Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ****ing cowboys

Last year, the in laws insisted on helping us out, and having the 40ft
single (2x2) slab path alongside the house extended by a slab, to make
it easy for the Mrs Wheelchair to whizz by. They asked their gardeners
to do it. Said gardeners came round, measured and quoted the in-laws
who OKd the job.

Monday morning, lorry delivers big "sugar bag" of sand, and - my heart
sank - a bag of cement. I had to go to work, and when I got back guys
had just finished. They dug the whole lot by hand.

That was last September. Going along it in the dark, yesterday, I
nearly tripped .. their slabs are now uneven to the tune of 1/2" in
places.

Of course it's now a delicate situation ... especially as the in-laws
"don't use them anymore" ...

So now I've got to find a way to get them relay *properly* with the
additional complication that they have ****ed up the slabs with their
"5 blobs of compo" ...

Whatever happened to Cormac (sp?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

Jethro wrote:
[...]

There's nothing wrong with laying slabs on 5 blobs, provided you
aren't laying them on lawn or soft soil, which it sounds like these
have done
I've laid thousands of slabs on blobs and even after 15 years or more,
none of them have moved, this is because the blobs are on tightly
compacted hard core.
Also, this is for pedestrian use only, vehicular traffic must have a
solid bed underneath.

WRT the blobs, these should easily come off if you decide to relay
them - one tap with a bolster chisel will often see them come away in
one.

Our bloke is laying slabs on roadfill, that is, what is scraped off the
roads when they are going to resurface it. The company relaying the road
is apparently paid to get rid of it by the local authority, round here
there is a bloke who takes it off theirs hands. Local builders then use
it as foundation for slabs, rather than gravel or similar.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/