kitchen.
When I redesigned the kitchen in my previous home, three designers claimed
that ducting from an inside wall would not be a problem. It sounded like
bull**** then, and it still sounds like bull****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 3:46 pm, wrote:
It is on an inside wall. I would have the same access to clean it as
someone would have with a downdraft vent I think.

Except for up in the initial two 90's, or the horizontal section
between them.

I could access it
from the basement and perhaps put a clean out trap or access door in
the basement. My concern is with airflow going down. Perhaps I could
put a booster fan somewhere in the line.

I'm no expert, but shooting from the hip (my ass), sure you can
install additional fans, but I don't think airflow is going to be the
big problem. I think where that air has to turn is going to collect a
lot a funk.

The run to the wall is going
to be about 6 feet. If a hood is installed over an island as I have
seen it must vent a similar distance with simlar cleaning issues?

Again, I'm just guessing, If you can configure some convenient clean-
out accesses it might be ok. Whether it meets code is another
question of which I have no idea of the answer. A flue fire, however
unlikely, I think would be their greatest concern, and something you
should probably take into account.
-----

- gpsman

Heat duct using only silver tape no screws, and oven hood vent question. [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 18th 07 12:01 AM
Stove Hood Vent Odor Art Home Repair 1 October 22nd 05 05:49 PM
Noisy vent hood Charles Home Repair 3 July 31st 05 02:58 AM
Stove Hood Without Outside Vent? Rob Gray Home Repair 6 December 24th 04 02:10 PM
kitchen stove top vent question Jack Sandweiss Home Repair 8 November 17th 04 12:24 AM