Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pfffffffffffft, cowboys

Haven't had this bungalow all that long. The flori in the
verandah/conservatory (mounted with its back against the wall and up against
the polysomethingorother roof) started to flicker on and off around once per
second.
I thought I'd swap the starter to begin with cept I couldn't see any sign of
a starter.
Tube off, cover off and there's the lil bugger, facing upwards against the
poly.
pffffffffffffft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:27:05 -0000
"brass monkey" wrote:

Haven't had this bungalow all that long. The flori in the
verandah/conservatory (mounted with its back against the wall and up against
the polysomethingorother roof) started to flicker on and off around once per
second.
I thought I'd swap the starter to begin with cept I couldn't see any sign of
a starter.
Tube off, cover off and there's the lil bugger, facing upwards against the
poly.
pffffffffffffft.

Angle grinder job then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote:

Haven't had this bungalow all that long. The flori in the
verandah/conservatory (mounted with its back against the wall and up
against
the polysomethingorother roof) started to flicker on and off around once
per
second.
I thought I'd swap the starter to begin with cept I couldn't see any sign
of
a starter.
Tube off, cover off and there's the lil bugger, facing upwards against
the
poly.
pffffffffffffft.

Angle grinder job then.

surely a fein multimaster will make a neater job of cutting the hole in the
roof to access the starter from outside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote:

Haven't had this bungalow all that long. The flori in the
verandah/conservatory (mounted with its back against the wall and up
against
the polysomethingorother roof) started to flicker on and off around once
per
second.
I thought I'd swap the starter to begin with cept I couldn't see any
sign of
a starter.
Tube off, cover off and there's the lil bugger, facing upwards against
the
poly.
pffffffffffffft.

Angle grinder job then.

surely a fein multimaster will make a neater job of cutting the hole in
the roof to access the starter from outside?

Good idea, I've already sourced a small umbrella to cover the hole. Just
need a bracket now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote:

Haven't had this bungalow all that long. The flori in the
verandah/conservatory (mounted with its back against the wall and
up against
the polysomethingorother roof) started to flicker on and off
around once per
second.
I thought I'd swap the starter to begin with cept I couldn't see
any sign of
a starter.
Tube off, cover off and there's the lil bugger, facing upwards
against the
poly.
pffffffffffffft.

Angle grinder job then.

surely a fein multimaster will make a neater job of cutting the hole
in the roof to access the starter from outside?

Good idea, I've already sourced a small umbrella to cover the hole.
Just need a bracket now.

wouldn't it be easier just to take the light fitting down and turn it
around so that the starter is at the bottom, rather than re-arrange a poly
roof......there's only half a dozen screws involved, and 3 of those will be
the elecrical terminal ones.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...

"brass monkey" wrote:

[...]

That wouldn't work cos the cowboy has drilled a hole for the switch cable on
the opposite side to the starter. If I turn it over I'll have to extend the
cable so it goes through and along the roof then in through the door.
Anyway, with it not being Wednesday I'd have to pay full wack for the cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:

That wouldn't work cos the cowboy has drilled a hole for the switch cable
on the opposite side to the starter. If I turn it over I'll have to extend
the cable so it goes through and along the roof then in through the door.

.... or drill another hole?

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:

That wouldn't work cos the cowboy has drilled a hole for the switch
cable on the opposite side to the starter. If I turn it over I'll
have to extend the cable so it goes through and along the roof then
in through the door. Anyway, with it not being Wednesday I'd have to
pay full wack for the cable.

I hate B&Q on Wednesdays........

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman