Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ants

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen. What do they want in the
bathroom? There aren't any turd or pee around so it is a mystery. Anyone
know about this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 12:20 PM, Esperaunce wrote:
Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen. What do they want
in the bathroom? There aren't any turd or pee around so it is a
mystery. Anyone know about this?

Water. Ants are attracted to sources of water, which is why you so
often find them in the kitchen and bathroom around the plumbing fixtures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:20:12 -0700, "Esperaunce"
wrote:

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen.

What kind of ants -- have you identified them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:57:45 -0700, Oren wrote in

wrote:

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen.

What kind of ants -- have you identified them?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...7H0&ajaxhist=0
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen. What do they want in the
bathroom? There aren't any turd or pee around so it is a mystery. Anyone
know about this?

Figure out what they eat and bait them. That is the best way to get
rid of ants. If they eat sugar, Terro will get them. If not you may
have to get creative. Mix boric acid 12-15 parts food to one part BA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen. What do they want in the
bathroom? There aren't any turd or pee around so it is a mystery. Anyone
know about this?

Damp wood? Anythning leaking? Otherwise they are just indiscriminate
foragers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen.

What kind of ants -- have you identified them?

Oren will **** the queen if you find her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

in Nevada, there's a law against ants coming indoors

they have to stay outside

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

If they're small ants they're probably swarming
and will be gone soon, but that's usually a May-
June thing.

If they're carpenter ants they're a warning.
Carpenter ants live in wet, rotted wood. They
can't chew good wood. So if you have big ants
then look for what's rotting. Water coming in
from outside? Water leaking through the shower
walls?
Many people think carpenter ants will attack
wood and should be killed. That's not true. They're
an early warning system. If you fix the rotted
wood they'll leave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:09:08 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

If they're small ants they're probably swarming
and will be gone soon, but that's usually a May-
June thing.

If they're carpenter ants they're a warning.
Carpenter ants live in wet, rotted wood. They
can't chew good wood. So if you have big ants
then look for what's rotting. Water coming in
from outside? Water leaking through the shower
walls?
Many people think carpenter ants will attack
wood and should be killed. That's not true. They're
an early warning system. If you fix the rotted
wood they'll leave.

Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They
were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with
eggs).
I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out
front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They
| were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with
| eggs).
| I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out
| front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things.
I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere
but in wood. Either way, there's no need to
kill them. They live on dead insects and debris,
doing no harm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message ...

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They
| were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with
| eggs).
| I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out
| front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things.
I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere
but in wood. Either way, there's no need to
kill them. They live on dead insects and debris,
doing no harm.

He's a satanist, just like some others here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:13:02 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They
| were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with
| eggs).
| I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out
| front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things.
I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere
but in wood. Either way, there's no need to
kill them. They live on dead insects and debris,
doing no harm.

When your wife moves her pillow and 20 big assed ants scurry across
the bed, you kill the ants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 07:36:04 -0700, "Esperaunce"
wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message ...

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They
| were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with
| eggs).
| I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out
| front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things.
I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere
but in wood. Either way, there's no need to
kill them. They live on dead insects and debris,
doing no harm.

He's a satanist, just like some others here.

If you don't mind bugs in everything around the house, go for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| When your wife moves her pillow and 20 big assed ants scurry across
| the bed, you kill the ants.

I would have thought it'd be a better idea
to get up off the ground and go into the
house. But it sounds like the two of you
were probably having fun, anyway.

I've dealt with a lot of carpenter ant nests
in wet, rotted wood. I've never seen them
come back. There's nothing of interest to
them inside a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message ...

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They
| were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with
| eggs).
| I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out
| front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things.
I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere
but in wood. Either way, there's no need to
kill them. They live on dead insects and debris,
doing no harm.

You don't seem real bright about carpenter ant(s) causing "harm":

http://www.premierhouseinspection.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ant-damage.jpg

Kill 'em all, let God sort them out!

He's a satanist, just like some others here.

You must be trolling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well over here in Sunny Valley of California I have tried to talk to them
but are clamming that they do not understand me, and I stop for a moment,
coming to think of it I do not understand myself, than I contacted Pest guy
and I said perhaps they understand you because I am from east coast and
we speak international language, he responded to me that I am racist and he
will not come back because I am making fun out of his friends "Ants"

wrote in message

in Nevada, there's a law against ants coming indoors

they have to stay outside

marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:32:26 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| When your wife moves her pillow and 20 big assed ants scurry across
| the bed, you kill the ants.

I would have thought it'd be a better idea
to get up off the ground and go into the
house. But it sounds like the two of you
were probably having fun, anyway.

I've dealt with a lot of carpenter ant nests
in wet, rotted wood. I've never seen them
come back. There's nothing of interest to
them inside a house.

Maybe they weren't really carpenter ants. I never saw their union
card. They were the really big ants.
The bottom line was we tore that room down to the block in a remodel
after that and I never found a bit of water damaged wood.
They had satellite nests set up with eggs in any dark spot they could
find.

