Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default OT, for all you cowboys

micky was thinking very hard :
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:28:53 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

micky pretended :
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:04:02 -0400, Retired
wrote:

On 8/11/15 7:50 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture?

Does this picture look like it ?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...99759977_1.jpg

Yeah, that's it, just behind the rider.

My expert took one look and told me it is a bedroll folded up inside a
"duster" which is waxed canvas rain gear like a poncho except that it
has a long slit up the back when worn so that the flaps can cover the
rider's legs.

Ah, very good. I'm glad I posted. I figured to talk to your expert,
you'd have to ride over to the next ranch, take you at least 30 minutes.
Well I'm not far off, it's been 25 minutes. It seems shorter. I must
have been doing something interesting.

BTW, Rawhide is a good show. The plots are not simple, and I can never
figure out what will happen before it does. I guess it wasn't a kid's
show, since it was on in prime time. Some of the kid's shows still
strike me as good too.

I"m going to read the webpage after my nap.

FWIW, I have absolutely no desire to buy DVDs of any of the tv I like.
I'm happy when they show it on tv, and I'm good for another 20 years at
that point. Who knows if DVD's will even work then, but I figure
they'll show my favorite shows on TV again in 20 years

My expert is my sister just across the hallway from me. She knew
exactly what it was, and knew it had a specific name, but couldn't
recall it. She went online with her laptop to a place where she knew
they were sold (a tack shop near here) to jar her memory.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.