Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_15_] Chuck[_15_] is offline

Default OT, for all you cowboys

On 8/11/2015 10:27 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
micky pretended :
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 07:50:06 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

It happens that micky formulated :
OT

On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the
men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked
like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't
have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8"
to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even
with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like
draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and
back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do the do?

Could you find a picture?

I sort of doubt it, but I'll look.
I'm not envisioning well enough from your description.

Sorry about that.
Could it be a bedroll?

At most an unrolled bedroll, and none other men have one. They're
bedrolls must be on the chuckwagon (or did they have two wagons. The
details aren't perfect, of course./) Plus I should have said that the
whole thing was 42 to 48". Too short.
A water carrier?

It's always flat, never has anything in it. Amd awfully big for water.
Too heavy to carry and put on the horse. Would have to bend down and
put your mouth as low as the bottom of the horse's belly to take a
drink. The same width but 3 or 4 times the length of one water bag as
seen in the episode of Wanted, Dead or Alive where Randall has to rescue
some tinhorn in Indian country and his water bag gets shot up, a bag
that seemed reasonable to look at.
A feedbag?

Same problem. Plus it's too long for that.
There could be times where the horse and rider were well away from
the wagon train perhaps needing their own supplies - for scouting
ahead for instance.

It looks empty. It's not even necesrily two layers. I just figure it
must be, and maybe it's rounded at the front and rear edges.

What I meant was to fetch water *for* the horse when scouting ahead. A
horses neck might not be long enough to reach low water, and if your
horse dies - so do you.

I'm just guessing mind you, with more information I can ask a
professional horse person just exactly what is pictured there.

Poncho!!

---