This is Florida and ants are everywhere. They are a lot tougher to
kill than the northern ants, based on what I read people say.
I haven't seen an ant that would eat Terro or Amdro in over 2 decades.
These guys are very selective. The last batch of tiny ants I had would
only eat chili, not just the beef or anything else I saw them walk
past. OI caught them all over a little drop on the counter and I made
"chili bait" they are gone now. I had been fighting them for over a
month and I could not figure out where they were coming from or what
they would eat.

I suppose ants all over the kitchen counter for a month would bother
you enough to get rid of them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I suppose ants all over the kitchen counter for a month would bother
| you enough to get rid of them?

Actually I had "sugar ants", the little ones,
in the kitchen this past Spring. But they only
got on the counter if it wasn't kept clean.

They don't really bother me. For some
reason they explore in Spring. (They even got
to the second floor shower this year. I'm
guessing it was some attractive soap smell
that fooled them into thinking there was sugar
there.)
But after a couple of weeks they disappear
again. In my former residence they used to
come under the back door, through the bedroom,
into the kitchen, and up the side of the rubbish
barrel. Every Spring. Spiders would actually set
up shop temporarily along the route, making
webs between floor and baseboard. But they
never stuck around, so I didn't mind.

It's true, though, that I don't know anything
about Florida ants. Here we have sugar ants,
and anything bigger than 1/4" is a carpenter
ant. Seeing them in the house just doesn't
happen unless there's rotted wood. Even then
they're usually visible outside rather than inside.
I've only ever seen one lost ant at a time
indoors.

About the only thing I ever see indoors is
occasional silverfish and, more recently, stinkbugs.
They're a recent import. Of course there are
always a few spiders, but as long as their webs
don't block the TV screen or span a doorway we
get along fine.

There's a type of spider we get in the cellar
here that's especially odd. It looks like a daddy
long leg, but with an oval body instead of round.
When someone gets close they do a strange
defensive "dance", somehow vibrating their bodies
so that they swing back and forth at high speed
in their flimsy webs. Maybe someone else knows
the story behind those spiders?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 13:04:13 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I suppose ants all over the kitchen counter for a month would bother
| you enough to get rid of them?

Actually I had "sugar ants", the little ones,
in the kitchen this past Spring. But they only
got on the counter if it wasn't kept clean.

Like I said, I have not seen an ant that would eat sugar for over 2
decades.

They don't really bother me. For some
reason they explore in Spring. (They even got
to the second floor shower this year. I'm
guessing it was some attractive soap smell
that fooled them into thinking there was sugar
there.)
But after a couple of weeks they disappear
again. In my former residence they used to
come under the back door, through the bedroom,
into the kitchen, and up the side of the rubbish
barrel.

These guys lived here, setting up shop somewhere inside the wall. I
never did see one anywhere else, coming and going from anywhere.

Every Spring. Spiders would actually set
up shop temporarily along the route, making
webs between floor and baseboard. But they
never stuck around, so I didn't mind.

We get lots of spiders, I don't mind but my wife does/

It's true, though, that I don't know anything
about Florida ants. Here we have sugar ants,
and anything bigger than 1/4" is a carpenter
ant. Seeing them in the house just doesn't
happen unless there's rotted wood. Even then
they're usually visible outside rather than inside.
I've only ever seen one lost ant at a time
indoors.

These ants had eggs, they were not just passing through.

About the only thing I ever see indoors is
occasional silverfish and, more recently, stinkbugs.
They're a recent import. Of course there are
always a few spiders, but as long as their webs
don't block the TV screen or span a doorway we
get along fine.

There's a type of spider we get in the cellar
here that's especially odd. It looks like a daddy
long leg, but with an oval body instead of round.
When someone gets close they do a strange
defensive "dance", somehow vibrating their bodies
so that they swing back and forth at high speed
in their flimsy webs. Maybe someone else knows
the story behind those spiders?

Dunno. We have the giant "wolf spiders" and crab spiders that build
webs high up in the screen cage.
There are also smaller jumping spiders that live in a little hole or
crevice and jump out to eat a bug.

Of course we have the giant American cockroach that our state is known
for (palmetto bug) but they are very easy to control

We also have plenty of snakes, lizards, tree frogs and other reptiles
but they don't bother me either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I hada ant problem years ago. i sprayed then sealed the crack they were using to get in the kitchen around a window.....

maybe 6 months later i made some frozen waffles they were yummy good.....

i happened to look into the bottle of syrup that i had just put on my waffles. whats floating in the syrup?

gag, ants flooating in the syrup. i tossed the bottle..

yuk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/2015 01:44 PM, bob haller wrote:
I hada ant problem years ago. i sprayed then sealed the crack they were using to get in the kitchen around a window.....

maybe 6 months later i made some frozen waffles they were yummy good.....

i happened to look into the bottle of syrup that i had just put on my waffles. whats floating in the syrup?

gag, ants flooating in the syrup. i tossed the bottle..

yuk

Once I open up my freezer and found a four inch high
cone of frozen ants. They had found the air escape vent
in the seal.

