Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, for all you cowboys

OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.

What are these things called? What do the do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.

What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture? I'm not envisioning well enough from your
description. Could it be a bedroll? A water carrier? A feedbag? There
could be times where the horse and rider were well away from the wagon
train perhaps needing their own supplies - for scouting ahead for
instance.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 07:50:06 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.

What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture?

I sort of doubt it, but I'll look.

I'm not envisioning well enough from your
description.

Sorry about that.

Could it be a bedroll?

At most an unrolled bedroll, and none other men have one. They're
bedrolls must be on the chuckwagon (or did they have two wagons. The
details aren't perfect, of course./) Plus I should have said that the
whole thing was 42 to 48". Too short.

A water carrier?

It's always flat, never has anything in it. Amd awfully big for water.
Too heavy to carry and put on the horse. Would have to bend down and
put your mouth as low as the bottom of the horse's belly to take a
drink. The same width but 3 or 4 times the length of one water bag as
seen in the episode of Wanted, Dead or Alive where Randall has to rescue
some tinhorn in Indian country and his water bag gets shot up, a bag
that seemed reasonable to look at.

A feedbag?

Same problem. Plus it's too long for that.

There
could be times where the horse and rider were well away from the wagon
train perhaps needing their own supplies - for scouting ahead for
instance.

It looks empty. It's not even necesrily two layers. I just figure it
must be, and maybe it's rounded at the front and rear edges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.

What are these things called? What do the do?

Scabbard for a rifle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waaay Off Topic!

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 6:07:35 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Not to take away from this brilliantly formulated question...but did you know or remember that one of the co-stars, Sheb Wooley wrote and sang a number one song?

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=25985

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, way off topic. So why did you post it?
How about a little respect for other peoples'
time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:57:14 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
Yes, way off topic. So why did you post it?
How about a little respect for other peoples'
time?

Did I hijack you, did you lose your train of thought? 2FB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/15 7:50 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture?

Does this picture look like it ?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...99759977_1.jpg

Found at:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31942...-season-vol-2/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:04:07 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 8/11/15 7:50 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do they do?

Could you find a picture?

Does this picture look like it ?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...99759977_1.jpg

Found at:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31942...-season-vol-2/

Might be rain gear or a mackinaw?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2015 8:52 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 6:07:35 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Not to take away from this brilliantly formulated question...but
did you know or remember that one of the co-stars, Sheb Wooley
wrote and sang a number one song?

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=25985

AKA Ben Colder, under which name he appeared on Hee Haw and had
another hit 'Don't Go Near The Eskimos'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2015 9:08 AM, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

Looks like a folded duster to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky pretended :
wrote:

[...]

What I meant was to fetch water *for* the horse when scouting ahead. A
horses neck might not be long enough to reach low water, and if your
horse dies - so do you.

I'm just guessing mind you, with more information I can ask a
professional horse person just exactly what is pictured there.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:04:02 -0400, Retired
wrote:

On 8/11/15 7:50 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture?

Does this picture look like it ?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...99759977_1.jpg

Yeah, that's it, just behind the rider.

Found at:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31942...-season-vol-2/

Up all night. I'll read the text after I take a nap. Does the text
say what it is? What do you think it is. What do others think now that
there's a picture?

Poncho is reaonsable and several were wearing ponchos in the rain in the
episode I watched yesterday, but earlier in what I think was the same
episode, I could see 8 horses at once and only one had this thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:53:57 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:

Poncho!!

Rain gear was covered, but thanks! ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck formulated on Tuesday :
wrote:

[...]

No name calling!

But seriously, I still haven't seen the picture unless Retired provided
the right one.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky pretended :
wrote:

On 8/11/15 7:50 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture?

Does this picture look like it ?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...99759977_1.jpg

Yeah, that's it, just behind the rider.

My expert took one look and told me it is a bedroll folded up inside a
"duster" which is waxed canvas rain gear like a poncho except that it
has a long slit up the back when worn so that the flaps can cover the
rider's legs.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky pretended :
wrote:

[...]

Ah, very good. I'm glad I posted. I figured to talk to your expert,
you'd have to ride over to the next ranch, take you at least 30 minutes.
Well I'm not far off, it's been 25 minutes. It seems shorter. I must
have been doing something interesting.

BTW, Rawhide is a good show. The plots are not simple, and I can never
figure out what will happen before it does. I guess it wasn't a kid's
show, since it was on in prime time. Some of the kid's shows still
strike me as good too.

I"m going to read the webpage after my nap.

FWIW, I have absolutely no desire to buy DVDs of any of the tv I like.
I'm happy when they show it on tv, and I'm good for another 20 years at
that point. Who knows if DVD's will even work then, but I figure
they'll show my favorite shows on TV again in 20 years
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky was thinking very hard :
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:28:53 -0400, FromTheRafters

micky pretended :
wrote:

[...]

My expert is my sister just across the hallway from me. She knew
exactly what it was, and knew it had a specific name, but couldn't
recall it. She went online with her laptop to a place where she knew
they were sold (a tack shop near here) to jar her memory.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a coat. A raincoat, most likely.

Dave M.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:02:33 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:

She went online with her laptop to a place where she knew
they were sold (a tack shop near here) to jar her memory.

....jarred memory: http://www.overclock.net/image/id/8620768

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:02:24 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

micky was thinking very hard :
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:28:53 -0400, FromTheRafters

micky pretended :
wrote:

[...]

So you don't live on a cattle ranch?

Neither of you?

Does she look like Dale Evans?

exactly what it was, and knew it had a specific name, but couldn't
recall it. She went online with her laptop to a place where she knew
they were sold (a tack shop near here) to jar her memory.

Very good. Tell her Thanks, from me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky was thinking very hard :
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:28:53 -0400, FromTheRafters

micky pretended :
wrote:

[...]

No, she looks like Trigger. à²*€¿à²*

[8~{} Uncle Horsey Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/15 12:26 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:02:33 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:

She went online with her laptop to a place where she knew
they were sold (a tack shop near here) to jar her memory.

...jarred memory: http://www.overclock.net/image/id/8620768

Now I remember. I used to wonder about those things in the jar on Gil
Favor's horse. I thought they were for the cowboys to comb their
horses. Whoever would have thought they were tacks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/15 9:52 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 6:07:35 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Not to take away from this brilliantly formulated question...but did
you know or remember that one of the co-stars, Sheb Wooley wrote and
sang a number one song?

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=25985

Aw, they should have let him sing in the saloon scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_KtQ1BqfHM

****ing cowboys Jethro[_5_] UK diy 2 February 11th 11 05:44 PM
O/T: Old Cowboys Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 0 August 31st 08 05:13 AM
Save us from cowboys... Andy Champ UK diy 21 March 31st 08 10:28 AM
OT - Cowboys & the floods Don Spumey UK diy 48 July 10th 07 08:17 PM
F'in cowboys in2minds UK diy 3 July 16th 05 09:55 AM