It was both gross and funny at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 3:44:49 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I hada ant problem years ago. i sprayed then sealed the crack they were using to get in the kitchen around a window.....

maybe 6 months later i made some frozen waffles they were yummy good.....

i happened to look into the bottle of syrup that i had just put on my waffles. whats floating in the syrup?

gag, ants flooating in the syrup. i tossed the bottle..

yuk

Why didn't you eat the ants? They're very nutritious. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Syrup Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 18:57:40 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Perhaps you could get a couple of pet anteaters? People own house cats to control mice, why not an anteater to control ants? ^_^

Armadillos work. Want some?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/2015 09:37 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 9:26:08 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 09/25/2015 06:57 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 3:06:28 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:59:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

in Nevada, there's a law against ants coming indoors

they have to stay outside

marc

You must live in Hendertucky? Argentine ants are not allowed in my
house. Wife says they are okay outside, though.

Foreign invaders. There should be a fence to keep them out.

Perhaps you could get a couple of pet anteaters? People own house cats to control mice, why not an anteater to control ants? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ant Monster

There is a chicken like bird called a guinea fowl
that will destroy an ant hill in 5 minutes flat.
And you get to eat the eggs.

One of my customer's raises them. They have no bugs.
None, zero, nada. It is the weirdest thing. Guineas
are really funny. They will flock up at my car and
try to stand it down. I get out of the car and they
still try to stand my parked car down. They are
pretty dumb.

:-)

Don't the hens poop everywhere? Perhaps the foul fowl see your car's headlights and believe they're big eyes? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chicken Monster

I haven't noticed poop as an issue. They range over about 10 acres.
Not one single ant left.

It is hard to say about the headlights. They are really
really stupid, to the point of being funny to watch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 19:00:51 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

gag, ants flooating in the syrup. i tossed the bottle..

yuk

Why didn't you eat the ants? They're very nutritious. ^_^

Ever see how Chimps use tools by sticking a stick down a hole and
gobbling up ants? I hear the ants are good covered in chocolate...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 17:53:13 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Foreign invaders. There should be a fence to keep them out.

Bugs can stay out side as long as they don't set up shop in areas we
frequent, like the path to the back yard, or on the porch. Yesterday, I
was coming out the exit of a garden center and a fairly large spider was
hanging right about eye level. I nearly walked right into it! I backed
up and called over one of the garden center workers and showed him the
BIG spider. He said he'd move it to a better spot. After I got into my
van I watched him catch the spider and drop it into some bushes nearby.

We had some black widows that tried to set up a homestead on my front
porch. They were dead black widows shortly after I saw them, too. I
don't mind regular garden spiders, but I'll kill the black widows as
soon as I find them. Occasionally, we'll have recluse spiders show up
in random places in the house, too, like on the wall, or even in the
sink or tub. They get an automatic death sentence just like the black
widows.

I have Black Windows in many places around outside the house. They
don't really bother me. They eat other creatures; other creatures eat
them like large desert collard lizards. I'm always careful when
around there hiding places.

http://www.birdandhike.com/Wildlife/Lizard/Lizards_Home/DSC_16814a.jpg

I leave a small space under the garage door so they can come in and
feast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:09:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

The best pest control around here is the southern black racer. I can
always tell there is one in the screen cage because there isn't
another living thing in there.
Once the place is wiped clean, he will curl up by the door and wait to
be let out.

http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Black%20Racer%202.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 16:29:50 -0400, wrote:

[...]

East of you, and I've only seen one in my life time as a kid, is the
Indigo. Solid black, so black it looks blue in the Sun. " It is of
note as being the longest native snake species in the U.S.".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_indigo_snake

Harmless, but if you get surprised it can also make you shyte yer
pants. East of Collier and Lee Counties. A guy in Collier County finds
them and their habituate which is dry areas.

...."Eastern indigo snakes frequent flatwoods, hammocks, dry glades,
stream bottoms, cane fields, riparian thickets, and high ground with
well-drained, sandy soils."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 14:19:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

Indigos are threatened to endangered. It is pretty rare to see one but
these black racers are everywhere around here. They will eat other
snakes so the others have to keep a low profile. I do see rat snakes
of the various colors (red,. pink yellow) and a few scarlet snakes
occasionally tho. I have seen one water moccasin and one of my
neighbors killed a rattlesnake but that was years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2015 3:09 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I don't really care if the spiders are outside in the yard. Just don't
want them in the house or entry ways cuz my grandkids don't know to
watch out for critters like that, yet.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:49:43 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I don't really care if the spiders are outside in the yard. Just don't
want them in the house or entry ways cuz my grandkids don't know to
watch out for critters like that, yet.

_Michigan motorist sets car, gas pump on fire trying to kill spider
with cigarette lighter_

[...]

"His stupidity didn't’ stop him from returning the next day for
another fill up."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/24780872-story

Must be a Democrat afraid of spiders.

Ants! Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 21 June 29th 15 07:21 AM
How to get rid of ants Tony Hwang Home Repair 9 June 29th 11 06:11 PM
Ants Dave UK diy 21 August 5th 07 11:18 PM
ANTS !!!!! Postal68 Home Repair 7 May 15th 07 12:20 AM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM